Long Arm vs Short Arm

TiciTaci

Banned
Something I've been wondering, on a relatively mild lift (say ~2") will there be a difference between a long-arm kit and the standard mid-arms, assuming that the bushings are the same? Or is it only noticeable once you go higher and the control arm angles increase?

Is the different primarily for on-road?

TrailBear

It's usually once you get to 3.5" to 4" and up range that you go up to long arms, it's to get the geometry back so the suspension works how it should. If your lifted to high with short arms, when you hit bumps the geometry is wrong and wants to push you axle back under your jeep , once corrected it would move up like it would if stock. I'm suck at explaining things so hopefully this makes sense, I know there are other reasons but to my knowledge that's the jist if it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Something I've been wondering, on a relatively mild lift (say ~2") will there be a difference between a long-arm kit and the standard mid-arms, assuming that the bushings are the same? Or is it only noticeable once you go higher and the control arm angles increase?

Is the different primarily for on-road?

As you lift your Jeep, the geometry of your suspension will change. Go tall enough and the change will effect the way your Jeep rides and handles. Unlike the TJ before, a JK has pretty long arms as is and really, you can get up to about 4" of lift without feeling the effects of this. At about 4" or more, I personally recommend the installation of long arms as they will correct your suspension geometry making them more like stock. Where you will feel this the most is on pavement but, you will see the benefits in the way your axle articulates. You should know that they WILL NOT give you more flex, just allow your axle to travel more correctly.

MrMadMunky

As you lift your Jeep, the geometry of your suspension will change. Go tall enough and the change will effect the way your Jeep rides and handles. Unlike the TJ before, a JK has pretty long arms as is and really, you can get up to about 4" of lift without feeling the effects of this. At about 4" or more, I personally recommend the installation of long arms as they will correct your suspension geometry making them more like stock. Where you will feel this the most is on pavement but, you will see the benefits in the way your axle articulates. You should know that they WILL NOT give you more flex, just allow your axle to travel more correctly.

X2. Well put.

Jeep ZRV Edition

Top Bottom