HELP!! ASAP please

Tranquillity

Yea very true. I guess it's just to be that much more precise... I gave them both from yoke to yoke flange and diff opening to case opening.

Had a stock one on and the boot tore( it made it some 75k miles) Started hearing the grinding. This was taken care of in an older post. Eddy said to just have the double cardan put in. But the shaft was covered under warranty so I took the cheap route paid the 100$ deductible and had the dealer put a new shaft on hoping it would make it another 75k (this was only a month and half a go or so) well driving down the freeway today within 20 seconds it went from a very small vibration to it shearing off at the front cv.... No warning.. Has me puzzled.

I'm wondering if it's really the DS that is the problem.

GCM 2

Your photo depicts a typical rzeppa joint (or constant velocity joint) failure due to loss of grease. You have experienced one of the most common "waiting to happen" failures, most people will replace the driveshaft as soon as the CV joint boot tears, begins to lose the grease and actually don't reach the point that you did. If you go to Carolina Driveline's web page , they also have instructions on how to measure the length needed. A well made double cardan driveshaft (the brand is almost irrelevant) just needs to be balanced and have quality American made Spicer or Neapco u joints.

For the crowd, here are a few images of how the rzeppa looks internally, so you can see how the OP's led to the failure by running dry on grease.

image-3025135850.jpg

image-3073280374.jpg

Moochie

How could this happen on a new, 1 1/2 month old shaft recently replaced by the dealership?

Last edited:

GCM 2

How could this happen on a new, 1 1/2 month old shaft recently replaced by the dealership?

I'm not saying this is what happened with the scenario in this thread, but here is what happened to me; the day I bought my JK, I hit the trail for the weekend and tore my front driveshaft boot on the very first run. Upon driving back to civilization after the weekend, I noticed the sound of something flapping under the jeep. After an inspection, it was the driveshaft boot tear while spinning that was contacting parts of the drivetrain. The four day old JK was taken back to the dealer, they kept it for two days to repair it. When I picked it up, the noise was gone, I drove it home to check out the repair and discovered they had not repaired anything. They dealer simply removed the rest of the rubber boot, and called it fixed. Needless to say I went back To the dealer, bypassed the service writer and spoke directly to the general manager. Drive shaft was replaced with new factory shaft under warranty. Dealers really dislike educated buyers, discuss your case with emotions left at home and you tend to get results.

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
i'm assuming with the rear axle jacked up you can still rotate the tires? odd how that spun off like that - almost as if it seized then released

hang on... did that sheer off on the transfer case side?

Yea the cv that hooks up to the case yoke. Drove just fine in 4wd

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Your photo depicts a typical rzeppa joint (or constant velocity joint) failure due to loss of grease. You have experienced one of the most common "waiting to happen" failures, most people will replace the driveshaft as soon as the CV joint boot tears, begins to lose the grease and actually don't reach the point that you did. If you go to Carolina Driveline's web page , they also have instructions on how to measure the length needed. A well made double cardan driveshaft (the brand is almost irrelevant) just needs to be balanced and have quality American made Spicer or Neapco u joints.

For the crowd, here are a few images of how the rzeppa looks internally, so you can see how the OP's led to the failure by running dry on grease.

View attachment 47918

View attachment 47919

See you're right. The last boot tore and gave me plenty of noise to show that.I took the cheap route and just put another factory shaft in. This one made no noise at all.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I am about 99% sure they replaced the shaft with a new one. It looked to new and had a new boot I made sure to check as soon as the dropped it off the lift, but maybe they snuck something past me. They will be getting a box of parts back and discussion with me.

Top Bottom