Tailgate Bowing?

Devallee

Is the tailgate supposed to have a slight curve to it or be completely straight across? The reason I'm asking is that I've noticed mine has a slight curve to it and I've never noticed this before, whether its supposed to be straight or curved. I've been running my full size spare on the original tailgate/hinges for about 2.5 years now and I'm starting to think my luck is finally running out ): BUT I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with it. Any help?

image-2997460428.jpg

I don't know if these will help but here's what it looks like

Attachments

• image-3595050449.jpg
    image-3595050449.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 109

Robar

The Enforcer
The tailgate is built with a slight curve in it. The problems that I have seen in the past is the spot welds breaking loose from the weight of a heavy spare.

Devallee

The tailgate is built with a slight curve in it. The problems that I have seen in the past is the spot welds breaking loose from the weight of a heavy spare.

I've been checking the welds and hinges frequently and everything seems ok for now but thanks for the input!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the tailgate is purposefully bowed out. In fact, there isn't a single straight body panel on the JK.

Devallee

As mentioned, the tailgate is purposefully bowed out. In fact, there isn't a single straight body panel on the JK.

Wow that's interesting! Looking at the jeep I would've never thought that'd be correct. Learning something new everyday :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that's interesting! Looking at the jeep I would've never thought that'd be correct. Learning something new everyday :thumb:

Yup, unlike the TJ, YJ, CJ and just about everything that came out before, the JK body is in fact curved front to back and even top to bottom. Some of this is design esthetics and some aerodynamic shaping. :yup:

Top Bottom