Need some advice

Evilidea

We are planning to buy a 2012 Rubicon 4dr Call of Duty ed. I have been reading stories about cylinder head issue. Can anyone advise me on this issue as most the other forums became dick swinging contest before I could glean any useful info. Thanks.

jkjurny

This is an issue with the Pentastar, but should be covered under the warranty. You should ask the person you're buying from if they've run into it. If its a dealer you're buying from, ask them if they will still repair it once your warranty is up.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Well I have a CoD MW3 and yes I threw a code P306. Dealership fixed it in 2 days. No big whoop.

Evilidea

I read something about it being fixed in ones built later in the year. I msg my dealer to get the build date. Does anyone know when this is a non issue or able to confirm that it isnt an issue in later in the year builds.

TrailBear

Mine was built in may, and no issues, as far as I know they said it was the engines produced for the first five to six months, that had the most issues with heads.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I had same issue. Now having power and shifting problems. But maybe have just a new issue that happened from the repair. Still waiting to hear from dealer.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evilidea

I'm finding that if it was built after the 206th day of the 2012 build year that it should not be an issue so I'm just waiting for my dealer to call me tomarrow to read me the build date from the inside of the door. Either way I will be bringing it up and getting assurances that i will be covered, i'd just rather not have the problem at all, though I suppose not having problems with your jeep isn't truely the Wayalife lol:cheesy:

rdreng

Correct information is hard to come by. Chrysler obviously does not want to disclose the real issues. The information in a couple of posts by people on another forum is probably close to the real issue.

Read post #3171 here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/update-on-ticking-pentastar-new-head-137608-106.html

Read post #3453 here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/update-on-ticking-pentastar-new-head-137608-116.html

I'll leave it to you to determine fact from fiction. The information above was enough to alleviate any fears I had with regard to getting a 2013.

There may be other issues, but without the manufacture disclosing them, it is only speculation. A cylinder head is a pretty basic component of an engine. One would not "normally" expect a significant number of failures (as is clearly happening with the 3.6L Pentastar) at low mileage. Looks like there was some engineering/manufacturing issues early on with this new design. This has to be costing Chrysler $$$$.

Hope the above helps, I was nervous sorting through the same issues you are prior to buying the 2013 model year that I have (these vehicles cost a lost of $$$$). See if the 2012 Wrangler you are looking at has had the head replaced after September, 2013.

Last edited:

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
My honest opinion (for what it's worth), I think the problems with the 3.6l are minimal. I would totally buy another 2012 or 2013 if I could. I truly love my jeep.

sean.m.adams33

I had the head replaced a couple weeks ago after throwing the dreaded code. Took 3 days and was covered under warranty. Runs great. I wouldn't worry about it.

Evilidea

Yea probably will buy anyway but going to check cylinder head part #'s and make sure that if I get the issue it will 100% be covered. Thanks for your input everyone. Thursday is the day no matter how things go I'm driving home in a new Jeep.

Evilidea

Well the 2012 MW3 Ed had the AC/AD cylinder heads so I got it. Will start the slowest moving build thread with some pics later this weekend.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trust me, you'll be fine and even if you do have the problem like we did, it didn't take much to get Chrysler to get it fixed. Ever since our fix, we haven't had a problem since.

Shaved Ice

COD MW3 also here. Head replaced at about 16,000 miles. Back on the road in less than 24 hours. No biggie. Love the MW3 package.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom