Galvanic corrosion between aluminum ad-ons and JK body?

hillybilly

I need the all encompassing wisdom of the forum! I have had a set of Nemesis aluminum skins setting in my garage for six months. Can't bring myself to drill my tub to install them! Now I'm worried bout corrosion. Galvanic corrosion (two dissimilar metals) and road salt. Anyone have problems with either? Any silicone sealant used around the edge or anything? Or does this invite condensation between the two metals? If I could turn back time a year I would have purchased Evo or Shrockworks sliders and been done with it. Do I have any real worry here, or do I just need to harden up and drill the damn holes!

JK'AJUN

I need the all encompassing wisdom of the forum! I have had a set of Nemesis aluminum skins setting in my garage for six months. Can't bring myself to drill my tub to install them! Now I'm worried bout corrosion. Galvanic corrosion (two dissimilar metals) and road salt. Anyone have problems with either? Any silicone sealant used around the edge or anything? Or does this invite condensation between the two metals? If I could turn back time a year I would have purchased Evo or Shrockworks sliders and been done with it. Do I have any real worry here, or do I just need to harden up and drill the damn holes!

What about getting them painted or powder coated first?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is real and one that people see now even with the factory door hinges. If you paint them first or install some kind of gasket between them and the body, I would think you would be okay.

hillybilly

Had them factory match the paint color. Wasn't sure if that would be enough protection or not? Anyone pulled their skins off after a few years for any reason? Wonder what it looked like underneath?
If this would have been my 77CJ5 it wouldn't be a problem... would've covered up the holes instead of worrying bout making em! Lol! I can still remember going down the highway looking at the blacktop under my feet... and Lord those headers and cherry bombs would cook my legs! How times have changed, now I have heated seats, cruise, and A/C. And instead of listening to my leaky header gasket I listen to a iPod! What has happened to me?! Have I morphed into a yuppie? I do still wave though... HaHa! Everyone have a good evening.

the ideal way to treat these panel is to first alodine them. This starts the corrsion process through chemical conversion. Then once the dwell time is complete wash off the alodine and prime and pain. The otherr way is to use a zinc based primer then cover with the color of your choice. The best way to keep galvanic corrosion down is to set up a schedule where you remove the panels clean them up and represerve. You can use a silicone based sealant as long as there is not an acid in it. Look at Home Depot in the rain gutter section. They sell acid free silicone for the aluminum gutters. Using a gasket will only prevent the two metals from rubbing causing fretting. Another option is to use a corrosion inhibitor and wet seat them. There is a product which is made from lanolin called "Fluid Film" which is what I have used on the helicopters I worked on. Great product and repells water really well. Also soften your hands. Preventive maintenance will be your best option. In the high salt climate you are in I would recommend removing them after each winter to clean treat and preserve as needed. If you see bubbles under the paint this is also a sign of corrosion espcially if you see white or grey powder.

Here is the site for fluid film http://www.fluid-film.com/

Hope this helps,
Will

hillybilly

The fluid-film sounds like a more user friendly version of cosmoline. This may be exactly what I need. I'm ready to undercoat my whole Jeep with it! Thanks Will!

The fluid-film sounds like a more user friendly version of cosmoline. This may be exactly what I need. I'm ready to undercoat my whole Jeep with it! Thanks Will!

Not a problem. I have been fighting corrosion for 25 years and this seems to be the best out there.

R/
Will

Prime8

the ideal way to treat these panel is to first alodine them. This starts the corrsion process through chemical conversion. Then once the dwell time is complete wash off the alodine and prime and pain. The otherr way is to use a zinc based primer then cover with the color of your choice. The best way to keep galvanic corrosion down is to set up a schedule where you remove the panels clean them up and represerve. You can use a silicone based sealant as long as there is not an acid in it. Look at Home Depot in the rain gutter section. They sell acid free silicone for the aluminum gutters. Using a gasket will only prevent the two metals from rubbing causing fretting. Another option is to use a corrosion inhibitor and wet seat them. There is a product which is made from lanolin called "Fluid Film" which is what I have used on the helicopters I worked on. Great product and repells water really well. Also soften your hands. Preventive maintenance will be your best option. In the high salt climate you are in I would recommend removing them after each winter to clean treat and preserve as needed. If you see bubbles under the paint this is also a sign of corrosion espcially if you see white or grey powder.

Here is the site for fluid film http://www.fluid-film.com/

Hope this helps,
Will

Zinc is a sacrificial coating. It only delays the problem and doesn't offer a permanent solution. I have steel skins for my tire carrier on my rig, so it's not the same issue you are facing, but I did use rtv silicone to seal the tops and side to the body of the jeep.

Top Bottom