LS swap into a 97 TJ

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Wow, that grill was a pain in the ass to get off. I hate that there was a harness going through it. Nonetheless, I got it off, and started pulling hoses and wires from the motor to get it ready to pull. IMG_20171025_213339.jpg IMG_20171025_214012.jpg IMG_20171025_214025.jpg what you see here is me accidentally bumping my oil catch pan out of the way as I removed the lower radiator hose. And on the same night that I ran out of floor dry IMG_20171025_222842.jpg

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Thinking about a lunchbox locker for now... Any thoughts? I'd go with spartan because their newest version is supposedly pretty good. Next summer I'm thinking about doing air lockers when I regear so this might be a temporary thing

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
These late nights are going to be the death of me. I finished up the transfer case and moved to the transmission.

Are you doing a full overhaul or just changing bearings?

Thinking about a lunchbox locker for now... Any thoughts? I'd go with spartan because their newest version is supposedly pretty good. Next summer I'm thinking about doing air lockers when I regear so this might be a temporary thing

I think you'll be happier with a selectable locker in the long-run.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Goddamn I hate synchro gears. Transmission is fully rebuilt so I just have to pick a new bearing from Napa and then seal the case up. That idler gear added another 30 minutes to put the assembly into the case. IMG_20171031_144238.jpg IMG_20171031_144244.jpg IMG_20171031_144253.jpg

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I got the driveshafts out and that was a bitch in itself because my wobbly extensions started stripping the corners and just spun. IMG_20171101_232416.jpg two questions for the knowledgeable mass. First, how would I go about removing the automatic transmission cross member from the skid. One of the nuts I'm pretty sure is stripped. Second, I'm not sure but I think the transfer case I picked up has an sye and I never caught it. IMG_20171101_220323.jpg IMG_20171101_220307.jpg the first two pictures are my transfer case and rear driveshaft with an obvious slip yoke. IMG_20171101_220302.jpg this is the rear of the transfer I picked up and rebuilt. Any thoughts? Thanks guys for the help and positive support. You're one of the reasons I haven't called it quits and sold off what I have!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not real familiar with models of TCASEs but I would think you could install what you have and then a driveshaft shop could build you a shaft for your rig.

As far as the stripped bolt, see if you can get a cut off wheel on a grinder and cut it off or use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Any pictures of the stripped bolt/nut?

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I'm not real familiar with models of TCASEs but I would think you could install what you have and then a driveshaft shop could build you a shaft for your rig.

As far as the stripped bolt, see if you can get a cut off wheel on a grinder and cut it off or use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Any pictures of the stripped bolt/nut?
No pictures yet but it's going to be very hard to get to it to cut it. It's inset into the slid.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Did a little more research and it turns out that yes indeed this transfer has a slip yoke eliminator so I really got a hell of a deal on this case. Cv driveshafts in the rear now which is great.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
It looks like Oregon is only an obd test state. So no visual and no sniffer test. Theoretically I could run a straight pipe to a muffler and then a tail pipe so I'm legal for sound... I could put a shelled cat on there if I get pulled over. And I can reprogram. The ECU to ignore the O2 sensors. Anyone have any input? Just worried about wiring for the sensors.

Top Bottom