EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
OK, I just updated the OP with some tentative dates, a list of trail, and a possible "who's going" list. I agree with Ddays and Coop, the sooner we can book the accommodations, the better. I've been looking at Telluride, so I need to change my focus to Ouray if everyone agrees that's a better home base for that half of the trip.

Definitely want to stay in Ouray area.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'd love to throw in Pritchett Canyon and Hells Revenge on the list for discussion at least. I wouldn't attempt these unless someone experienced on these two is spotting.
May also want to throw Fins & Things on there.

Is it safe to start making arrangements based on the dates you posted? They're fine with me. :thumb:

Edit: may want to put suggestion on first post that if you have not been to Moab before, buying the Charles Wells guide to Moab is excellent reading before you get there.

I think we are locking in those dates. I’m sure not everyone will make all of it, but that’s a good baseline that we can work from. I’ll add hells revenge, pritchett canyon and fins and things to the list.

I’ll so add the guide to the first page for everyone.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Right.. Telling the wife (the real Boss) to hold down the fort for that long is another issue.. :crazyeyes: I'll see what I can do for at least the Moab part of it.... this sounds like a fun trip.

Bring her along, my family and a lot of others are going to join the run.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Are you setting minimums for this trip? (Tires, locker, etc)

I don't mean to speak for Bill, but there are enough people going with different rig capabilities that it may be wise to break into a couple groups at times. This is going to be a logistic challenge for sure but as long as we stay flexible there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone to have a blast in both places regardless of rig build.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Are you setting minimums for this trip? (Tires, locker, etc)

I don't mean to speak for Bill, but there are enough people going with different rig capabilities that it may be wise to break into a couple groups at times. This is going to be a logistic challenge for sure but as long as we stay flexible there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone to have a blast in both places regardless of rig build.

I agree with Ddays, I know there are a couple guys already that want to go that are just slightly modified. I’m sure we’ll break into groups if end up with more than 20 Jeeps, which it looks like we might. The west coast guys will have to chime once we are getting closer to which trails suit which Jeeps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
I agree with Ddays, I know there are a couple guys already that want to go that are just slightly modified. I’m sure we’ll break into groups if end up with more than 20 Jeeps, which it looks like we might. The west coast guys will have to chime once we are getting closer to which trails suit which Jeeps.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Can’t speak for CO, but Moab has a range of trails. A number of classics (Eg Fins and Things, Top of the World, etc) can be done with only slight modded or even stock Jeeps. Other trails (eg cliffhanger, Pritchett) are best done with a larger build. I’d suggest having two groups in Moab for that reason and also just to keep things moving along.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Can’t speak for CO, but Moab has a range of trails. A number of classics (Eg Fins and Things, Top of the World, etc) can be done with only slight modded or even stock Jeeps. Other trails (eg cliffhanger, Pritchett) are best done with a larger build. I’d suggest having two groups in Moab for that reason and also just to keep things moving along.

Perfect, thanks for the heads up on that.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

boardsurfer

As far as I know, there isn't anything in the Ouray area that would require lockers and a lift. It's all pretty accessible. We passed a freakin Tahoe on Engineer and followed a guy with a full size Ram 2500 up Imogene.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

That's a good idea. Plenty of trails for all abilities, and by splitting into a couple of groups, each person could get the trails they want.

Some are all day trips, and some, like Fins, and some others, are good for a few hours in an afternoon, after the main trail of the day.

In other news, why is the West coast lagging behind on this run???

wjtstudios

Hooked
That's a good idea. Plenty of trails for all abilities, and by splitting into a couple of groups, each person could get the trails they want.

Some are all day trips, and some, like Fins, and some others, are good for a few hours in an afternoon, after the main trail of the day.

In other news, why is the West coast lagging behind on this run???

I agree westsiders??

They probably think us east siders are crazy for running Moab in the dead of summer.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom