Best Jeep Tires for Winter and Snow

daddyusmaximus

The KO2 is the best "off road" tire I've had in snow. I have heard great things about the Duratracs, but have never had them. I'd love to try them, but I don't like having two sets of tires to switch around. I love the Open Country MT on the trail, and the Duratrac won't come close to the sidewall strength of the Toyos. The Duratrac with a tougher sidewall would be close to the perfect tire.

daddyusmaximus

Found this video. Guy says the Duratrac performs great in snow when new, and crappy after 24K miles as the sipes don't go all the way down.

I love the Duratracs. I went out a couple weeks ago and got to experience the gambit from icy pavement to mud to creeks to snow all in one day. They performed flawlessly for me. Highly recommend them.

IMG_1481387791.396091.jpg

IMG_1481387822.043774.jpg

IMG_1481387848.460532.jpg

IMG_1481387875.543560.jpg

They got me home safely. That's what it's all about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

shin0bi1

Duratracs are decent at everything so its a good all around performer. Im from chitown so i understand the midwest winters well. If you are serious about winter driving, hands down blizzaks will be the one you want instead duratrac hybrid AT. People out west dont understand that we dont see powder snow but rather wet, icy, clumps of snow that freezes over quickly in multiple layers. I think the problem with Duratracs is that around 30k marker, they start to hydroplane a lot and do not enjoy them when it is pouring rain outside

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Another option I've seen perform well on winter roads in addition to the usual KO2 and Duratrac is the Nitto Exo Grappler. Those are the 3 snow flake off road tires that I know of. KO2 should have the best road manners, Duratrac has a solid reputation, Exo Grappler is the tank of the group.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Interesting thread. Good info
I've had several of the brands discussed and have had the same experience
My oldest son is getting ready to go to college and he is going north so will need snow capable tires

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
If you're looking for a dual purpose tire, without a doubt Goodyear Duratracs. Arguably one of the best snow tires, even when compared with actual branded snow tires. They work good off road as well.

Thus far, research--including these comments--is leading toward two basic tires. Duratrac and KO2.

I run KO2s and you'll get lots of guys on here that love them. I live in Denver and my wife commutes 45 min to work early in the morning on them all through the winter.

I've had 5 sets of KO. I've found it to be a strong performer overall, including robust load carrying on my trucks. A 60K rated tire, I've even gotten 59K out of one set.

I find that typically MTR's don't fair too well in the light snow/slush, but in deeper pockets tend to dig and hookup quite well. How have yours been in the slush/ice?

This has been precisely my experience in Michigan, with the M/Ts. Between Dry and 4" they are terrible. Give me 5"+, like we just had (10"), and they're fabulous. That's not the norm for me though. Typical storms seem to be mostly Slush-to-3" :)

...As far as the Cooper STT Pros go, I have found them to do exceptionally well in just about every snow condition and icy condition I've come across so far. Way better than Nittos, Toyos, BFG or even the old style STT. But again, this is just comparing mud terrains...

This is actually one type of comment I was very curious about. The STT Pros 'look' very interesting, but comparative views are few still. Unfortunately, locally, they're hard to source. Almost guaranteed to be a special order.

...If you are serious about winter driving, hands down blizzaks will be the one you want instead duratrac hybrid AT...

I've actually looked at Blizzaks. They don't make one for the stock Rubi size. I've had Blizzaks on sedans in the past---huge difference especially in slush/slime.

I appreciate everyone's comments. It'll likely be Duratrac or KO2 I 'spect.

Cheers!

mlbeedle0880

All-Terrain Or Snow Tires

My wife and I purchased our first Jeep this spring, and couldnt be happier! Our 2014 JKU Rubicon came with a few aftermarket accessories and modifications, such as; a 3" lift, kc head lights, and 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MT Tires.

While these tires have fantastic traction on mud and dirt, I fear that they may not meet our needs for a Minnesota winter.

Some folks will get an extra set of wheels and tires strictly for winter use, wich i have no issues with. Yet ther are tires on the market that may be good enough year round for tarmac, gravel, sand, mud, AND snow.

I NEED OPINIONS!
Thank You! 20170602_191021.jpg

Mr Beedle

GraniteCrystal

The go-to answer for me on this will always be KO2s. I live in Colorado. Daily drove them in the winter. Wheeled them in the summer. They handled it all.

madstiles

Cooper st maxx awesome tire mud/snow rated have holes for studs if needed not loud like mt they are like an aggressive all terrain like them so much buying another set for the z71

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

toyotire

There are lots of good AT tires out there that do well in winter driving but none will beat a dedicated snow tire. That said as was said KO2's do really well and have the snowflake seal of approval. Also as was said the Cooper ST maxx does really well and don't forget to look at the Toyo AT2 it also does well. We sipe them here and that really helps. If you do a lot of gravel roads siping sometimes can pick up a lot of rocks but they sure work on ice and snow covered ice. We really are lucky at the good choices of tires that are out there.

aermotor

The newer Cooper STT Pro's are apparently really great in snow, also incredible off road. I have them but haven't been in ice/snow with them yet, but Eddie swears by them.

WJCO

Meme King
BFG ATs are good and Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are good also. The Duratracs are an AT tire but are more aggressive looking. The Cooper STT Pros really are a decent mud tire that performs well in the snow.

ob_tj

In my experience with driving in snow. The two tires that I've run are the toyo AT II extreme and the BFG KO2s. Both performed very well and both are kept on year round

jeeeep

Hooked
when I lived in snow country I use to run dedicated snow tires in the winter on steel rims.

now that I just travel to snow country, I like the BFG KO2's. I imagine any tire that has the winter seal on it would be good - but if I were full time living in snow I'd opt for a dedicated snow tire

Top Bottom