Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Don't even TRY to wheel without..."

Been Around the Block Chairokey's Avatar

"Don't even TRY to wheel without..."

Hey guys, I just got my first Jeep, a 2012 Sport S, and found myself getting completely immersed in the Wayalife video's on youtube which lead me here to you fine folks

Being that the Jeep is brand new and i'll be paying for it for the better part of the next decade I don't think i'll be taking on the Rubicon any time soon but i would love to do some nice trails and a little bit of crawling.

Since I'll be saving my money to build it piece by piece I'd like to get some educated opinions on the essentials to making my jeep trail ready. Where would your Jeep need to be before you would hit the rocks?

Been Around the Block Indefatigable's Avatar
    With a buddy vehicle. Never go alone.
    05 LJ - Hi-Lo-2nd Lo- Stupid Lo
    Herd of Turtles 4WD Society

Quote Originally Posted by Indefatigable
    With a buddy vehicle. Never go alone.
    I second this. Recoverybag, rock sliders, and cb would be a good start in my opinion.

Assuming you have found a wheeling buddy in another rig to accompany you;
    -rock sliders would be my first aftermarket addition
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Rock sliders are a great first investment. You can find Rubi take offs pretty cheap on craigslist sometimes. I would also make your you have good recovery points front and rear. Another handy tool is a highlift jack. Never actually use mine to change a tire, but used it plenty of time to move trees rocks out of logging roads, unwedge myself off rocks, even as a winch. And like was said before try to never go alone. If you do find yourself heading out alone file a flight plan with friends and family. at least a couple people. My wife and i do go out exploring on our own but we try to limit the rough stuff and we always always tell a couple people where we are headed and when to expect us home.

Great tips guys. I'm a little surprised that a lift wasn't mentioned at all. I'm really nervous about my clearance. While its obvious that rockers protect the sides of the Jeep, does it provide any protection to the undercarriage? I see lots of heavy scraping and high centering in videos and it blows my mind that this doesn't rip the vehicle apart even with the stock skid plates. is this not the case? I would expect at the very least some crushed pipes..

I know that the Rubicon comes with a better suspension package, does the stock Sport S have much of an off road suspension package to speak of? I'd hate to think that it does and then break something >.<
    Last edited by Chairokey; 05-24-2012 at 03:07 AM.

And may i add somethin. If u dont feel comfertable dont hit huge obsticles. Work ur way up.

as mentioned, the best thing you can do is to always wheel with at least one other vehicle. aside from that, tow points front and rear and rocker guards are the bare minimum requirements that i make sure everyone has if they want to wheel with us.

Well first off don't underestimate the stock skids they're, for the most part, stronger then a lot of aftermarket skids. Second, I used to take my stocker (09 X, just like your sport) out wheeling all the time no lift or anything and had a blast. I mean it's not gonna take on Moab or anything but you can still have a great time with it. I agree with the other guys, sliders are a great first addition just for protection.

Wow thanks guys, this makes me feel much more confident. the first weekend I had my Jeep I went to the lake and played around on what little bit of terrain was there. the Jeep being bone stock, I decided to drive down this ~ 1 foot rock step. As my back tires came down i heard the sound of metal on rock and cringed! after watching your video's I realized this isn't rare lol!! the sound was my transfer case hitting the rock.. while I know this isn't good for the transfer case, is it necessarily horrible? or does that happen quite frequently?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast