Advice from the PA guys!

Jeepin_Jeepata13

So I need a little help and advice from the PA members. I am currently on assignment to become an Army Recruiter and because I volunteered, I have the choice of location. The wife and I have picked Pennsylvania because my wife's job has openings to transfer and it is the closet state to the East Coast where I can still own whatever damn gun I want! We are looking for somewhere to go that has all the commodities like big retail stores, but able to travel a little out and live away from everyone. We have been looking in the Harrisburg area (living in Mechanicsburg) or Allentown area (living in the Whitehall area). Are these two good locations and are there others that I don't know about? Where are good places to live where I will still have places to hunt/shoot that aren't four hours away? Plus some good trails are a must! Thanks for the help and look forward to meeting some of you guys!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I need a little help and advice from the PA members. I am currently on assignment to become an Army Recruiter and because I volunteered, I have the choice of location. The wife and I have picked Pennsylvania because my wife's job has openings to transfer and it is the closet state to the East Coast where I can still own whatever damn gun I want! We are looking for somewhere to go that has all the commodities like big retail stores, but able to travel a little out and live away from everyone. We have been looking in the Harrisburg area (living in Mechanicsburg) or Allentown area (living in the Whitehall area). Are these two good locations and are there others that I don't know about? Where are good places to live where I will still have places to hunt/shoot that aren't four hours away? Plus some good trails are a must! Thanks for the help and look forward to meeting some of you guys!

where is youe wifes job located? West Chester Area isnt to bad. small town feel with everything around you. Easy access to King of Prussia (huge ass mall there) and only 30 mins outside of philly. i am a little biased tho since im from this area lol.

Parksburg isnt a bad area, downingtown as well. also chads ford/kennet square area is beautiful

Last edited:

seanb123

Allentown area is best I think for what you need 45 min from on of the biggest malls in America and and less than an hour from rausch and lots of hunting and farming I have a few buddies up their so I know you can be very rural with access to big city stuff in under an hour

Jeepin_Jeepata13

where is youe wifes job located? West Chester Area isnt to bad. small town feel with everything around you. Easy access to King of Prussia (huge ass mall there) and only 30 mins outside of philly. i am a little biased tho since im from this area lol.

Parksburg isnt a bad area, downingtown as well. also chads ford/kennet square area is beautiful

My wife works for the largest bank in the United States (don't want to drop names here) so luckily she has the same opportunity as me and can basically go where ever. Some spots have more openings then others and depending where we live, the Army pays more or less for housing so obviously the cities pay more! I see a lot of traffic regarding Raush Creek so if I could live close to that, I would be a happy man.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My wife works for the largest bank in the United States (don't want to drop names here) so luckily she has the same opportunity as me and can basically go where ever. Some spots have more openings then others and depending where we live, the Army pays more or less for housing so obviously the cities pay more! I see a lot of traffic regarding Raush Creek so if I could live close to that, I would be a happy man.

ahh ok well where im from is only 1:30 drive to Rausch so it isnt bad waking up in the morning and driving up. its an easy trip. and since she has a lot of flexability like you then really anywhere in chester county or berks county would work best for you guys imo.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Allentown area is best I think for what you need 45 min from on of the biggest malls in America and and less than an hour from rausch and lots of hunting and farming I have a few buddies up their so I know you can be very rural with access to big city stuff in under an hour

yep allentown is a good area as well.

Army_Vet

Banned
I work in Mechanicsburg. Live in Carlisle area. What your asking sounds like where I live. If you have more specific questions. Let me know
Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

beans

If you like rural, hunting, plenty of parks etc. there is also Western PA. housing is ridiculously affordable as well. However, as far as malls and shopping the closest place is Pittsburgh (for the really cool stuff) and possibly Butler which has the annual Jeep convention. I really don't care for malls or big-box stores so you can also avoid them if you want and shop at the enormous amount of mom-pop shops they have there. Pittsburgh is a really underrated city...the economy is doing great, the people are awesome and there is always something cool going on. There are also some govt facilities in the area for work and your military background would certainly help in that area. We live about 1.5 hours away from Pittsburgh, Slippery Rock is the closest "town" (village? it only has 2 lights) but there isn't much else out here but farms. BUT there is an awesome Brew Pub...best food EVER :D :D

Last edited:

Jeepin_Jeepata13

I work in Mechanicsburg. Live in Carlisle area. What your asking sounds like where I live. If you have more specific questions. Let me know
Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've been thinking about the Carlisle area due to the government housing available at the Carlisle barracks. Here on Ft. Carson is the same builders so they are nice houses and we wouldn't have to worry about another mortgage since BAH isn't really that high. Knowing that the Army has given me the option of next location is really throwing a wrence it this, there are too many choices!

1BAMFR

You will love our PA gun laws! Buying is easy and you can get a carrying permit in a week.

...the above applies as long as you don't have a record.

Jeepin_Jeepata13

Nope it's clean! I'm military police so it has to be and my Kentucky concealed carry is accepted in PA. Plus the AR that I'm building will come with me as well!

Tackerdown

Banned
Mechanicsburg area for sure. Lots of hunting , sportsman clubs, trails. Bass pro. A little further cabellas. River for fishing everything with in 2 hrs.
Oh and Rausch is less than an hr.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

DKronk42

Scranton area is a good choice, though i may be biased... Plenty of rural towns, still most any retail you could need, not much in the way of off road shops though, tons and tons of state game lands, state parks etc etc... Ide personally go with allentown myself though its a bit nicer of a city...

Jeepin_Jeepata13

Well it's official guys. We are moving to Harrisburg! Pretty excited since I mapped Raush Creek and from the house we are looking at, it's really close. That being said, anyone familiar with the area close to west Hanover elementary? We found a brand new home in the pine view residential area and will be buying it, but I won't have a chance to go see it before I leave for school. It's closer to Hershey and the realtor says it's the best place to live in Harrisburg. If any of you guys happen to pass the area, would you mind snapping some photos? Thanks and see you guys in April!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well it's official guys. We are moving to Harrisburg! Pretty excited since I mapped Raush Creek and from the house we are looking at, it's really close. That being said, anyone familiar with the area close to west Hanover elementary? We found a brand new home in the pine view residential area and will be buying it, but I won't have a chance to go see it before I leave for school. It's closer to Hershey and the realtor says it's the best place to live in Harrisburg. If any of you guys happen to pass the area, would you mind snapping some photos? Thanks and see you guys in April!

Congrats man! looking forward to meeting you!

as far as snapping pics its outta my way otherwise i would for you. im sure tackerdown or army-vet will be able to post some for you.

Army_Vet

Banned

Pm me the address I can do it for you

Sent from my iPod thingy using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom