Hello from future JK owner in Alexandria, VA

ScottC

Hello everybody,
As the title says, I live in Alexandria, VA and am going to buy a JK in the next 6-8 months. I owned a '90 Sahara when I lived in San Diego, CA but a move to the east coast, monster commute, and a couple of kids made it impractical as a daily commuter. Sadly, it was replaced in the mid-90's. Now that my situation is different, it is time to get back in the Jeep world. I am looking for some advice from those who have travelled this path before so I can avoid some common mistakes. It is just my wife and I now, and our dog who goes with us when we travel. I own an '05 GMC Sierra, and am currently debating keeping it vs. trading it in to reduce the cost. Sometimes, it is nice to have the big truck bed to haul 'stuff', though, so I am leaning towards keeping it. It is paid for, so no loss. My questions for you all are pretty typical. 1) Any strong feelings for manual vs automatic? 2) Anyone buy the 2 door and wish they went with the Unlimited (or vice versa)? 3.) Any factory options that you would consider as unnecessary or "must haves" (Nav system, tow package, etc)? 4) Is a CB radio worth the cost, or is there another option for communication (other than cell phones)? If it is worth the cost, any recommendations on brands/models? 5) Is the hard top worth the extra cost? We are desperately short of storage space, so if it was not on the Jeep, we would have to abuse family relationships and try to keep it at someone else's house. Out of state.

The JK will be my daily commuter. I am getting 10-15 MPG with the truck right now, so fuel economy isn't at the top of my list of important things. I would like to be active with some local clubs here in NOVA so I can learn where the local trails are and travel in a pack as I improve my off-road skills. I have a few mods in mind, but for the near future, I need to avoid anything that would void part or all of the factory warranty. I am somewhere between the Sahara and Rubicon right now. The Sahara would work...but I 'want' the Rubi. I'm all ears if you have opinions on this subject, too.

Finally, I am curious if anyone has any lessons learned from building/special ordering their JK as opposed to finding one on the lot.

Thanks in advance for any input. Fire away with your advice or questions.

Semper Fi,
ScottC

RUMMY

My favorite option that I ordered is heated front seats . I did get the hard top on my rubi but if I did it again I would have spent the money and bought the dual top and color matched white hardtop .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
First Welcome to Wayalife! :standing wave:

My :twocents: is go with the rubi but keep it fairly simple on the options. this will keep the cost down for you. i have a 2 door sport and the only 2 options i have on it is that its an auto and AC (which almost never gets used). i would say stick with a soft top instead of the hardtop, seems like a lot of people on here ditch the hardtop for the factory soft top or for an aftermarket top. transmittion wise i say auto is the way to go. it will be easier to wheel with. as for 2 door vs 4 door i say 4 door. this is an on going battle with pros and cons for both. i will never get ride of my 2 door but it seems like 4 door is the prefered option.

Ldogg

Welcome to wayalife!

I have a two door, mainly because its my DD and I don't have to haul kids all the time. I am also planning on buying another jeep once my oldest son can drive in 6 years, and he can drive mine. At that point it will be a 4 door. The 2 door is super fun to drive but I can see the benefit that that extra room in back provides for sure. I say go drive both and see which one you prefer and which one fits your needs.

I have an auto mainly because I am lazy, and well because I am lazy. :D

The Rubicon's are nice with all the goodies you would want, and I was set on getting one, and plan on getting another one. I have the nav, auto, AC, and power windows. It's an 08, so leather seats would be a nice option on cold topless/doorless cloudy days like yesterday morning, but hey that's what a windbreaker and your heater are for!

You can get a small cobra 75 CB for around $100 and out on the trail I think it's worth it. It's small enough to disconnect and hide in your console and works great. Everything is built into the handset and keeps it small.

Last edited:

simple4life

Welcome! Trails are not to easy to come by these day in VA. I live in by Woodbridge and the nearest trails are west around Front Royal. I am a JKU fan and I would get a rubi if you want a good base. My 2013 Sahara is my DD also. I am still using stock tires and get about 22 hwy 19 over all. Once these are done I will prob do a 33 and a 2.5 inch lift to keep DD compatable ha.

Sent from WAYALIFE mobile app

sean.m.adams33

Welcome to Wayalife! :standing wave:Sounds like you might want a soft top Rubi. I bought my sahara not knowing exactly what I was gonna do it. Shouldve gotten the Rubi in the end. The hard top is nice to have but not if there is no storage option. But no matter what it's a jeep so it will be a smart purchase.

ScottC

Thanks for the input! I have a lot to think about over the next several months. Since I've held on to my truck for over 8 years and 190k miles, I think it is better to get what I 'want' as opposed to just what I 'need'. I have been leaning towards the 4 door Rubi with the premium soft top.

I have leather seats in the truck, and they have been great (as long as the sun hasn't been shining directly on them). Easy clean-up, no fading, etc. How do Jeep's leather seats hold up to the weather? Any advice on cloth vs. leather?

KPM171

Hello everybody,
As the title says, I live in Alexandria, VA and am going to buy a JK in the next 6-8 months. I owned a '90 Sahara when I lived in San Diego, CA but a move to the east coast, monster commute, and a couple of kids made it impractical as a daily commuter. Sadly, it was replaced in the mid-90's. Now that my situation is different, it is time to get back in the Jeep world. I am looking for some advice from those who have travelled this path before so I can avoid some common mistakes. It is just my wife and I now, and our dog who goes with us when we travel. I own an '05 GMC Sierra, and am currently debating keeping it vs. trading it in to reduce the cost. Sometimes, it is nice to have the big truck bed to haul 'stuff', though, so I am leaning towards keeping it. It is paid for, so no loss. My questions for you all are pretty typical. 1) Any strong feelings for manual vs automatic? 2) Anyone buy the 2 door and wish they went with the Unlimited (or vice versa)? 3.) Any factory options that you would consider as unnecessary or "must haves" (Nav system, tow package, etc)? 4) Is a CB radio worth the cost, or is there another option for communication (other than cell phones)? If it is worth the cost, any recommendations on brands/models? 5) Is the hard top worth the extra cost? We are desperately short of storage space, so if it was not on the Jeep, we would have to abuse family relationships and try to keep it at someone else's house. Out of state.

The JK will be my daily commuter. I am getting 10-15 MPG with the truck right now, so fuel economy isn't at the top of my list of important things. I would like to be active with some local clubs here in NOVA so I can learn where the local trails are and travel in a pack as I improve my off-road skills. I have a few mods in mind, but for the near future, I need to avoid anything that would void part or all of the factory warranty. I am somewhere between the Sahara and Rubicon right now. The Sahara would work...but I 'want' the Rubi. I'm all ears if you have opinions on this subject, too.

Finally, I am curious if anyone has any lessons learned from building/special ordering their JK as opposed to finding one on the lot.

Semper Fi,
ScottC

Hey Neighbor! I can recommend a local dealership & sales person that treated me well and gave me a fantastic deal on my Rubi. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss in more detail. Also, don't trade your Sierra. You'll get auction value for it. DO put a for sale sign on it and sell it yourself for Jeep parts money and also so you don't have to keep paying state taxes and insurance. I agree it's always nice to have a truck to haul things around, but a Wrangler can pull an open trailer from uhaul for around $20 when you need the extra cargo space.
Regarding your questions...
  1. I love the manual. Don't get me wrong, the auto trans is (finally!) a good transmission in the new Wranglers but the stick just gets you in touch with your Jeep a little better. For my money, there's nothing quite like rowing your own gears.
  2. I went from a 2 door TJ to a 4 door JK. I really like the extra space and cushy ride on the road. On the trails, a shorter wheelbase is easier to wheel with imho. Better turning radius and much harder to high center it. Basically, ask yourself how often you plan to put stuff or people in that back seat.
    • I love the 430n head unit. In fact, I'm shocked how much I like it and it's something I didn't expect.
    • Things that I find completely pointless (no offense to the guys that have 'em) are the body color fenders and the body color hard top.
    • If you can swing it, get the Rubi and the 4:10 rear end. That's a great combo imho.
    • Don't spring for the extra money on the 10th anniv package unless you like everything about it b/c odds are you are just gonna swap the bumpers as soon as you get it anyways.
    • Don't get the dual top group. If you want the hard top, get the hardtop and just pick up a Trek Top NX after the fact. You can always pull your hardtop later and swap out, but wiring for a rear window wiper/washer/defroster is overly complicated if you start out with a soft top.
    • The Max Tow package (which I foolishly purchased) is a $400 option that includes a receiver hitch and wiring you can do yourself for $100 after you buy it. However, if you want the factory to do it for you then that's cool too.
    • Stay away from the Mopar parts bin. Buy it first, then look around. If you see some Mopar parts you like, do them yourself after the fact. You'll save your self a good bit of money.
  3. Yes, Yes, Yes! Always have a CB if you plan on going out on trails. There are TONS of choices on the market, just make it one of your first to-do's. Everyone has plenty of opinions on CB's, wiring, and antenna's. I've run a midland, a uniden, and a cobra. They've all done well by me. Currently running a Cobra set up that's tucked out of the way. I've got a write up on it on my build thread if you want to see more.
  4. I love my hard top. It's very quiet on the road and since I spend a lot of time in the city and parking garages, I don't worry about things being borrowed out of it. That being said, there are days when I miss my soft top but I can have plenty of fun in the hard top with no doors and the roof panels can be removed at a long traffic light.
  5. Unless you plan to swap out the axles for D60's in the near future and build it into a BEAST, the Rubi is a great place to get started.
  6. I shopped every dealership in a 500 mile radius and ended up having mine built to order. Again, feel free to PM me to discuss off thread as I've already gone on and on and on.

Welcome back to the Jeep family! :standing wave:

KPM171

Thanks for the input! I have a lot to think about over the next several months. Since I've held on to my truck for over 8 years and 190k miles, I think it is better to get what I 'want' as opposed to just what I 'need'. I have been leaning towards the 4 door Rubi with the premium soft top.

I have leather seats in the truck, and they have been great (as long as the sun hasn't been shining directly on them). Easy clean-up, no fading, etc. How do Jeep's leather seats hold up to the weather? Any advice on cloth vs. leather?

I think the black leather seats in the new rubi's with the black stitching look very nice. So far, no wearing issues and the heated seats are great in the winter months. One annoying thing is that the heated seats drop down 1 level every 30 minutes until they turn themselves off. Not a big deal, but annoying on a longer winter trip when you keep having to turn them back on. I'd list it as a design flaw imho.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Hello everybody,

Semper Fi,
ScottC

Welcome aboard Wayalife and thank you for your service to our country!:thumb:
We have a 2012 JKUR which we ordered. I'm glad we did. After haggling with the salesperson on vehicles that just weren't exactly what we were looking for, we switched gears and ordered what we wanted for the same price. Jeep kept us totally informed of the build progress and it actually arrived a day earlier than quoted. In the past we've owned and daily driven three CJ's. As it turns out, the 2012 is a way better commuter than we thought it would be and it's damn good off the pavement to. By the way, 4 doors outsell the 2 doors two to one. We have no regrets, so get what you want and don't look back.
Love Alexandria. I'm guessing you spent some time at Quantico. My Dad was stationed at Belvoir for three years (Combat engineer-solid fuel missles) and I did some time at nearby Mt. Vernon High School. I think Mt. Vernon is still operating. My memories of VA. are there's lots of red clay to sink the tire lugs into. All the best.:yup:

dis_dis

Banned
Welcome.

Rubicons come with a lot of offroad features already built into them and you could take one without mods to a park and will have a lot of fun with it. That's not to say that Sahara or something else won't be fun. But better crawl ratio and lockers are a big plus when offloading. Of course you pay for it upfront .... I have heard that one way to mod the jeep and keep the warranty is to have the dealership install the mods for you when you buy the jeep but that's not cost effective ...

What I did in my case was buy a used one and with the money saved put in some mods ... So that's always an option. I did buy extended warranty too, but no idea if they will honor it since the jeep looks nothing like when I bought it :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScottC

Welcome.

Rubicons come with a lot of offroad features already built into them and you could take one without mods to a park and will have a lot of fun with it. That's not to say that Sahara or something else won't be fun. But better crawl ratio and lockers are a big plus when offloading. Of course you pay for it upfront .... I have heard that one way to mod the jeep and keep the warranty is to have the dealership install the mods for you when you buy the jeep but that's not cost effective ...

What I did in my case was buy a used one and with the money saved put in some mods ... So that's always an option. I did buy extended warranty too, but no idea if they will honor it since the jeep looks nothing like when I bought it :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've thought a lot about buying a used Jeep, too. Still on the fence about it. I love the fact that every mile on my truck (except for the first 16) are mine. I know exactly what maintenance was conducted and when. But the money saved...it is tempting. My plan is to stick with a new one unless that magical used Jeep comes along.

One of the local dealers told me that if the mods are done by an approved vendor, the warranty stays intact. However, I will need to see a little more proof of that than just the word of the salesman.

dis_dis

Banned
I've thought a lot about buying a used Jeep, too. Still on the fence about it. I love the fact that every mile on my truck (except for the first 16) are mine. I know exactly what maintenance was conducted and when. But the money saved...it is tempting. My plan is to stick with a new one unless that magical used Jeep comes along.

One of the local dealers told me that if the mods are done by an approved vendor, the warranty stays intact. However, I will need to see a little more proof of that than just the word of the salesman.

I will be bringing my Jeep for warranty repairs soon to the local Jeep dealer. Granted I have extended warranty, not factory warranty and I have no idea if the repairs will be approved or not, but I am going anyways :). Either way I could try to chat with the service guys on factory warranty and mods ... that is if they don't throw me out when they see my Jeep :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

First off welcome to the WAYALIFE. This is a great place for knowledge and advice. I purchased a used 2011 JKU Sport from my local dealer and received a great deal. All the service was done by another dealership in the area. I would recommend getting exactly what you want on the front end. Prior to purchasing ask the service manager if they can install aftermarket leather seats I would go this route. The leather is a little better quality and costs less. As for your truck I personally would keep it. I kept my 2005 Ram 2500 just because you never know when you are going to need a truck especially if you own a house. As for warranty I would start working on building a relationship with the service manager this will go a long way when you need warranty work. Most of the service writers and managers work soley off commission. I take my Jeep in for regualr service just to keep the relationship up.

R/
Will

Top Bottom