EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had an absolutely AWESOME time out in Moab this last spring with a small group of other WAL'ers! And furthermore, would love to meet and run with you all. But frankly, it takes a tougher guy than me to be out there in August. You guys are hardcore for sure.
Also, being from Colorado, I would strongly advise you take Boardsurfer's recommendations on the Co trails and stay in Ouray too.

Just make the second half in Colorado if it works out. I’m sure we’re going to be adding and losing members throughout the run.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Wouldn't you know it - I Just checked the Ouray KOA and all of the cabins with bathrooms are unavailable both of those weeks. Looks like plenty of other lodging is available though. There looks to be a ton of other places in Ouray so finding places should be easy.

Try Twin Peaks in Ouray. Their rooms are affordable and they have a lot to park trailers if you have one. Also, this past summer when I was there in late July, it was 70* in Ouray and 95* in Moab. Late July is monsoon season for Utah so temps can be lower than in May and June.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Being I'll have a new schedule next summer I'm not sure about time off yet. I'd love to make part of this trip if possible but won't be able to commit until much later. Definitely subscribed.

Hope it works out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Count me in! Hope to be able to make it the whole time. Just have to see how all of the back to school schedules work out. I’ll definitely be out there for some of it. It’s gonna be awesome!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Count me in! Hope to be able to make it the whole time. Just have to see how all of the back to school schedules work out. I’ll definitely be out there for some of it. It’s gonna be awesome!

I can’t wait!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’d love to be able to make it! My wife is off work since she is a school teacher and my job is really flexible. Put me down

Edit: this will be the 3rd time of me planning to go then something happening to where I can’t [emoji51]

1st time: ended up moving cross country
2nd time: tight on money due to being laid off
3rd times a charm lol

Last edited:

Coop

Caught the Bug
Man we got some great folks signing up for this! Epic comes to mind. The itinerary becomes important so we can book and hold our lodging. Always a pain to set dates this far ahead. If we are sure of the time frames already stated above, I’m good to start booking. If there is still some play in this, I will hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ddays

Hooked
Man we got some great folks signing up for this! Epic comes to mind. The itinerary becomes important so we can book and hold our lodging. Always a pain to set dates this far ahead. If we are sure of the time frames already stated above, I’m good to start booking. If there is still some play in this, I will hold off.

I think Bill said something about finalizing dates this weekend. Lol, this thread is getting so long I didn't want to look through the whole thing

PS: Is it July 30th yet?

Jsouder53

Hooked

Definitely seems like it will be a great group!! I’m sure a few more will join in [emoji106] I hope to make both the Colorado and Moab portion, but if I can’t make both it will be just Moab for me.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I think Bill said something about finalizing dates this weekend. Lol, this thread is getting so long I didn't want to look through the whole thing

PS: Is it July 30th yet?

Cool! I’ll chill till this weekend! Ha! This is like worse than waiting for Christmas!

wjtstudios

Hooked
OK, I just updated the OP with some tentative dates, a list of trail, and a possible "who's going" list. I agree with Ddays and Coop, the sooner we can book the accommodations, the better. I've been looking at Telluride, so I need to change my focus to Ouray if everyone agrees that's a better home base for that half of the trip.

TrailHunter

Hooked
How in the Hell do you people take 2 weeks off work? Are you all P.E. teachers or something? Lol... Looks like a great group... Maybe a miracle will happen and I’ll have no Jobs then.. [emoji51]

wjtstudios

Hooked
How in the Hell do you people take 2 weeks off work? Are you all P.E. teachers or something? Lol... Looks like a great group... Maybe a miracle will happen and I’ll have no Jobs then.. [emoji51]

Well, it’s technically 13 days so.... you coming!

The good thing is you’re a hell of a lot closer so that’s two days there. Even if you just make part of the run, either Moab or Colorado, we’d love to have you!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom