locker light just flashing

miguel250r

I have a 07 Rubicon and when I put it into 4 low and try to lock the axles the lights just flash and won't stop flashing as far as if it is actually locking Idk I didn't try. What could be causing this I just bought this jeep a month ago and it was really clean no scratches under the axles or anything in fact only had 15k miles on it real low for a 07. Just hope its something simple

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it's flashing, it means it isn't working. If you have a warranty on it, I would have it addressed as the only real way to get it fixed is to have the locker unit replaced and that ain't cheap.

miguel250r

Ya I don't have a warrentee on it is there a way to pin point the problem without just throwing parts at it like a code reader or something. I read that it could be a sensor or a relay n one guy said it was some sort of computer. I would be happy if I could just bypass the computer to so I can use it in 4 high and 2wd since I do a lot of sand duning to

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya I don't have a warrentee on it is there a way to pin point the problem without just throwing parts at it like a code reader or something. I read that it could be a sensor or a relay n one guy said it was some sort of computer. I would be happy if I could just bypass the computer to so I can use it in 4 high and 2wd since I do a lot of sand duning to

If you're axles have been regeared and the light were flashing all the time, that would indicate your sensor was reinstalled incorrectly. If they have not been regeared, the problem would be mechanical and not something you could just fix with a flash. The internal working components of the locker tend to crack and that prevents them from moving freely.

The flashing light means it either failed to engage or disengage. Since you were trying to engage it it is likely the lack of engagement that is causing the blink. Unfortunately the factory e-lockers have some issue with this. While is is possible that the issue is only with the sensor not detecting properly there isn't really a way to confirm without diff disassembly, so you should be prepared to pay for for major work before you start any. Otherwise the labor will be doubled. (once to diagnose, and then later to repair.)

If the sensor is correct and the locker isn't engaging the bypass mod won't help. Additionally the stock lockers do not work with much speed, As a result, I rarely use them when a bunch of wheel speed is in play.

I know it sucks but at the moment it looks like you don't have a front locker.... :grayno:

miguel250r

Not the news I wanted to hear.. will it cause more damage if I don't have it fixed and never use it? And its the front and rear lock light flashing not just the front

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not the news I wanted to hear.. will it cause more damage if I don't have it fixed and never use it? And its the front and rear lock light flashing not just the front

No, you will not cause any more damage and you are fine to drive it like this. Also, you're front locker will not be able to engage unless your rear locker engages first. Could be that your problem is just with the rear.

miguel250r

OK thanks for the info I guess I'm going without lockers for awhile my old samurai never had lockers and it did just fine I'm used to it

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I found out on my 2012 rubicon it may take some (slow) forward motion and a small release of tension from the gears before it will lock and go solid. Just like the sway-bar release takes a small amount of wiggle before fully engaging and disengaging. Just my personal experience though.

If you truly have an issue it may never go solid. At that point it may need work as WOL has said.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

miguel250r

I found out on my 2012 rubicon it may take some (slow) forward motion and a small release of tension from the gears before it will lock and go solid. Just like the sway-bar release takes a small amount of wiggle before fully engaging and disengaging. Just my personal experience though.

If you truly have an issue it may never go solid. At that point it may need work as WOL has said.

WAYALIFE APP 

Ya I never tried that just sitting still with my foot on the brake might have to try that to see if that works

daltexjeeper

Definitely do this. My 2013 usually requires a very slow forward movement of the gears for the light to move from flashing to solid. Hope it works!

miguel250r

OK tried to use my axle locks again today at the coast when I started getting stuck Cuz I was to lazy to air down the front lock light went solid and physicaly locked but the rear light was flashing but don't know if it was locked physically or not how can this be possible I thought the rear has to work for the front to engage

Top Bottom