Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PR44 and rear Trail 60 for 37" tires?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PR44 and rear Trail 60 for 37" tires?

Ok. So there are many threads that cover this subject here and there, but I hope that information gathered here on this thread can help people like myself whom are on a tighter than others budget.

I know I do not have the funds to ball on 40" tires, full d60's front and rear, double throwdown front and rear, etc; however I do dream of being able to run 37" tires as efficiently as a tight budget would allow. I also feel that while there are many threads on how great the PR 60 rear is, I haven't seen many threads on here about the trail 60 rear by dynatrac. That being said:

1- how reliable is a front pro rock 44 with ARB lockers for running 37" tires. And can the front PR44 only be had in the stock 5x5 bolt pattern?

2- being that I am interested in the PR44 for the front, how would a Dynatrac trail 60 rear fare on 37" tires Being that it is not full float, not high pinion, and re-uses stock brakes and calipers. This is important because the trail 60 matches the 5x5 bolt pattern of the PR44 whereas the rear PR60 does not come in 5x5 bolt pattern (but correct me if I'm wrong here). This saves me money as far as wheels are concerned.

3- aside from high pinion, bigger brakes, what else is different in a trail 60 and PR60. Is the housing thicker?

I'm hoping that people can shine some light on the trail 60 because I haven't read much about it on here and I really don't wanna go with another manufacturer. I'm convinced dynatrac makes quality axles, I just hope this combo would work for 37" tires as reliable as PR60 front and rear would for 40" tires. Thanks guys.

Been Around the Block Rottenbelly's Avatar
    How hard do you plan on wheeling would be my first question.
    I run a PR 44 front with arb and 35 spline rcvs. Rear I did the arb and 35 spline axles.
    Ran 37 mud grapplers for a while and now 37 trail grapplers.
    I worry more about my 5:38 gears holding up than anything else.
    I feel it's a plenty strong enough combo for 37' s.

I would also worry about the R&P with 37" tires but to compensate I would not use RCV axle a shafts and use chromoly shafts instead. Maybe that would take some load off the gears. I live in Cali so light rock crawling is what i wanna use the axles for. I have read that the front ring and pinion on JK's are actually larger than previous generation d44 and being a high pinion up front is actually pushing on the strong side of the ring gear. I mean, the vengeance build had a 44/60 hybrid axle that used a 44 R&P up front so it has to be reliable, right? Also, being that the axle shafts and outers are all d60 then I'm assuming it would make the smaller d44 gears the weak link in that set up, so maybe sticking to a pr44 with chromoly shafts is a reliable method for tires up to 37"? I think I'm confusing myself...

Eddie and Cindy are running a PR44 on Rubicat with a stock Dana 44 in the rear and I beleive 5.13 gears.
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Evo Sliders, gussets, and control arm skids
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by bl17z90 View Post
    Eddie and Cindy are running a PR44 on Rubicat with a stock Dana 44 in the rear and I beleive 5.13 gears.
    Yup, that's what we're running but from experience, I can tell you that our rear won't last. That's why we will be installing Moby's old PR60 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yup, that's what we're running but from experience, I can tell you that our rear won't last. That's why we will be installing Moby's old PR60 on it.
    Yeah I saw that video.....didn't look like a fun trial fix.
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Evo Sliders, gussets, and control arm skids
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by bl17z90 View Post
    Yeah I saw that video.....didn't look like a fun trial fix.
    BTW, what you saw in our video was our 2nd Dana 44 rear end taking a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    1- how reliable is a front pro rock 44 with ARB lockers for running 37" tires. And can the front PR44 only be had in the stock 5x5 bolt pattern?
    Very reliable so long as you keep your R&P to 5.13. At 5.38, your pinion will be really really small and it will be your weak link. Unless you run a 44/60 hybrid setup, 5x5 is the bolt pattern you will have to run.

2- being that I am interested in the PR44 for the front, how would a Dynatrac trail 60 rear fare on 37" tires Being that it is not full float, not high pinion, and re-uses stock brakes and calipers. This is important because the trail 60 matches the 5x5 bolt pattern of the PR44 whereas the rear PR60 does not come in 5x5 bolt pattern (but correct me if I'm wrong here). This saves me money as far as wheels are concerned.
    Actually, the Trail 60 is a high pinion axle but no, it is not a full float. For running just 37's, this is fine. Yes, it re-uses stock brakes and calipers but, they are your rear brakes and won't be doing the same amount of work as your fronts and therefore, really aren't necessary. This is a great option to consider especially being that you can get the axle in a JK width and with a 5x5 bolt pattern.

3- aside from high pinion, bigger brakes, what else is different in a trail 60 and PR60. Is the housing thicker?
    The PR60 comes in a full width housing, has thicker tubes, has slightly bigger brakes, is available in a full-float setup and of course, comes with a proprietary profiled housing that offers as much clearance as a Dana 44 housing. Again, the Trail 60 is available in a high pinion setup and, depending on how much you want to spend, can be customized to meet more of your needs.

For your needs, it's a great setup that I would highly recommend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T&ERun View Post

Did you blow out the gears or an axle? (or housing?)
    Gears.....

Wow, I'm happy with the information being shared in this thread from those with experience. I would like to thank everyone who has chimed in so far because it only helps out the community here with the same questions that I have in regards to building a capable JKU with 37"tires on a budget that wouldn't allow for front and rear pro rock 60's. I know there are other manufacturers out there but buying American is important to me for a number of reasons; thus, my choice to buy Dynatrac.

I will have to look into the pro rock housing upgrade in stock width for the rear trail series 60, and if it is only a couple hundred more then why not? Thank you rtguy for that tip. I'm sure it'll still be much more affordable for me than a full float pr60 rear.

Also, I will plan on going with 5.13 gears as I will go with a PR44 front. The only things which remains is finding as good a deal as possible on one.
    Thanks again guys

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast