Power steering failure ???

Jerms

Can some of you guys speak of the characteristic differences between gear box failure vs power steering pump failure?

I'm losing ps in slight turns but I hear no whining.

GCM 2

Pump failure= whining from pump, whining increase with rpm. Difficult and/or near impossible to turn front wheels at idle. Steering wheel will turn with increase of throttle above 1500-2200 rpms. However, at first start in morning or when fluid is cold, steering feels fine, can turn the front tires like nothing is wrong, may have the whine. As fluid heats, steering at idle becomes more and more difficult

Steering box failure= clunk in steering heard or felt when turning steering wheel. Play in wheel from 1/4 turn to as much as 1/2 a turn in steering wheel (maybe even more). When driving, there can be a big lag from the time you turn the steering wheel, to the time the front wheels actually start to turn. Feels like a free spot in the steering where nothing is going on.

JK12

Pump failure= whining from pump, whining increase with rpm. Difficult and/or near impossible to turn front wheels at idle. Steering wheel will turn with increase of throttle above 1500-2200 rpms. However, at first start in morning or when fluid is cold, steering feels fine, can turn the front tires like nothing is wrong, may have the whine. As fluid heats, steering at idle becomes more and more difficult

Steering box failure= clunk in steering heard or felt when turning steering wheel. Play in wheel from 1/4 turn to as much as 1/2 a turn in steering wheel (maybe even more). When driving, there can be a big lag from the time you turn the steering wheel, to the time the front wheels actually start to turn. Feels like a free spot in the steering where nothing is going on.

Is it a possibility that if the steering box fails it could have a lot of play in it and no clunk?

Jerms

I have no whining, ability to fully turn while at idle both ways and no clunking.

But during parking or making a full turn in a parking lot or driveway or pulling out of my driveway at a 90* turn my ps goes away for just a second and then comes right back. My fluid is good...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have no whining, ability to fully turn while at idle both ways and no clunking.

But during parking or making a full turn in a parking lot or driveway or pulling out of my driveway at a 90* turn my ps goes away for just a second and then comes right back. My fluid is good...

Have you done any work on your steering recently? If so, could be you just have air in your system.

kyle521

I have about a 1/4 to half turn of play in my steering at times. Is this my steering box? Any recommendations on replacements?

WJCO

Meme King
I have about a 1/4 to half turn of play in my steering at times. Is this my steering box? Any recommendations on replacements?

Start by having someone turn your steering wheel back and forth (engine running and vehicle in park), while you look at ALL steering linkage underneath for play. Should be zero lateral play in all steering components. Very rare for steering box to have internal issues.

kyle521

Start by having someone turn your steering wheel back and forth (engine running and vehicle in park), while you look at ALL steering linkage underneath for play. Should be zero lateral play in all steering components. Very rare for steering box to have internal issues.

Already did that, did not see any issues. Only thing was my drag link was leaking a little grease in the linkage but did not have play in it. The 1/4 to 1/2 turn of play is not all the time, only occasionally when driving, but can be very dangerous if it happens at the wrong time.

WJCO

Meme King
Already did that, did not see any issues. Only thing was my drag link was leaking a little grease in the linkage but did not have play in it. The 1/4 to 1/2 turn of play is not all the time, only occasionally when driving, but can be very dangerous if it happens at the wrong time.

The next thing I would do is the same test, have someone turn the wheel while you watch your gear box. When the input shaft going into the box turns, your output shaft at pitman arm should turn also. If the input shaft turns and the output shaft has a delay, it could be a box issue. Being that it is intermittent is VERY abnormal. I would look over all of your steering shaft/column connections too for any play.

Are you saying your whole steering wheel moves 1/4 to half turn before the wheels do? Like 90 degrees of steering wheel turn before vehicle actually steers?

Last edited:

kyle521

The next thing I would do is the same test, have someone turn the wheel while you watch your gear box. When the input shaft going into the box turns, your output shaft at pitman arm should turn also. If the input shaft turns and the output shaft has a delay, it could be a box issue. Being that it is intermittent is VERY abnormal. I would look over all of your steering shaft/column connections too for any play.

Are you saying your whole steering wheel moves 1/4 to have turn before the wheels do? Like 90 degrees of steering wheel turn before vehicle actually steers?

Yes, 1/4 to 1/2 turn at time before anything happens. However, this is not every time. It is hard to recreate while the jeep is parked, I have been unable to do so yet. It is only when driving and I take a turn, usually if i take the turn slow it may not happen, but it seems to happening more frequently.

WJCO

Meme King
Yes, 1/4 to 1/2 turn at time before anything happens. However, this is not every time. It is hard to recreate while the jeep is parked, I have been unable to do so yet. It is only when driving and I take a turn, usually if i take the turn slow it may not happen, but it seems to happening more frequently.

I would check all of your steering linkage for loose bolts and also check around your steering column. Any recalls or dealer work done lately on the steering column area?

kyle521

Hasnt seen a dealer since, I have no idea, so no recalls or anthing of that nature. However, I pulled the axles in December to get them regeared, and it drove fine and was amazing up until last weekend when I went wheeling. After the hour drive home I started to notice it.

WJCO

Meme King
Hasnt seen a dealer since, I have no idea, so no recalls or anthing of that nature. However, I pulled the axles in December to get them regeared, and it drove fine and was amazing up until last weekend when I went wheeling. After the hour drive home I started to notice it.

I would check around ball joints, lug nuts, steering linkage, adjustment collars, etc. That seems very unsafe. And very abnormal too.

Ddays

Hooked
I've been watching this thread but haven't had anything to add other than this: This situation with your Jeep looks like it could be potentially deadly to not only you but other drivers.
I don't want to be over dramatic here but having a 1/2 turn of intermittant play with your wheel isn't something to fuck around with. I'd have this checked out pronto before I drove it.

kyle521

Yeah Im making an appointment with a shop but Im trying to get as much information as I can so I dont get ripped off. Dont really have too much disposable income to throw at repairs as a college student, but Im hoping for the best case scenario.

Ddays

Hooked
I sympathize with ya bud and I'm not meaning to be judgemental or anything, I just want you & other drivers to be safe. Hopefully its not something too serious
and I'm being too much of a worry-wart!

WJCO

Meme King
If this happened right after wheeling, I would visually look over everything for something obvious. Even a bent part really shouldn't cause anything like this. It seems more likely like something is very loose. Being that it's intermittent, I'm wondering if a tapered joint somewhere is slipping out, or something like that. I can't think of anything else that would do something like this. Or if you have a really bad spot in your gear box, but that is VERY abnormal too.

kyle521

So I just went out and tried to look at it again. My steering box seems to be leaking, I can feel a good amount of oil on top of the pitman arm. Im fairly confident this is the issue after talking to some people and looking at it, but Im no expert. I would change it myself if I had the necessary tools at school with me, and I also dont want to snap the bolts holding it to the frame, which I have watch other people do on other vehicles

IMG_0908.jpg

Top Bottom