Rigids in LoD Rear Bumper

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Anyone on here put Rigid LEDs in a LoD rear bumper? I know it can be done but haven't seen a write-up. NR 4x4 sold Meanst some brackets, the lights and a bumper and told him they would all play nice together. Big surprise, NR 4x4 was wrong (kind of like they were wrong when they told him Pintlers and Nitto 35's would absolutely work with the Enforcer kit without spacers, but that's another story).

Anyway, MTG and I figured out a way to make it work but it will require cutting the bumper. Before we do so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had already come up with a better solution.

Thanks!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Anyone on here put Rigid LEDs in a LoD rear bumper? I know it can be done but haven't seen a write-up. NR 4x4 sold Meanst some brackets, the lights and a bumper and told him they would all play nice together. Big surprise, NR 4x4 was wrong (kind of like they were wrong when they told him Pintlers and Nitto 35's would absolutely work with the Enforcer kit without spacers, but that's another story).

Anyway, MTG and I figured out a way to make it work but it will require cutting the bumper. Before we do so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had already come up with a better solution.

Thanks!

Man, I know I've seen a picture of this. I thought for sure I would be able to find a write up on my computer. :grayno: Someone with better kung-fu internet google ninja skills will have to find it. Then again, maybe I should look when I've had more than 4-5 hours sleep in the last 36 hours. :yup:

What edit?

Nice try. Everyone knows you are still trying to look up parapraxis. Here's a hint: spell it correctly before you hit "search." :cheesy:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just spoke to LoD. Great company by the way. I'm always impressed when the person who answers the phone is knowledgeable about their products, polite, well-spoken, and helpful.

So here is the bottom line. If you want to run Rigid Dually LED's in the back of the LoD bumper, the best thing to do is order the bumper with square light cut outs and then order the flush mount Rigids. The standard round light cut out LoD bumper will not work with the Rigid's, even with the Rigid square hole conversion kit, without some pretty significant work done to the bumper.

Needless to say, I am yet again shocked by the fact a vendor (not LoD) would sell the bumper, the lights, and the conversion kit to a customer and tell the customer the three would work together. :naw: Seems to be becoming a bit of a trend with this vendor. :mad:

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Return it to northridge.

And I didn't place the order with them like I said earlier. I went elsewhere. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

That's basically what Northridge sold him and said would work (the Rigid version which is nearly identical). They don't. The LoD bumper comes with a single mounting tab for each light, and the tab is off to the side of the light hole. These conversion brackets work on bumpers (usually fronts) that use the same mounting set up as the factory fogs, which is bolts coming off the bumper. You can see what I mean by looking at the conversion brackets themselves. They have holes for the bumper bolts to pass through.

Even if I could get the brackets to work, according to LoD there probably isn't enought room to mount the rigids completely behind the bumper because of the rear frame crossmember. According to LoD, that is why they recommend the use of the flush mount Rigids because they slide in from the outside of the bumper and, accordingly, don't go as deep into the bumper itself. Of course, Northridge didn't mention any of this. They said the bumper (with round holes) would work with the lights and the conversion brackets.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sh*t just doesn't go smooth half the time!

It's not that. It's the frustation of having a vendor apparently telling a customer that an item would work, when it doesn't...at least according to the manufacturer of the product. I don't mind having to figure out how to make stuff work, but I don't like wasting my time having to figure out how to make something work after being told that it will work fine.

Heholua

Someone here or JKF mounted the flushmounts in the rear round holes(with some modification) and they turned out really clean. He was military and station overeseas. From what I remember, he had to cut some corners in the round cut out to accept thr square flushmounts.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I saw that too. But they are very similar to the rigid mounts. And the other problem is they way they work, there probably will not be enough room for the lights to fit with the cross member. :grayno:

That's basically what Northridge sold him and said would work (the Rigid version which is nearly identical). They don't. The LoD bumper comes with a single mounting tab for each light, and the tab is of to the side of the light hole. These conversion brackets work on bumpers (usually fronts) that use the same mounting set up as the factory fogs, which is bolts coming off the bumper. You can see what I mean by looking at the conversion brackets themselves. They have holes for the bumper bolts to pass through.

Even if I could get the brackets to work, according to LoD there probably isn't enought room to mount the rigids completely behind the bumper because of the rear frame crossmember. According to LoD, that is why they recommend the use of the flush mount Rigids because they slide in from the outside of the bumper and, accordingly, don't go as deep into the bumper itself. Of course, Northridge didn't mention any of this. They said the bumper (with round holes) would work with the lights and the conversion brackets.

Bummer. Thought I might of had a potential solution.

I've had good luck so far with N4x4 and part compatibility guidance.

Paisano

It's not that. It's the frustation of having a vendor apparently telling a customer that an item would work, when it doesn't...at least according to the manufacturer of the product. I don't mind having to figure out how to make stuff work, but I don't like wasting my time having to figure out how to make something work after being told that it will work fine.

Maybe one of these is in order!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375489959.172403.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Flush mount is what we will now do, once the vendor sends out the correct lights. They never should have said the brackets for the front would work with regular rigids in the rear...they don't. The brackets are useless for the rear.

No less important, they should have fessed up to the fact LoD makes the bumper with square holes on special order rather than selling the vendor's own stock with mix match parts that DON'T WORK!

Now we have to cut a bumper that has already been powdercoated to make square holes.

I don't mind cutting and I don't mind work (this isn't even my Jeep); I do mind vendors floating bullshit so they can make a sale.

Last edited:

Heholua

Flush mount is what we will now do, once the vendor sends out the correct lights. They never should have said the brackets for the front would work with regular rigids in the rear...they don't. The brackets are useless for the rear.

No less important, they should have fessed up to the fact LoD makes the bumper with square holes on special order rather than selling the vendor's own stock with mix match parts that DON'T WORK!

Now we have to cut a bumper that has already been powdercoated to make square holes.

I don't mind cutting and I don't mind work (this isn't even my Jeep); I do mind vendors floating bullshit so they can make a sale.

I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with NR4x4, but there are only 2 people that I will deal with there. I would be frustrated with your situation as well. Here is the post I was thinking of:http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-show-tel...-armor-aev-more-lots-pics-258512/#post3354873
I hope the rest of the install goes smooth.:beer:

silverbackjk

I've gone through a similar problem when I ordered my RK lift I was told get the fox shocks in a certain length and after the install on my flex test my rear springs would fall out. iPad to add teraflex donkey dick things of sure of proper name. I should of done better research but it was my first build and I thought they were leading me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom