Oscar's No Build Thread

sipafz

Caught the Bug
While changing oil at 28k I noticed some seepage around the lower oil pan ☹️. I could roll the dice and get a warranty repair or maybe it's just time to get a new skid and do it myself? [emoji848]

IMG_5427.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Last minute solo trip to the Nicolet National Forest. Logged 50 trail miles just North of Suring, Wisconsin:

Heading North:

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

Dairy Freeze, Mountain, Wisconsin. I talked to the guy that owns the Can-Am Magnus. He has over 30k in the UTV. Can’t help but think that he should have just bought a Jeep?

IMG_5665.jpg

Heading South:

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

Found this 1975 CJ5 and immediately had visions of “Calamity Jane”. This one looked a little tired for $5,800.

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Trail riding last weekend to being the coolest ride in the Homecoming Parade:

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

Can’t beat a Jeep!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I altered the front side marker lights to blink with the turn signals. I’m hoping that the modification will subliminally make other drivers more courteous and use their turn signals earlier and more often.

[Youtube]2tp07ZuPa6M[/YouTube]

I loosely followed the instructions found here:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/15486-Blinker-Mod-for-2013

The how to video just shows the drivers side and more importantly to cut the bottom wire at the blinker (white w/brown stripe). In the comments someone mentions that on the passenger side you need to cut the top wire. Note that the top wire is white w/pink stripe. I almost cut the middle wire which is white w/brown stripe which will not work!

Instead of using splicers, I used weather proof butt connectors which took more time, but I hope they keep the crap out.

Finished product:

[Youtube]MpDAvf75Z3Y[/Youtube]

This also my first attempt at posting video, so I hope they work.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Catching up on a few things:

1st - Oscar had his second birthday and got a new Viair 300p. Not top of the line, but I think it will serve my occasional needs:

IMG_6396.jpg

I might make a bracket and mount under the hood in a more permanent fashion.

Next, I started to smell coolant by the radiator and after a bit of investigating I found the leak:

IMG_6554.jpg

The dealership replaced the radiator under warranty. I won’t bore you with all the drama, but I will say that the service department at my dealership kind of sucks!

While I’m about a year out from buying new tires (Cooper STT Pro’s LT285/70R17) I started thinking about making some coil spacers and bump stops. I’m planning on lifting the front 1.5” to clear the new tires and offset the additional weight of my winch. The back spacers will be 1” thick. Today I had the suspension apart so I could get measurements and design my own spacers

IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

Now, I just need to get them turned up!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Had some time tonight to make some front coil spacers.

Found a fat piece of Delrin just begging to be something:

IMG_6585.jpg

Made some drawings earlier today. I see a rounding error on the bore. I actually want to make it 2 9/16” diameter:

IMG_6586.jpg

Love cutting plastic! Half hour and done:

IMG_6587.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Rear spacers are starting to take shape:

IMG_6596.jpg

I was going to make these 5 3/4” diameter and out of aluminum, but changed my mind and used 5” delrin and just turn the OD for a clean up:

IMG_6597.jpg

Based on the imprint on the isolator, I think I’m ok:

IMG_6570.jpg

Only had time to turn one side. More to come later in the week.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Finished up the rear spacers. Started with mounting the half finished parts in the lathe chuck and adjusted for zero run-out using a dial indicator:

IMG_6603.jpg

Turned the spring side:

IMG_6604.jpg

Finished rear spacers:

IMG_6605.jpg

Bump stop extensions are next. I made them out of aluminum:

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6607.JPG

IMG_6608.jpg

Here is a shot of the whole kit, just like Eddie posted for Jet Li, well, minus the new JLUR, 37” tires new wheels, control arms, etc [emoji6]:

IMG_6611.jpg

Working on getting this stuff installed. Might have more to post later.

RockingK

Sweet

Finished up the rear spacers. Started with mounting the half finished parts in the lathe chuck and adjusted for zero run-out using a dial indicator:

View attachment 295834

Turned the spring side:

View attachment 295835

Finished rear spacers:

View attachment 295836

Bump stop extensions are next. I made them out of aluminum:

View attachment 295837

View attachment 295838

View attachment 295839

Here is a shot of the whole kit, just like Eddie posted for Jet Li, well, minus the new JLUR, 37” tires new wheels, control arms, etc [emoji6]:

View attachment 295840

Working on getting this stuff installed. Might have more to post later.

That looks like it will do the job, well done 👍

sipafz

Caught the Bug
That's awesome that you have access to that equipment. Looks great.

It’s really nice! Whether is Jeep parts or new pulley for the washing machine (yup, had to make a new one the other day) I am lucky to have the means, skills and materials to solve many problems.

That looks like it will do the job, well done [emoji106]

Thanks, just finished installing the front spacers and bump stop extensions. More to come.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Installed the front spacers and bump stop extensions. Took a before picture and a measurement:

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6618.jpg

Next I disconnected the front sway bar links and loosened the wheel lugs. After removing the wheel, I set the axel on a jack stand, removed the lower shock bolt, brake line bracket and spring. Then I centered the bump stop extension on the spring perch and used a M10x1.5 tap to center punch the location:

IMG_6620.jpg

A right angle drill works good in the tight space. I drilled a 8.5mm hole, chamfered and tapped M10x1.5 threads:

IMG_6625.jpg

IMG_6621.jpg

The upper rubber isolator was removed, spacer installed and isolator reinstalled:

IMG_6622.jpg

The spring and bump stop extension followed. I used some loctite on the threads of the bump stop extension bolt and torqued to 38ftlbs (about 40% of yeild due to only having a few threads in the thin metal):

IMG_6623.jpg

IMG_6624.jpg

After measurements show a net gain of 1 3/4”.

Before:

IMG_6618.jpg

After:

IMG_6627.jpg

I actually like the more level look of just adding the spacers to the front:

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

At this time I have 5/8” more clearance in the front as compared to the rear. I’m going to live with that for awhile, while I contemplate making the rear spacers thinner or not use them at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom