Stock tire carrier

J-roc

Hey guys and gals I have a question I was hoping I could get some help with I am putting a lift in my JK and going to be running a set of 35s but don't yet have upgraded bumpers still running stock and was curious to kno if it would be ok to put my 35 on the stock tire carrier or if ill have any problems or issues by doing so

dillacom

I had to get a tire carrier, the weight of the tire will damage your door. The welds on the bracket have been known to break because of the weight.

Chicagojk

My door wiggled lose from the weight of my 35". I removed it and am waiting for the right opportunity to get a new tire carrier.

Moochie

I had my 35" spare with stock wheel mounted on my tailgate for 2 years. Never had any problems.

MrJ3sser

I had my 35" spare on my stock tire carrier for a little over a year. The weight of the tire had vibrated the hinge nuts loose and started to make a terrible rattling/squeaking noise. I tightened them up and the squeaking continued. I had to get a new carrier to make the noise stop. You will be alright with the stock one for awhile, but you might as well find a good tire carrier that you like and put it on your wish list.

bl17z90

If you want to do this you may want to avoid the trail grappler...really heavy tire. 2 of my friends have run 34's on the stock carrier. One had the km2 for about a year and the other has had the terra grappler for about a year and a half now.

J-roc

Alright thank you very much eveyone for the help much appreciated think I might try it for a couple weeks and see hopefully ill be ok till I can order a tire carrier cuz for the time being I don't want to change bumpers I haven't found any that are calling my name yet still looking I'm still pretty new to all this

J-roc

If you want to do this you may want to avoid the trail grappler...really heavy tire. 2 of my friends have run 34's on the stock carrier. One had the km2 for about a year and the other has had the terra grappler for about a year and a half now.

Oh really ....that's a shame cuz the tire I got are the nitto trail grappler mts on xd rims

bl17z90

Oh really ....that's a shame cuz the tire I got are the nitto trail grappler mts on xd rims

It isn't a huge problem. I have 35" trail grapplers on my rear carrier it just makes the tailgate bounce and makes me nervous. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine but I just make sure I keep an eye on it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You will be fine. I run my mud grappler on my stock spare carrier and haven't had any problems. Just make sure you get the daystar tailgate bumps to keep your tire snug to the gate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You will be fine. I run my mud grappler on my stock spare carrier and haven't had any problems. Just make sure you get the daystar tailgate bumps to keep your tire snug to the gate.

What he said. So long as you make sure to keep the rubber isolators pressing firmly on the sidewalls of your spare, you will be fine. The problem comes to play when people don't do this as that will allow your spare to jiggle and that's ultimately what loosens bolts and breaks spot welds. This is not to say that catching your spare when dropping off or climbing a steep ledge won't smash in your tailgate.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
What he said. So long as you make sure to keep the rubber isolators pressing firmly on the sidewalls of your spare, you will be fine. The problem comes to play when people don't do this as that will allow your spare to jiggle and that's ultimately what loosens bolts and breaks spot welds. This is not to say that catching your spare when dropping off or climbing a steep ledge won't smash in your tailgate.

Thirded. I run my 35" Nitto Trail Grappler on my stock carrier. I will run the stock carrier for at least a year until I buy an aftermarket tire carrier. I run the daystar extended isolators and they are pretty cheap like $15.

MrJ3sser

If I would have only known this 6 months ago. You would think that the peeps at 4WP would let a guy know that these are needed when you upgrade to 35's to protect your tailgate.

Moochie

If I would have only known this 6 months ago. You would think that the peeps at 4WP would let a guy know that these are needed when you upgrade to 35's to protect your tailgate.

They should have helped you with this but, the info about 35's on stock tailgates and extending the rubber isolators has been posted up for many years.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Thats why there is Wayalife. :yup:

They should have helped you with this but, the info about 35's on stock tailgates and extending the rubber isolators has been posted up for many years.

Jeep friends :rock:

MrJ3sser

Yeah I'm sure it was, but this was before I got smart and did my own research. I took it in to the stealership about the squeaking and they told me I had to get an aftermarket tire carrier. I blindly followed their advice without looking deeper. My fault. Oh well, shit happens. :doh:

jeeeep

Hooked
what all others said about the Daystar spacers - they're cheap and keep the tire from vibrating and wiggling loose. I've had my 35 on for almost 3 yrs and no issues

Top Bottom