Thread: Soft top in Exteme cold

Soft top in Exteme cold

I have a question for those who experienced winter conditions like where I live. I am from North Dakota ( ICE BOX of the US) my old jeep (TJ) was a hard top. Winter weather never bothered that top. I now have a JK with a soft top, At night my jeep is always garaged (nonheated) at work it sits outside, Many days in the winter the temps are -20 to -30 degrees. Will the factory soft top survive the extreme cold? I only work 3 miles from home, all city driving. The Soft top is factory and in great condition. I was looking at Bestop and I see they have a new twill material top for replacement that says it can handle extreme cold and a lifetime warranty. Was thinking about getting that next spring, but wanted to go through this winter with the top I have now. What are your opinions on Soft tops in extreme cold climates?

Been Around the Block Chairokey's Avatar
    Yeah what Eddie said. I've talked to folks in Fairbanks Alaska who have said that the windows can get so cold that they'll break if you were to hit them on accident. Especially the rear. But it's completely safe as long as you can avoid that and brush the snow off if it dumps 3 feet on you lol