NITTOs

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
There was a discussion on my local Jeep forum regarding which side of a NITTO tire should face out. The Trail Grapplers (and I assume other grapplers) have different block patterns on each sidewall. Is it just aesthetics or is there more to it?

In the WOL short film on how to mount a beadlock Mel states that the triangular pattern side should be out (this is how my tires were mounted by my tire shop). Is it safe to assume that his reasoning is because that sidewall is more aggressive than the flatter block sidewall which gives you better grab when running at low pressure and provides better sidewall traction on obstacles? (this is what I tend to think)

I know Mel and Off Road Evolution have installed hundreds or thousands of NITTO tires and have a good working relationship with NITTO so I trust what he said, but when I get questioned I'd like to have a definitive answer and not say "I know it's true cause I saw it on the internet" :blush

So if any of you guys (you know who you are) have some experience with NITTO please chime in.

-John

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's just a matter of aesthetics. I personally like the plain flat block style shoulder lugs pointing out but, that's just me. I know others who have the triangular blocks out like Paissano and it's fine too. Kinda like white walls in or out - doesn't matter which you go with.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
It's just a matter of aesthetics. I personally like the plain flat block style shoulder lugs pointing out but, that's just me. I know others who have the triangular blocks out like Paissano and it's fine too. Kinda like white walls in or out - doesn't matter which you go with.

Thanks WOL! I just want to make sure I don't sound like a dumbass when these questions arise. We have formed a local wheeling group for this entire East TX area and I get asked a lot of questions now that my Jeep is so much more built up than many of the others.

We have a little mini forum but I always recommend that people join here also. I want them all to be part of the WAYALIFE!

This forum is where I always come to ask the experts! ;)

:beer:

Spartan

It looks like Nitto has their lugs all one size instead of having them change size. As I understand it other brands use different sizes lugs to brake up the harmonics and give a more quite ride without effecting performance. I was just wondering what it is that Nitto decide not to do this if they where trying to give the Trail Grapplers a more quite ride.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Like overlander said they are the same on both sides. Only difference is the "gator skin" pattern on either side wall. Purely aesthetic design I think

Sent from my iPhone

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
It looks like Nitto has their lugs all one size instead of having them change size. As I understand it other brands use different sizes lugs to brake up the harmonics and give a more quite ride without effecting performance. I was just wondering what it is that Nitto decide not to do this if they where trying to give the Trail Grapplers a more quite ride.

The Trail Grapplers ride very quiet in my opinion. Much less noisy than many of the tires with large tread patters that I have heard.

Top Bottom