EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

bouche03

If I could make a suggestion - You would be better served staying in Ouray rather than Telluride. The trails will be a lot more accessible that way. Otherwise you have to travel over a pass (Imogene or Ophir) just to get to them. Almost all of the trailheads are off of Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) which comes directly out of Ouray to the south.

My recommendation:

Day 1 - Black Bear Pass, lunch in Telluride, Imogene Pass back to Ouray. This is the classic setup and should be non-negotiable. :D

Day 2 - First mile of Mineral Creek -> Poughkeepsie Gulch -> Corkscrew Gulch.

Day 3 - Mineral Creek -> Engineer Pass, out and back, or maybe Red Mountain Pass or Clear Lake.

Would it be worthwhile to hit Ophir pass while we are out that way?

Brute

Hooked
Bummer...I will be spending a couple days in Seoul prior to flying into Kamchatka August 4-12 to fish...I could possibly make a Colorado trip at the end of August if anyone else is interested...and bring some fishing gear to boot...

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Subscribed! We'll have to see how much PTO I burn early in the year. But this would be awesome!

Slimebones

I had an absolutely AWESOME time out in Moab this last spring with a small group of other WAL'ers! And furthermore, would love to meet and run with you all. But frankly, it takes a tougher guy than me to be out there in August. You guys are hardcore for sure.
Also, being from Colorado, I would strongly advise you take Boardsurfer's recommendations on the Co trails and stay in Ouray too.

jesse3638

Hooked
Being I'll have a new schedule next summer I'm not sure about time off yet. I'd love to make part of this trip if possible but won't be able to commit until much later. Definitely subscribed.

Ddays

Hooked
Lol, Moab folks are gonna be wondering what in the hell is goin on - Easter Jeep was already here :thinking:

jesse3638

Hooked
Lol, Moab folks are gonna be wondering what in the hell is goin on - Easter Jeep was already here :thinking:

Literally it will be hell. I was there in late June a couple years ago and it was super hot. I live in the desert so I'm kind of used to it...haha.

Ddays

Hooked
Literally it will be hell. I was there in late June a couple years ago and it was super hot. I live in the desert so I'm kind of used to it...haha.

Ya, we were there over July 4th in 2016 and it was hot - like 109* the one day- but honestly we were all having so much fun that it didn't really bother us much. Except when the fucking moron East Coasters decided to make the hike to see the Delicate Arch at 1:00 in the afternoon with one bottle of water each. :crazyeyes: Profuse sweating ensued. Lesson learned and we stopped at the City Market & bought 25 cases or water on the way back.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Last time I was in Moab in the summer it was 113 degrees. That was 25 years ago, before the hoax of climate change. It’ll probably be 116 now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bouche03

Could any of the Colorado WOF'ers help on the CO end of things...is it worth looking at the Alpine Loop, or doing Poughkeepsie Gulch?

jesse3638

Hooked
Ya, we were there over July 4th in 2016 and it was hot - like 109* the one day- but honestly we were all having so much fun that it didn't really bother us much. Except when the fucking moron East Coasters decided to make the hike to see the Delicate Arch at 1:00 in the afternoon with one bottle of water each. :crazyeyes: Profuse sweating ensued. Lesson learned and we stopped at the City Market & bought 25 cases or water on the way back.

Haha. Yeah we were going to do that hike. It was about noon and I said absolutely not. We're not prepared so lets just walk to the observation point and see it. We came back that November and hiked to it when it was about 25 degrees cooler.

wjtstudios

Hooked
WHOOOOAAA!! I stay off the forum one day due to work and this thread is already 4 pages long!!!

My only issue with dates is that My son stays with us all through summer and I usually take him back to Puerto Rico that first week of August as classes usually start for him between the second and third week of Aug. I know it's super early so I'm subscribing and I'll see how it takes shape. Needless to say this sounds like the trip of a lifetime and something worth going to.

Hope you can get everything to work out!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
I would love to go to this, sounds amazing especially with great people. I'll subscribe and see if I can work it out. Might not be able to stay the whole 2 weeks but might can manage 1 week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’ll be great to wheel with you again, hope it works out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Bummer...I will be spending a couple days in Seoul prior to flying into Kamchatka August 4-12 to fish...I could possibly make a Colorado trip at the end of August if anyone else is interested...and bring some fishing gear to boot...

Ok, that’s about the only adventure that might top this one! It’s going to be a truly amazing trip over there. We’ll have a chance someday to make a run together and pack a fly rod to make it interesting.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom