HELP!! ASAP please

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Just snapped rear drive shaft. Have a company that will make a new double cardan. Question is how to measure correctly??? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378509518.763845.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378509530.641322.jpg

Last edited:

jkjurny

You mean drive shaft? If they are replacing both yokes, you should measure from the diff opening to the case opening, not from the flange.

Moochie

You could also just order one from a drive shaft manufacturer. Such as JE Reel. They are sized for your Jeep. It might even be quicker then having one made.

If not, ask the company that will be making your shaft how to measure.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
This company makes tons for jeep. They can have one done by Monday for 350.00 Carolina driveline

Last edited:
This company makes tons for jeep. They can have one done by Monday for 350.00 Carolina driveshafts

If the company makes tones for Jeep's then they should already have the measurements unless you have stretched your Jeep. You should be able to give them the year make and model with the size lift and then be done. Maybe I am missing something. :thinking:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
If the company makes tones for Jeep's then they should already have the measurements unless you have stretched your Jeep. You should be able to give them the year make and model with the size lift and then be done. Maybe I am missing something. :thinking:

Yea very true. I guess it's just to be that much more precise... I gave them both from yoke to yoke flange and diff opening to case opening.

Had a stock one on and the boot tore( it made it some 75k miles) Started hearing the grinding. This was taken care of in an older post. Eddy said to just have the double cardan put in. But the shaft was covered under warranty so I took the cheap route paid the 100$ deductible and had the dealer put a new shaft on hoping it would make it another 75k (this was only a month and half a go or so) well driving down the freeway today within 20 seconds it went from a very small vibration to it shearing off at the front cv.... No warning.. Has me puzzled.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378521909.721426.jpg

Last edited:

Brankz

Why u don't buy a after market one? I think teraflex sells them for cheap, but I'm not sure

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

This. If they need you to measure to be precise I wouldn't buy from them. Just my two cents.

Tranquillity

Do you need to do a lot of miles to get to work? If I am correct you could always put it on 4wd and still drive it until you can get another drive shaft. You wouldn't the screwed that bad.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Do you need to do a lot of miles to get to work? If I am correct you could always put it on 4wd and still drive it until you can get another drive shaft. You wouldn't the screwed that bad.

Yea i do.. thats how i got it off the freeway.

Heres a question: I found my lower left control arm bushing was warn and had some play in it. Would this cause enough movement in the axel to mess up the shaft?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yea i do.. thats how i got it off the freeway.

Heres a question: I found my lower left control arm bushing was warn and had some play in it. Would this cause enough movement in the axel to mess up the shaft?

No you can run without that control arm and be fine.

jeeeep

Hooked
i'm assuming with the rear axle jacked up you can still rotate the tires? odd how that spun off like that - almost as if it seized then released

hang on... did that sheer off on the transfer case side?

Top Bottom