Organizations trying close 4x4 trails

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Ok, I'm hope someone can help me out. Talking with my professor today about a possible paper, and I said that I may do one one on people trying to keep trails open and people trying to close them down. Professor said it was good except that I did have any names of people or organizations trying to close trails. Google didn't yeild any results so I'm hoping that some of you all can help. Who is/are trying to close trails down, who are these environmentalists that want us and other 4x4s off of state property. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
I would guess nearly any wilderness protection group, or enviornmental protection group?

Sierra club comes to mind but I could be wrong.
Locally the US dept of fish and wildlife has pushed for closi g hiking and mountain bike trails.

Search for articles on trails closing and they should site the agencies or groups who support or applaud it.

Last edited:

jeff_in_rc

Sierra Club, The Center for Biological Diversity, and any other "environmental" group you can think of.

It's sad that these groups want to keep man from the planet itself so I say, go live under a rock...........on the moon!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Sierra Club, The Center for Biological Diversity, and any other "environmental" group you can think of.

It's sad that these groups want to keep man from the planet itself so I say, go live under a rock...........on the moon!

Holy S***, thanks that is what I was looking for. I agree, hope that commercial space travel is available soon. They need to just leave.

MountainRambler

Add the Southern Environmental law center to the list,:gaah: here in NC they successfully closed the Tellico trails in the mountains and now they are trying to close beach driving in the Cape Hatteras National Sea Shore. :naw: Also groups like trout unlimited are always pushing for trail closure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the Sierra Club is the biggest one working against us. In California, they successfully closed a ton of trails about 2 years ago by suing the National Parks Service for not doing an environmental impact study of vehicles crossing a meadow. The Park Services decided that they didn't have the funds to do this so, they just closed the trails down.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
As mentioned, the Sierra Club is the biggest one working against us. In California, they successfully closed a ton of trails about 2 years ago by suing the National Parks Service for not doing an environmental impact study of vehicles crossing a meadow. The Park Services decided that they didn't have the funds to do this so, they just closed the trails down.

That is a frustrating thing to know. Since I started this thread the little research I've done has yielded quite a bit of info about both the economical and environmental impact general OHV use has. The sad reality is that if there was a way to keep the few s*** heads from really tearing up the land it would take away a huge part of the argument the "environmentalists have.

Panda

The Sierra club shut down all camping here at lake berryessa in Sonoma county a few years back even taking away people's vacation property, the lake my family vacationed since I was 2 years old (which is a very long time ago) my brother was a very active member of the blue ribbon coalition and fought them till the day he died :yup:

safecracker909

Ok, I'm hope someone can help me out. Talking with my professor today about a possible paper, and I said that I may do one one on people trying to keep trails open and people trying to close them down. Professor said it was good except that I did have any names of people or organizations trying to close trails. Google didn't yeild any results so I'm hoping that some of you all can help. Who is/are trying to close trails down, who are these environmentalists that want us and other 4x4s off of state property. Thanks for any info.

Contact CORVA. They would be able to help since they are on the front lines of defending our trails. At the same time, give them the $30 to become a member. It's the least we can do.

SDG

Caught the Bug
The Sierra club shut down all camping here at lake berryessa in Sonoma county a few years back even taking away people's vacation property, the lake my family vacationed since I was 2 years old (which is a very long time ago) my brother was a very active member of the blue ribbon coalition and fought them till the day he died :yup:

Really? That sucks! I used to go up there and camp when I was in college @ Davis. I was just there a few years ago on a houseboat for a friends bachelor party. Beautiful area, that is sooooo lame!

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Aren’t there cases of these people being eco-terrorists as well? Putting spike strips along trails or blocking them off rocks and down trees. I can only imagine how upset I would be if I ran over a spike strip miles away from civilization. :mad:

Jiffy05

Aren’t there cases of these people being eco-terrorists as well? Putting spike strips along trails or blocking them off rocks and down trees. I can only imagine how upset I would be if I ran over a spike strip miles away from civilization. :mad:

There are cases of that. The most recent one I heard about was on a bike trail someone put a wire about neck level across the trail.

jason08JK

Type in "Earth First!" In Google and read the Wiki write up. These "people" are scary. I heard stories about them running piano wire neck high in tunnels in the desert.

Sent from iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BONDSY

Basically any organization that supports democrat causes, or politician that has a (d) after their name. Be sure to check the latest move to declare the high sierras as a endangered habitat for the Yellow Legged Frog and Yosemite Toad or something like that.

jhires

Also look into the organizations and businesses that are funding them. Follow the money as they say.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Type in "Earth First!" In Google and read the Wiki write up. These "people" are scary. I heard stories about them running piano wire neck high in tunnels in the desert.

Sent from iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

:eek: Complete with a bombing and everything. :grayno:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Basically any organization that supports democrat causes, or politician that has a (d) after their name. Be sure to check the latest move to declare the high sierras as a endangered habitat for the Yellow Legged Frog and Yosemite Toad or something like that.

That is upsetting that we could loose access to trails because of a frog.... :grayno:

jeff_in_rc

And DON'T forget that these same people hire people to "plant" a bug or lizard that does not and cannot live in that area just to try to get it closed. I don't remember the details but a lizard was used for this purpose once and I will say thankfully the the USFS saw thru the ruse and ruled against the nut jobs.

We all in the off-road world need to get our sh!t together to become a force to reckon with. Dirt bikes, quads, OHV's, UTV's, ATV's, 4X4's all need to work as one big group to fight for our right to use public lands in a responsible way, not to be locked out of OUR public lands by anybody! Can I get a "hell ya?"

Top Bottom