Snake Lake & Sierra Buttes Run July 2013

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I was going through our photo gallery today and just realized that I never made a post regarding a trip we did earlier this summer. Back in July, some friends of ours came up to visit us in Tahoe and to do a little exploring in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. For one of our trips, Cindy and I decided to take them up north to the Lakes Basin so that they could run the Snake Lake trail and climb to the top of an ancient volcanic peak know as the Sierra Buttes. In any case, I figure, better late then never and so here are some pics that highlight our trip. I hope you enjoy.

An early breakfast at Heidi's before heading out...
main.php

Posing for a shot in front of the Sierra Buttes...
main.php

Before the end of the day, we will be standing on top of these peaks...
main.php

Pulling up along the shores of Gold Lake...
main.php

Such clear and pretty waters...
main.php

Getting ready to make our way down to Snake Lake...
main.php

main.php

A little technical section coming down...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Sharkey having a little fun wheeling MTG's JK...
main.php

Snaking our way down to Snake Lake...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Working our way up to Little Deer Lake...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Making a stop at Little Deer Lake for lunch...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

On our way up to the Sierra Buttes...
main.php

Looking down on Deer Lake along the way...
main.php

Hiking the last mile up to the Sierra Buttes lookout tower - the views from up here are amazing...
main.php

main.php

And here's the tower at last...
main.php

Sign telling about the tower...
main.php

Time to climb the steps...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking back down...
main.php

main.php

View from the tower...
main.php

main.php

For our trip back, we decided to take the narrow shelf road down...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And finally, on our way back to South Lake Tahoe after a long fun day on the trail...
main.php

Again, I apologize for not posting these up sooner but, I hope you enjoyed looking back at some of the fun we had over the summer. :cool:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting up these pics and for such a great time! The Sierra Nevada's are such a beautiful place to explore. Hope to do it again next summer!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Awesome pics. Wish we could have stuck around for the climb.

Knuckles would have flexed a little better had I known MTG was running the EVO no limits disconnect. All that time I thought the dash button was disconnecting me. :cheesy:

Great photo log!!! Looks like a great trail to Jeep and neat hike at the end up to the tower. Wish we were along for the trip. Again, great photos Eddie and Cindy!:thumb::thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Very nice! I hope I can do this next summer.

Knuckles would have flexed a little better had I known MTG was running the EVO no limits disconnect. All that time I thought the dash button was disconnecting me. :cheesy:

:cheesy: That was a funny moment on the rubicon when you realized that. LOL!

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
A truly awesome day. First time up in Tahoe/sierras for me. Thanks Eddie and Cindy for sharing the adventure with us.

dahreno

Banned
We just made almost the same exact trip the weekend before last . Gold lake is one of my favorite places to camp and wheel and is 45 minutes from my house .Been up there many times and one of the reasons for moving here .

KJ_CJtoJK

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing! I love this area - it brings back old memories. I need to get back up their now that I have a jeep again.

You use to be able to drive all the way up the Buttes to the base of the fire lookout tower. This picture is of my old yellow '48 CJ2A parked at the base of the stairs in 1984. I sold this jeep in 2000 and just finally bought another jeep last year (2012 Wrangler).

Attachments

• Sierra Buttes 1984-3.jpg
    Sierra Buttes 1984-3.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 197

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing! I love this area - it brings back old memories. I need to get back up their now that I have a jeep again.

You use to be able to drive all the way up the Buttes to the base of the fire lookout tower. This picture is of my old yellow '48 CJ2A parked at the base of the stairs in 1984. I sold this jeep in 2000 and just finally bought another jeep last year (2012 Wrangler).

I bet you miss that rig.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That is such an awesome shot!! Love the Golden Eagle and EB too. Bummer things have changed so much.

Top Bottom