WAYALIFE Winter Road Trip 2013

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of weeks back, Cindy and I decided to go on a winter road trip to visit our son in San Angelo, Texas and celebrate his birthday with him. This trip ultimately took us across 5 states (a few several times) and rack up over 3,000 miles on the odometer. If there was a down side, a better part of the trip would be done in the snow or in temps below freezing. But, we did get to see a lot of great sites, visit some really cool places and most importantly, got to have a few drinks with our son. Anyway, here are some pics from our winter road trip, I hope you enjoy.

DAY 1

All packed up and ready to hit the road!
main.php

There was a big storm coming in and we were determined to get ahead of it...
main.php

Of course, along the way, we came across a trail we had been wanting to run and decided to take a short side trip...
main.php

Old tunnel we got to go through along the way - Head for the light!
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking ahead...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Making a quick stop in Hawthorne - what a blast! Where else can you find windmills made from bombs? :D
main.php

Passing through Goldfield, we decided to visit the old Goldfield Hotel - guess the valet was out to lunch....
main.php

I know we really should be putting on some miles but, there's just so much to see along the way - Entering the Worlds Largest National Car Junk Forest!
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Out here, they grow right out of the ground!
main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
DAY 2
After having dinner and spending the evening with Cindy's folks in Henderson, Nevada, we started our 2nd day in Kingman Arizona and cutting across the state. Unfortunately, that storm we were trying to beat was starting to catch up to us...
main.php

Making a quick stop in Seligman on Route 66 for some snacks...
main.php

Recently, we've started to notice our 3.6L going through oil and, after putting on about 1,000 miles since the last time we checked the dip stick, we decided it would be a good idea to stop and check it again...
main.php

Yep, we're low...
main.php

Driving along Route 66 we encountered some pavement poetry :)

"Just this once"
main.php

"And just for fun"
main.php

"We'll let you finish"
main.php

"What we've begun"
main.php

Does anyone know the answer is?
main.php

THWACK - THWACK!! Missed us by that much! :D
main.php

Making a stop over at Meteor City, we were hoping to see one of two longest maps of Route 66 but found that the wall has since fallen down and the gift store closed. Surprisingly, vandals haven't done too much damage yet and so, we decided to do a little exploring...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

It's a shame the original "Highway to Hell" has been changed to something less scary but, we had to stop for a photo op just the same...
main.php

main.php

Enjoying a beautiful Southwestern Sunset...
main.php

main.php

BRRRRR - it's cold!! Cutting down through New Mexico, we encountered what I though was a thick fog but later found out that there is no moisture in the air - what we were seeing was essentially hovering ice and it had a way of sticking to everything...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Unfortunately, the road was closed due to hazardous conditions and we ended up driving about an hour out of our way just to find lodging in Santa Rosa.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
DAY 3
The following morning, the road were clear and we started to make our way south again through the icy fog...
main.php

Some more shots of what we were seeing the night before - everything frozen...
main.php

main.php

Ice ice…
main.php

main.php

These aren't the droids you're looking for - Having some fun in Roswell, NM...
main.php

main.php

This little guy looks cold but not quite blue yet...
main.php

Even the McDonalds here is from out of this world...
main.php

Howdy Texas!
main.php

It's not everyday that you get to see a Uniroyal Gal so we thought we'd stop and say hello....
main.php

DAY 4
Although we pulled into San Angelo the day before, our son's birthday wasn't until the 9th. Here's a shot of us celebrating his 21st with some Honey of course!
main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
DAY 5
After a nice visit with our son it was time to start our long journey back to SoCal where Moby was waiting for us. A few hours into our journey west, we heard a loud THWACK!! Road trip carnage :grayno:
main.php

Being so close, we just had to make a detour to check out Carlsbad Caverns. What an amazing place...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

We come in peace - Seems to be a lot of these naked green guys around here...
main.php

Deja Vu
main.php

Well what do you know, found us another Uniroyal Gal in El Paso...
main.php

Deja Vu too
main.php

Welcome to Arizona...
main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
DAY 6
The final leg in our trip west started in Tucson where we had breakfast at the Cup Café which is located in the historic Hotel Congress...
main.php

Would you look at that, they have a Muffler Man in Tucson...
main.php

Jurassic Parking in Gila Bend...
main.php

Going back to Cali...
main.php

main.php

Cheers!
main.php

And finally, it's time to pick up Moby!!!
main.php

:wings:

TheDuff

Wow, that's a lot of cool stuff u stopped at! R2D2 mail box was pretty awesome :D

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was a quick trip. Hope you liked west Texas.

You know, for as much time as we spent driving through "west Texas", I could have easily driven through half a dozen east coast states. The roads there just went on and on and on :crazyeyes:

stweasel

You seem find all the lost Americana on your road trips. Makes me want to drive further off the interstates. Thanks for sharing

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great shots!!! I love the shots in the caverns! They were sweet looking

Sent from my iPhone

pastorwug

Do you have a book that identifies where all the Americana is along the roads that you find, or is it word of mouth? That stuff always interests us when we travel.

dahreno

Banned
How was it driving such a long distance in the Jeep with the big tires ? What kind of gas mileage did you get ? What was your fuel bill ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What an awesome trip! Where is that trail with the tunnel on Day 1?

It's a trail that I had been eyeing for a while now near Walker Lake.

Do you have a book that identifies where all the Americana is along the roads that you find, or is it word of mouth? That stuff always interests us when we travel.

I like to do a lot of research before we head out. I also have a couple of apps that help too.

SWEET PICS. What kind of camera set up do you use?:clap2:

A lot of the pics were just taken with our iPhone but, some of the nicer ones were taken with a Sony a77.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How was it driving such a long distance in the Jeep with the big tires ? What kind of gas mileage did you get ? What was your fuel bill ?

We were averaging about 13.5 MPG. Not great but not terrible considering my average speed was about 75-80.

Awesome pics!!! Should have hung around the caverns until the bats let loose!!!!

Unfortunately, it was the wrong time of year. No bats.

Looks like a blast of a trip!

It was but I sure wish it would have been a bit warmer.

Top Bottom