"Real" lift height

UndeadJeeper

This sounds like one of those math problems that looks easy but the easy answer is wrong:

If I am getting a 3.5" lift and increasing the diameter of my tires by 3", how much higher will the seats be?

I'm asking mostly to see if I will need better grabby handles to help my daughter and her friends get in the back seat.

My first thought was 6.5" higher but that seems too easy...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Depends on how much lift you actually get from said lift kit, tire pressure and where the sun is overhead at the time of entry.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: To be clear, not all 3.5" of lift will give you 3.5" of lift and, if your tire really were 3" wider in diameter (never are - most are a lot smaller), you would only be getting 1.5" of additional lift from it. At best, you are looking at 5" - NOT 6.5"

UndeadJeeper

The 35s I'm putting on really are 3" wider because the stock 32s are actually a little under 32.

Good to know that I won't be going up 6.5" though, or I'd have to get a step stool for the kids ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 35s I'm putting on really are 3" wider because the stock 32s are actually a little under 32.

Good to know that I won't be going up 6.5" though, or I'd have to get a step stool for the kids ;)

All tires measure smaller than what is written on the sidewalls and some are even smaller depending on what brand you get. Your stock 32's should measure closer to 30" and something like a 35" BFG MT would measure closer to 32.5" where as a Goodyear MT/R would measure more like 33.5". Still the amount of lift you get will come from the "radius" of the tire and NOT the "diameter". Again, even if you were to get a tire that is 3" wider in diameter, you would only be getting 1.5" of total lift from them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All good stuff to know. The measurements I got were taken with a measuring tape, not by reading sidewalls :)

cool - just out of curiosity, what was the exact measurement of the installed 35" tire you measured and what are your 32's coming up to?

Rccrwlr

cool - just out of curiosity, what was the exact measurement of the installed 35" tire you measured and what are your 32's coming up to?

Do you measure with the Jeep weight on it or off?

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

miguel250r

Someone should start a tread of actual lift heights for lifts and actual tire heights for different brands that would be interesting

jeepin on a budget

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Someone should start a tread of actual lift heights for lifts and actual tire heights for different brands that would be interesting

jeepin on a budget

Problem is, it would still vary depending on modifications like bumpers, rocker guards, hard top or soft, etc.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

jeepin on a budget

It changes from rig to rig. 2 door to 4 door, armor to no armor, loaded to not loaded and much more. Same for tire size.

Same thing Eddie said.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
This sounds like one of those math problems that looks easy but the easy answer is wrong:

If I am getting a 3.5" lift and increasing the diameter of my tires by 3", how much higher will the seats be?

I'm asking mostly to see if I will need better grabby handles to help my daughter and her friends get in the back seat.

My first thought was 6.5" higher but that seems too easy...

get some grab handles - it makes it a lot easier to get in and out for kids (and some adults) because it's still a big 1st step and the back seats are already a pain to get in and out of without a lift.

Top Bottom