Manual trans squeal

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
07 jk rubi. On the way home tonight i started getting a squeal from the transmission. Sounds like maybe the throw out bearing? Any one have a good write up on this, and could it be something else. The sound seems to be at all different driving conditions and doesn't go away after the clutch is depressed more than an inch like the TSB says it should. Any help would be great I plan to tear into it in the morning.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, no write-up but it does sound like your throwout bearing. I've had to have mine on my 07 replaced back at about 60,000 miles.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Sorry, no write-up but it does sound like your throwout bearing. I've had to have mine on my 07 replaced back at about 60,000 miles.

Yea i'm at 81k. Ill tear into it. Hopefully that is the case. Looks like a lot of people have the noise and end up just throwing parts at it.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug

Just looked at the little vent/slit on bottom of trans and there is 3 little ball bearings sitting in that groove. looks like thats it.

mtnbiker995

Just looked at the little vent/slit on bottom of trans and there is 3 little ball bearings sitting in that groove. looks like thats it.

Did you end up replacing the bearing on your own? If so do you have a write up or anything at all on how you did it? I have to replace mine and would prefer not to pay a shop to do it

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A few items just to mention that I ran into. It took me a day and a half. I only used a piece of plywood and a floor jack to drop the trans and transfer case together (trans jack would have been much easier. Plan for a extra pair of hands too). You must take off exhaust from headers back. Both drive shafts need to come off. You need to take out the center console and remove both shift knobs and the transmission shifter. Unbolting the transmission isn't bad EXCEPT for the very top two bolts, these were a bear to her out do to limited space. While putting them back in I took a bunch of extensions (about 3' worth) and a universal and just stuck it in from the back of the transfer case up to those two bolts which made it so much easier to get turns on the ratchet. Think about doing the clutch at the same time. I'll have more to come. Any questions you have just throw at me until I can get a legit write up completed.

mtnbiker995

A few items just to mention that I ran into. It took me a day and a half. I only used a piece of plywood and a floor jack to drop the trans and transfer case together (trans jack would have been much easier. Plan for a extra pair of hands too). You must take off exhaust from headers back. Both drive shafts need to come off. You need to take out the center console and remove both shift knobs and the transmission shifter. Unbolting the transmission isn't bad EXCEPT for the very top two bolts, these were a bear to her out do to limited space. While putting them back in I took a bunch of extensions (about 3' worth) and a universal and just stuck it in from the back of the transfer case up to those two bolts which made it so much easier to get turns on the ratchet. Think about doing the clutch at the same time. I'll have more to come. Any questions you have just throw at me until I can get a legit write up completed.

Okay thanks. Is there any particular reason you decided to drop the trans and transfer case instead of just sliding them backwards? I was talking to my buddy last night and he said that all he did was remove his driveshafts, unbolt the trans and transfer case, and just slid them back far enough to reach his hands up into the bell housing. I'm just trying to get as many opinions and different ways to do it before I try to tackle this.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I accidentally removed your post somehow sorry!!! That would work I guess. Hmmm well I did just slide them back. The transmission shaft has to come completely out of the clutch assembly. So at that point all I did was lower the jack to make it easier to access the bearing. It's clipped in there really well so unless you have done it a bunch I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it blindly so to speak if that is what he did. It was easy to clean everything out in there too and re-grease some of the points that move.

xtremefx4

Just had to do the same thing last weekend.. I have 2011 with 62210 mile on it that the throw out bearing went out too. And yes the 2 top bolts are the hardest to get at. I used a friends extension that was about 40 inches and it worked out like a dream. I should of done a write up but I wasn't thinking of that! Sorry guys. I had a trans jack and it was just as hard as with a reg floor jack. Yes extra hands are a plus but I didn't have anyone. Oh disc you replace your clutch at this time? Oh yea I slid the trans/ trans case back to pull it apart. And I didn't take the exhaust off but it would of been a lot easier if I had tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

mtnbiker995

I accidentally removed your post somehow sorry!!! That would work I guess. Hmmm well I did just slide them back. The transmission shaft has to come completely out of the clutch assembly. So at that point all I did was lower the jack to make it easier to access the bearing. It's clipped in there really well so unless you have done it a bunch I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it blindly so to speak if that is what he did. It was easy to clean everything out in there too and re-grease some of the points that move.

Ahh okay makes sense. I know he has done it before on his Jeep so that's most likely why he didn't drop it down out of the way. But based off what you said and what xtremefx4 said, I'll most likely drop it down since I've never done it before.

Top Bottom