Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does it make sense to buy a rubicon?

Been Around the Block Indefatigable's Avatar
    I have done the build slow thing (95 YJ from new) and the build all at once (05 LJ gently used).

I understand the financing thing. Personal POV, should not be financing a toy that you could accidently destroy any time out.

I have seen alot of TJ/LJ Rubicon builds. They cost way more to get almost close to where I ended up with my LJ. Same idea as the JK, just different flavour.

Something I have seen and is worth considering. Slow builds that get wheeled regular... the vehicle takes a terrible toll and wears out before the mods you plan on doing are worn out. Alot more pounding and so forth that it would not have if in its end mod condition. Think mounts: body, axle, suspension, seats, YOUR BACK!

YMMV
    05 LJ - Hi-Lo-2nd Lo- Stupid Lo
    Herd of Turtles 4WD Society

One huge advantage not mentioned directly so far is resale value. The Rubicon will hold a noticeable advantage.

On the flip side, that 4:1 Transfer Case could be a disadvantage in Illinois. Not enough rocks, too much mud and sand

Which could leave you the option of selling the Rubi transfer case to fund a more versatile Atlas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairokey View Post
    If someone wanted to leave their Jeep stock, sure a Rubicon would be a great choice. But if you plan to build your Jeep, could you not make a sport better than a Rubicon with less money than the difference in base price? Is $6,000 really worth the upgraded Rock-Trac transfer case and Tru-Lock differentials? I'm really not positive what the difference is between the regular transfer case and differentials and the Rubicons upgraded parts.. Also I didn't add the wheels and tires as a deciding factor because most are likely to upgrade those anyway..
    i've bought both a fully loaded rubicon and a barebone stock X (sport now) and built it up and, when i had an opportunity to do it again, i got a fully loaded rubicon. in my opinion, it makes so much more sense to do if only to get the 4:1 transfer case, electronic sway bar disconnect, dana 44 front axle, lockers front and rear, mygig stereo and nicer interior. if you plan on doing upgrades, the axles can be sold for a good price and there are eager buyers everywhere.

Rubi

This might be one of the first times I am going to disagree with Eddie but for me I would have bought the sport 2 wheel drive. Because nothing or almost nothing of my Rubi is going to be left when I am done with my build from the axles to the engine, transfer case, seats, suspension, exhaust, tires/wheels and so on. I am not into buying things twice even though I seem to do it all the time.lol But saying that it really depends on where you want your JK to end up when your build is done as to whether a Rubi is right for you.
    2010 Red Rubicon
    EVO Long Arm
    EVO Front Coilovers
    EVO Lever Rear Coilovers
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's Full floater
    ARB Lockers
    RCV Chromolly inner/outers & Front Shaft
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slabs
    Goodyear 40" MTR/Kevlars

Quote Originally Posted by clarsen View Post
    This might be one of the first times I am going to disagree with Eddie but for me I would have bought the sport 2 wheel drive. Because nothing or almost nothing of my Rubi is going to be left when I am done with my build from the axles to the engine, transfer case, seats, suspension, exhaust, tires/wheels and so on. I am not into buying things twice even though I seem to do it all the time.lol But saying that it really depends on where you want your JK to end up when your build is done as to whether a Rubi is right for you.
    LOL!! you know, in all fairness, i might have agreed with you on this if it weren't for the new 2012 and the 3.6L pentastar engine that it comes with. with it, i feel absolutely no desire to get a hemi. if anything, i really want one in our 07 and would do so over a hemi. as it is, i'm plenty happy with the factory 4:1 transfer case and have no desires to replace it. the rubicon seats are more comfortable and, while changing them out is nice, it's not something that i feel i need to do. already sold the wheels and tires and will sell the axles to help pay for prorocks someday. still, you can't get a swaybar disco unit on anything but a rubicon and the same is true about the mygig head unit of which i love. but, like you, i suppose it all depends on where you want your build to be when all is said and done

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    If you buy the jeep from costco, the price from a Rubicon to a loaded X (to get power windows). Its was less than 4 grand in difference. Its really not much. You can surely get that money back when you sell the 44's and rubicon rims and tires.
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

If you wheel a lot, the Elec Sway bar disconnect is well worth the $6K IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Blonda View Post
    If you wheel a lot, the Elec Sway bar disconnect is well worth the $6K IMO
    Hay layoff I didn't say lets go overlanding.. lol
    Last edited by Hightower; 05-29-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    2010 Red Rubicon
    EVO Long Arm
    EVO Front Coilovers
    EVO Lever Rear Coilovers
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's Full floater
    ARB Lockers
    RCV Chromolly inner/outers & Front Shaft
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slabs
    Goodyear 40" MTR/Kevlars