Caught the Bug

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Finished the rear grab handles last week:

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

Using 3/4" EMT and my 1/2" bender (because I don't know any better [emoji38]). First bend starting flush at the end and pulled to 60 degrees:

IMG_4457.jpg

Measure out 4" and make the second bend to 60 degrees:

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

Measure out another 3" past the second bend and trim. At the starting end, measure out 2 1/4" and use a press or vise to flatten as shown:

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

Making sure everything is square:

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

Use a vise and mallet to bend the tang as needed:

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

Measure out about 9" from the tang edge as shown:

(Note that the next few pictures do not show the second bend that you should have.)

IMG_4361.jpg

And press the rest of the end flat:

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

Use a vise and mallet to make the Speaker Bar bends:

IMG_4370.jpg

The top one tuned out better:

IMG_4371.jpg

This should be more like 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2" as shown:

IMG_4372.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
On the "B" pillar, remove the plastic and drill the existing hole with an "F" drill (if you have it) or 1/4" drill thru the next rib (about an inch and a half deep or so) and tap the hole to 5/16-18 through both ribs. The passenger side might have a harness anchor at this hole. Remove and reroute as needed:

IMG_4348.jpg

Next drop the sound bar and make a small incision in the roll bar padding for the top tang. Line up handle, mark hole locations and drill both holes to 11/32" diameter. Test fit mounting using existing sound bar bolt and 5/16-18x1 1/4" long button heads:

IMG_4349.jpg

Carefully line up the plastic trim, mark handle pass through location and drill hole using 1 1/4" hole saw:

IMG_4418.jpg

Add a custom paracord wrap and you're all set! [emoji481]

dlwaddle

Nice Oscar Mike. I have a slightly older 2014 JKU Oscar Mike. It's the first Jeep I've ever owned. Your story is great and I look forward to watching your build. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Great work on those. :thumb:

Very nicely done Sir!

Nice Oscar Mike. I have a slightly older 2014 JKU Oscar Mike. It's the first Jeep I've ever owned. Your story is great and I look forward to watching your build. Cheers!

Thanks gents! This is a very rewarding project because I get to see the results every time I get in the Jeep. Time and patience paid off as these grab handles turned out better than I ever imagined. I'm truly thrilled with the results!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
As nicer weather draws closer and seeing other members sort out their doorless mirror dilemmas got me searching for my solution to this age old question.

In my quest to find the something compact, sleek, machined and black, I found these motorcycle mirrors on Amazon for cheap:

IMG_4497.jpg

I wasn't sure how I was going to mount them, but that didn't stop me from clicking the "Ship It" button.

A few days later, they came in the mail:

IMG_4486.jpg

My initial reaction was, wow, fully machined metal mirror with a really nice finish! Now I just have to figure out how to mount them.

I started with stripping off the unnecessary hardware:

IMG_4487.jpg

And found that the OE door nuts are the same thread as the mounting bolts [emoji848]:

IMG_4488.jpg

First I tried them on top of the upper door hinge:

IMG_4477.jpg

It was good for the drivers side, but not visible at the passenger side.

I flipped them to the bottom of the top hinge which was better on the passenger side:

IMG_4483.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

But, once my wife gets in with all her shit I think the line of vision will be broken.

I then removed a bolt from the "A" pillar and tried that position:

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

Yes, I like that a lot. Now I need to modify the mounting. I cut the mounting pilot off the post, filed it smooth, tapped the existing hole, cut the head off a spare bolt and installed the stud with some Loctite:

IMG_4496.jpg

Now it just screws right into the "A" pillar:

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4489.JPG

I have to finish up the drivers side and will post up some better pictures later today.

JeepJeep75

That is a great spot you found for mounting your mirrors! How do you get the mirror tight in its new mounting position? I would've never been that lucky to have the fastener tighten up with the mirror in that position. Nice mirrors to! [emoji106]

sipafz

Caught the Bug
That is a great spot you found for mounting your mirrors! How do you get the mirror tight in its new mounting position? I would've never been that lucky to have the fastener tighten up with the mirror in that position. Nice mirrors to! [emoji106]

When I modified the post and added the threaded stud (which is nothing more than a bolt that I cut the head off of) and used Loctite to glue into place:

IMG_4498.jpg

Now I can just turn the post in until it bottoms on the "A" pillar:

IMG_4502.jpg

And tighten by hand:

IMG_4499.jpg

The boss on the post fits inside the counterbore on the "A" pillar for a clean look:

IMG_4500.jpg

Then attach the mirror:

IMG_4501.jpg

Admittedly, I got real lucky with how this turned out since I had absolutely no real plan when I bought them.

JeepJeep75

Admittedly, I got real lucky with how this turned out since I had absolutely no real plan when I bought them.

Well they turned out pretty trick looking! Nice job! That's exactly how my mirrors went to. I had no plans on using conduit for the rods, or even using a twin-tube post. The project kinda led itself along. [emoji106]

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The mirrors look great

Thanks! I still have some work to finish on the drivers side and of course some 80 degree days would be nice so I can try them out!

Well they turned out pretty trick looking! Nice job! That's exactly how my mirrors went to. I had no plans on using conduit for the rods, or even using a twin-tube post. The project kinda led itself along. [emoji106]

Thank you! Good idea to start a separate mirror thread - great timing! I hope I find that they are big enough to be useful. I was going to try the mini mirrors on the vents, but read that the passenger side was pretty useless. If these don't work out, I just may make something similar to what you made. Gotta love this hobby we have! [emoji482]

Top Bottom