winch shopping

Rubycon

soo i have a black 10 a rubi and the wife says pick a winch for christmas. so i need some help. mostly i use it for pulling up elk from bottom of canyon but the occasional stuck rigs would be helpfull. an i want it to look bad ass. and i am very new to this sport

PilotJK

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378256007.518076.jpg Warn Powerplant! It would be my choice if the price is right for your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JT2012Jk

From everything I've been reading, I would have to agree with the above recommendations. Awesome combo

JT

Don't Tread On Me!!!

bl17z90

Also if the power plant is too much then go for the 9.5cti.

Do you have a bumper that you can mount it to?

Rubycon

i have the stock 10year anniversary bumper. my first priority is distane. i need it to reach way out there for my game

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
soo i have a black 10 a rubi and the wife says pick a winch for christmas. so i need some help. mostly i use it for pulling up elk from bottom of canyon but the occasional stuck rigs would be helpfull. an i want it to look bad ass. and i am very new to this sport

If you want it to LOOK badass, the Warn Zeon is as pretty as they get.

9372485459_b3cde8843a_b.jpg

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
i have the stock 10year anniversary bumper. my first priority is distane. i need it to reach way out there for my game

Distance depends on the line you put on the winch. I think they go up to 125', but maybe some go further.

I love my Warn PowerPlant.

Moochie

The length depends on the diameter of your line. Thicker (stronger) takes up more space on the drum.

David1tontj

I would still get a winch, as long as it is one of the name brands (not Smittybuilt) then you should be okay. But for very long pulls, I would not really use the winch as it is going to drive down your battery and is going to take quite some time... Distance is also a weak point of a winch as I believe the warn 8274 had the longest cable I know of at 150'. If I shot an elk down in a canyon I would use this method to extract it. It just takes a long rope, snatch block, and strap. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378263423.133343.jpg . You really should still get a winch though. I think it should be the first mod to any 4x4.. Hope this helps! Happy hunting!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Rubycon

what would happen if i add like another 100 feet of winch line to what is already spooled. would it break easier with the added length. im thinking the longer line the more issue of breakage?

Rubycon

and what about a cordless remote if im alone. would it be better for me to be at the winch or down with the game. that way i could stop the winch if it gets wrapped up in a log?

suicideking

Also if the power plant is too much then go for the 9.5cti.

Do you have a bumper that you can mount it to?

If you want it to LOOK badass, the Warn Zeon is as pretty as they get.

9372485459_b3cde8843a_b.jpg

These two would be my top choice if I had the $$. I'm not a huge fan of the powerplant because that thing is gigantic. I picked a bumper with sunken winch because I prefer it to be hidden as much as possible. This also will not restrict air flow.

seanb123

I actually saw a zeon on a 10th and it was a tight fit but looked good but I've never see a cordless remote but it is a good idea

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
These two would be my top choice if I had the $$. I'm not a huge fan of the powerplant because that thing is gigantic. I picked a bumper with sunken winch because I prefer it to be hidden as much as possible. This also will not restrict air flow.

The airflow thing is nothing but a myth. A wives tale started by someone that keeps getting perpetuated. I drove all around Moab with it, and never had a single issue.

Ldogg

I just picked up a zeon 10s. Should be here tomorrow, everything I read on it makes it sound bad ass, so we will see. It's a little bit bigger so fit may be an issue to check into. I am new to the whole winch thing myself, but I read a lot about synthetic rope and how it's easier to deal with, and doesn't get as damaged easily as cable can if not taken care of properly. Again it's what I heard, not from experience. I thought i read somewhere as well that you could get extra synthetic rope, and a prolink and shackle and have an extension. Not sure how safe or smart that is, maybe some one with more experience with it could chime in.

The airflow thing is nothing but a myth. A wives tale started by someone that keeps getting perpetuated. I drove all around Moab with it, and never had a single issue.

so restricting airflow to a radiator/trans-cooler "doesnt" cause any overheating issues.... interesting....

andrew-

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
so restricting airflow to a radiator/trans-cooler "doesnt" cause any overheating issues.... interesting....

andrew-

Not what I said. I said a winch doesn't restrict any airflow to a radiator, thus, no overheating. Restricting airflow requires BLOCKING airflow. I have yet to see a winch that physically blocks the slats and by block I mean seal them off. At speed, air still moves around the winch and over it and goes into the slats. During wheeling airflow isn't really happening as the ambient air is just "floating" still making its way into the radiator, which by the way, is 2/3rds covered by the trans cooler anyway. If your rig is overheating (not running hot, big difference) your problem lies elsewhere.

SaddleTramp

Not what I said. I said a winch doesn't restrict any airflow to a radiator, thus, no overheating. Restricting airflow requires BLOCKING airflow. I have yet to see a winch that physically blocks the slats and by block I mean seal them off. At speed, air still moves around the winch and over it and goes into the slats. During wheeling airflow isn't really happening as the ambient air is just "floating" still making its way into the radiator, which by the way, is 2/3rds covered by the trans cooler anyway. If your rig is overheating (not running hot, big difference) your problem lies elsewhere.

I'd love to get the integrated on board air function of the Powerplant but it'd be sitting on top of a PSC Brawler Lite bumper vs. in a sunken bumper on my rig and I'd be afraid out here in Vegas and trips to Moab, etc. it would still restrict too much to the radiator but interested in others experience vs. my assumptions. :idontknow: Currently leaning toward a Zeon and an ARB under seat or under hood compressor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom