When's the last time you checked your control arm bushings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't checked your control arm bushings recently, you may want to give them a look. Over the weekend, I helped my friend Moochie rebuild one of his TeraFlex upper control arm bushing as it had blown out its lock ring...
IMG_5291.jpg

Unfortunately, I've seen this happen enough times that I now carry a rebuild kit that I got from TeraFlex in my tool bag. With the help of a couple of wrenches and a pair of snap ring pliers, it can be rebuilt...
IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

And of course, this is what it should have looked like before we pulled the arm off his Jeep...
IMG_5296.jpg

If you're planning any long trips this summer and if you have a set of aftermarket control arms like the kind TeraFlex makes, do yourself a favor and give them a look before you head out. :yup:

lock rings

i could be wrong but from pictures it seems like lock ring was positioned wrong side up. one side has rounded edge other straight, straight edge should be facing outside.

i could be wrong but from pictures it seems like lock ring was positioned wrong side up. one side has rounded edge other straight, straight edge should be facing outside.

I think it's just the pic and yes, just like any stamped out piece of steel, there is a rounded side and sharp side and depending on which way it gets installed, it can make a difference in how well it holds up.

Thats cool. What other pieces can be rebuilt?????:thinking:

well, if you get the whole rebuild kit, it'll come with new bushings, joint and lock rings. on the other end, you can replace the bonded rubber bushing as well but, that's a lot harder to do. there is no kit for this or, so far as i know.

Top Bottom