Chasing Front D/S Vibration Demons

mrmike

More caster will always feel better on the highway BUT, being that we drive Jeeps with a front drive shaft and without locking hubs to keep it from spinning, you do what you can to find a balance between vibrations and handling. If it were me, I would tell them 4° on the money. That's what comes factory and what should do the trick assuming the shaft is balanced.

I'll tell them to shoot for that, assuming the front shaft is the source of the vibe. Thx

Wizard

Before I had mine balanced, I pulled the front shaft, and found the vibration improved but didn't go away, but it's well worth doing to narrow down the problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll tell them to shoot for that, assuming the front shaft is the source of the vibe. Thx

New u-joint style double cardan shaft, too much positive caster and running a much higher gear ratio - it's a guarantee that it's your front shaft. That is of course, unless you are also running a new rear drive shaft without your pinion set but, I don't recall you saying anything about replacing your rear.

Before I had mine balanced, I pulled the front shaft, and found the vibration improved but didn't go away, but it's well worth doing to narrow down the problem.

I just checked your profile and see that you have a front AND rear shaft. IF you still had vibrations after pulling off your front shaft, your rear must be off as well. IF you are sure that your pinion is set correctly, I would have it rebalanced as well.

Wizard

I just checked your profile and see that you have a front AND rear shaft. IF you still had vibrations after pulling off your front shaft, your rear must be off as well. IF you are sure that your pinion is set correctly, I would have it rebalanced as well.

Yeah I had both balanced Eddie, and also a uni in each replaced. Still got a very very fine vibration (which I'm putting down to pinion angle) but massive improvement on what it was like.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I had both balanced Eddie, and also a uni in each replaced. Still got a very very fine vibration (which I'm putting down to pinion angle) but massive improvement on what it was like.

Hmmm, if that's the case and your rear shaft is for sure balanced well, could be you've got a lot of slop in your control arm bushings. If that is the case, I might purposefully set your pinion off a degree so that it sits inline when you are driving.

Wizard

Hmmm, if that's the case and your rear shaft is for sure balanced well, could be you've got a lot of slop in your control arm bushings. If that is the case, I might purposefully set your pinion off a degree so that it sits inline when you are driving.

Appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Brilliant!

I thought it was not good to run a driveshaft u-joint at 0 degrees (inline with pinion) Something about the needle bearings and lubrication.
I see both recommended when setting rear pinion angle. Inline (0) and -2*. What is correct ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was not good to run a driveshaft u-joint at 0 degrees (inline with pinion) Something about the needle bearings and lubrication.

So run your driveshaft however you think is best.

I see both recommended when setting rear pinion angle. Inline (0) and -2*. What is correct ?

You sound like the expert here, why not you tell me.

EDIT: :cheesy: I just remembered why your name rings a bell. Are things really so dead over on JKO that you have to spend so much of your time here now? I mean seriously, being that the information there is so much better, why do us all a favor and spend more of your time there.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?19704-2007blackJk-I-m-not-known-for-starting-shit-on-any-forum

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just asked a question Ed.

:cheesy: And so did I, whatever your real name is. Being that you're the expert here, what is the correct way to run a rear drive shaft and why?

I thought that JKO shit was behind us. I don't get involved anymore.

Sorry, I guess I missed the part where it was behind us. I mean, I see now that you had said something about it and asked to be banned from here but beyond that, I had totally forgotten who you were.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ha!! That's fine. Have a safe and happy New Year guys. I'm out.

:cheesy: Will it be for good this time?

FWIW, you can blame all this on jkrossi. I had totally forgotten about both of you but he got me digging through some of the old hater threads. :D

noroad

:cheesy: Will it be for good this time?

FWIW, you can blame all this on jkrossi. I had totally forgotten about both of you but he got me digging through some of the old hater threads. :D

You can only suppress the symptoms but like i said for life! lol

jims68

Here is my experience and heed my words! If you want pain and sorrow follow my experience. If you want a more pleasurable experience follow what Eddie has said over and over again and again in many a thread and write up. I have slightly different angles and lengths of drive shafts because of the V8 conversion. Tom Woods front and rear also went from 5.13's to 4.10's but probably should have only gone back to 4.88's. Same issues and after getting rear happy, just a small vibe to fix from rear, went to front. The front was WAY out of balance but this just narrowed the RPM spectrum of the vibe. Started at 4.5 degrees and worked my way down one turn on lower arms at a time to just above zero on caster. Now what? Bump steer is terrible! So I turned the C's, gusseted the C's and trussed the axle. Now if I would have listened and saved for the Pro Rock I wouldn't have a 30, wouldn't have wasted all the time modifying it and wasted money on parts I can barely recoup cents on the dollar for! You know the saying real world higher education is expensive and yes it is! Point being every change you make causes 2 more problems which lead to 4 to 8 on and on so you need to stop the cycle before this happens. Knowing what I know now I would have gone the different axle route and probably a different aftermarket DS. Its great you guys are asking questions its the listening I have found personally, myself, that can be lacking. Food for thought I guess! Good Luck!

P.S. Some may be wondering if all this worked out? Yes it did but two wrongs don't make a right!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my experience and heed my words! If you want pain and sorrow follow my experience. If you want a more pleasurable experience follow what Eddie has said over and over again and again in many a thread and write up. I have slightly different angles and lengths of drive shafts because of the V8 conversion. Tom Woods front and rear also went from 5.13's to 4.10's but probably should have only gone back to 4.88's. Same issues and after getting rear happy, just a small vibe to fix from rear, went to front. The front was WAY out of balance but this just narrowed the RPM spectrum of the vibe. Started at 4.5 degrees and worked my way down one turn on lower arms at a time to just above zero on caster. Now what? Bump steer is terrible! So I turned the C's, gusseted the C's and trussed the axle. Now if I would have listened and saved for the Pro Rock I wouldn't have a 30, wouldn't have wasted all the time modifying it and wasted money on parts I can barely recoup cents on the dollar for! You know the saying real world higher education is expensive and yes it is! Point being every change you make causes 2 more problems which lead to 4 to 8 on and on so you need to stop the cycle before this happens. Knowing what I know now I would have gone the different axle route and probably a different aftermarket DS. Its great you guys are asking questions its the listening I have found personally, myself, that can be lacking. Food for thought I guess! Good Luck!

P.S. Some may be wondering if all this worked out? Yes it did but two wrongs don't make a right!

Sucks that you had to find out the hard way but at least now, you have first hand experience.

jims68

Well Eddie it is kind of like sticking your toes or a hand into a spinning lawn mower blade. You only do it once! But wait the government fixed, mandated, that by making lawn mowers total pieces of crap so you can't do this any more! Bad example!!!

Top Bottom