Front D44 Chromo Shafts

Pontiac31

I am going to order some chromo shafts for my front PR44 housing. Just wondering which of the brands is the best choice? Any first hand experience would be appreciated. Just curious what Moby ran before the Pro Rock 60 was swapped in???

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We've run Superior, Alloy USA and even RCV's in the past. What I can tell you is that they all work well so long as you make sure they come with full circle clips. RCV's are nice but, not worth the extra $400 or, at least not in my opinion. Sure, their joints are strong but really, they're too strong and will just push whatever break you have deep inside the shaft or onto your ring and pinion. Trust me, I have seen it happen. Factory shafts typically break due to their c-clips getting pried off and without them, nothing will be left to keep the bearing caps in place. Once they fall out, you will have an axle shaft break. Full circle clips, what are typically found on standard chromoly shaft will prevent this from happening. This is what we are running on Rubicat now.

Pontiac31

Thanks for the reply. I agree on the RCV's. I just broke a factory U-joint in half and took out both inner and outer shafts. I am running factory trail spares but am upgrading and keeping the factory's again as spares. We wheel all difficult technical rocks and really don't want to repair a r&p in a rock garden.

Top Bottom