Pentastar oil pump replacement

Showroom

So the cel light came in today and I had a chance to get it in to the dealer. Apparently the engine had low oil pressure and it now getting a new oil pump. It's all covered under warranty but who knows what kind of internal damage as been done. It only has 36k miles on it. Come on. It has the ticking head also but no code for that so they wont fix until its worse. My 98 xj has 180k and has never had a single problem. I love the power of the 3.6 but seems like they have serious problems. Anyone else has oil pump issuer?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Knock on wood no pump issues, but o did have my head changed out at about 23,000.0 miles. Glad to hear they are fixing the pump under warranty. I am at 27500.0 mile now hoping to get 180,00.0 on my jk.:)

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't heard of an oil pump issue until now but, I too have had the head changed out and now have my Jeep in to get the waterpump replaced. The Pentastar is nice but, it is a new motor and clearly have a few bugs to work out.

okimic

My CEL came on Sunday afternoon.

Three oil pressure related codes. (I'll have to look them up). Codes indicated high oil pressure.

Trip to the dealer Monday. Apparently Chrysler recommended oil pump replacement. Wed afternoon pick up.

2 starts later, CEL came on again.

Replaced the oil sending unit on Thursday.

So far so good after.

Dagub

Wow, until I searched for 'Pentastar' oil pump, I found nothing. Starting in January, 2014, at 27,000 miles, my 2012 JK has had three oil pump replacements. Less than 200 miles after the last one (April), the oil temperature sending unit had to be replaced. The dealer test drove it, and the check engine light came back on. Today, they plan to attach a 'flight recorder' and test drive it to capture events leading to the warning.

I have made arrangements to trade it in on a new one. Not only has my 2012 become unreliable, there is no way I could sell it with three oil pumps in it's history. The dealer is making a pretty good deal for me, and I can only hope the Chrysler has solved the problems with this motor.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
So the cel light came in today and I had a chance to get it in to the dealer. Apparently the engine had low oil pressure and it now getting a new oil pump. It's all covered under warranty but who knows what kind of internal damage as been done. It only has 36k miles on it. Come on. It has the ticking head also but no code for that so they wont fix until its worse. My 98 xj has 180k and has never had a single problem. I love the power of the 3.6 but seems like they have serious problems. Anyone else has oil pump issuer?

This is what blew my motor up at 32k, it dropped the oil pump, then it took the internals out

Top Bottom