Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airing down

Airing down

Im curious about airing down with different rated tires for instance, with a heavyer side wall like toyos and nittos it seems that you could air down alot and with bead locks even more of course. My question is does a heavy side wall tire allow you to air down more than a lighter side wall tire like say the km2's BUT still maintain a Higher ride height? In other words it seems a lighter side wall tire would have to run high psi's to keep better clearance.
    Last edited by KernHydro; 06-29-2012 at 08:02 AM.

A lighter side wall tire would not require as low of a pressure as a heavy side walled tire, but the would both have around the same hight, the lighter side wall won't hold up the weight of the jeep with less air as well as the heavy side wall will. Not sure that makes sense in writing, I suck at explaining my thoughts haha
    I'm either out jeepin' or perparing to go out jeepin'!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailBear
    A lighter side wall tire would not require as low of a pressure as a heavy side walled tire, but the would both have around the same hight, the lighter side wall won't hold up the weight of the jeep with less air as well as the heavy side wall will. Not sure that makes sense in writing, I suck at explaining my thoughts haha
    You did better than me... I'm still wondering what the volumetric unit "liter" has to do with tires...
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:
    2013 JKU Rubicon, 4" Evo Double D Long Arm Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, 37" Nitto TGs on 17" Spyderlocks, J.E. Reel 1350 Front DS, LoD sliders, EVO 1/4 Pounder w/ Stinger, EVO Rockskins and Tire Carrier.

Previous Rig:
    2010 JKU Mountain Edition, 35" Wrangler MT/R Kevlar's, 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System w/ Fox Shocks, 5.13 G2 gears, Spyderlock beadlocks, Coast 1310 FDS, EVO C2 kit and drag link flip kit, LoD sliders, Trektop NX.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime8 View Post
    You did better than me... I'm still wondering what the volumetric unit "liter" has to do with tires...
    LMAO
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

what i can tell you is that i have unintentionally run my range e toyo's at zero psi and it still looked like it had 5-10 in them. in fact, people give me grief all the time on our videos telling me that i need to air down more. as mentioned, with thinner sidewalls, you don't need to air down as much to get the same results but, i personally would prefer not to run tires with thinner sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    ....I personally would prefer not to run tires with thinner sidewalls.
    What he said, no more MTR/K's
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Been Around the Block
    after reading all this. make me realize I should have made more research b4 i bought my tires lol

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    what i can tell you is that i have unintentionally run my range e toyo's at zero psi and it still looked like it had 5-10 in them. in fact, people give me grief all the time on our videos telling me that i need to air down more. as mentioned, with thinner sidewalls, you don't need to air down as much to get the same results but, i personally would prefer not to run tires with thinner sidewalls.
    That is what I was figuring.. ultimately the heavy side wall allows you to run way lower psi and maintain that height. And also it seems that is better than having to a run higher psi on a litertire ( sidewall thickness aside ) to do the "same thing" .Thats what Im curious about do you think the performance at way lower psi is better than the lighter tire at a higher psi. basically it seems the heavy tire because of the lower psi will squat when its needed and maintain the height better when it not because it can run lower psi... confusing I know..Im trying

In reality there would not be a difference in performance if they have the same width foot print, they are both putting the same amount of rubber on the ground. It then comes down to the tread and the rubber compound of the tire that will make the difference in which tire will provide more traction. The other factor to look at is side wall flex when on an off camber, the thinner side wall will flex way more, making it harder to stay on your line, the weight of your jeep will pull you down more the a tire with less side wall flex. But that's opening a new can of worms
    I'm either out jeepin' or perparing to go out jeepin'!

What Im getting at is the heaver tire will flatten out like the lighter tire but under more weight/pressure so you will maintain a higher clearance. With the lighter tires it seems like it would flatten out easier and lose clearance easier...Its kinda hard to describe what im thinking...for example two tires 35" one heavy wall ones lighter. one need to run at 10 psi and the other 15 psi.. same ride height but the heavy one is not as sensitive to flatting out on rock that kinda what Im thinking...
    Last edited by KernHydro; 06-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast