Did you buy your JK modified?

The 1

I'm in the market for a JKU. I'm curious how many of you purchased your Jeep, whether new or used, with aftermarket modifications? It seems like it would be nice to start off with at least a lift and tires but I'd like to get others opinions. Feel free to post pics of your as-purchased Jeep. Thanks.

When I purchased my 2011 JKU basically stock with the exception to the tires and wheels. I have done 90% of the mods myself. I would recommend getting a basically stock JKU and do the work yourself. Saves you money and gives you something to do on the weekend if you get bored.

R/
Will

Aeraun

When I purchased my 2011 JKU basically stock with the exception to the tires and wheels. I have done 90% of the mods myself. I would recommend getting a basically stock JKU and do the work yourself. Saves you money and gives you something to do on the weekend if you get bored.

R/
Will

+1 to that. I purchased my 2012 JKU new and completely stock. While being able to work on it myself is a huge plus, I also prefer starting from scratch so that I can truly make my rig mine and so that I know its ins and outs better and so that I don't have something I find out I don't want/need and then have to double back and redo mods. Just my perspective :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
my 2011 was bone stock when i picked it up. still currently leasing mine but will buy it out in the end

JLE21

same here, I went bone stock on my 2 door,. half the fun is building it to your liking and you get to know your JK a little better as your build progresses.
this is how i bought mine its gone a long way :yup:
IMG_0037_1b.jpg

Dune Crawler

X2 with the stock. One problem with jeeps that've been modded (exception new) is that they've probably been wheeled and it's impossible to tell by what degree

JK's JK

Banned
I bought a 2009 Rubicon 4 door with 13k miles on it. Had 35" tires, rims, upgraded drive lines, diff covers, long arm kit and some other various things right at blue book. Best deal I could have found.

The 1

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely understand that perspective. This will be my first Jeep and don't have much experience with modifying them. When you guys added your suspension upgrades, did you have access to a lift? It seems like that would be a requirement to do the work yourself. I guess that's my main concern since I don't have access to a lift.

JK's JK

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely understand that perspective. This will be my first Jeep and don't have much experience with modifying them. When you guys added your suspension upgrades, did you have access to a lift? It seems like that would be a requirement to do the work yourself. I guess that's my main concern since I don't have access to a lift.

Big jack stands and floor jack is good enough at times as well. That's what I use to work on my jeep.

CaliCrusher

I bought mine lifted with 35s. These were dealer mods, so everything was brand-new. It worked out well for me because nobody wanted a lifted orange Rubicon. It sat on the lot for over 80 days, which helped me get it $6000 less than their asking price.

Hawse

They didn't sell modified Jk's when I got mine in 2006. Lol

Let me say if they did it would of been very rare.

bl17z90

Like stated above if you buy some stands make sure they are larger ones because the ones for standard cars will be useless once you go with tires that are larger than 35's and wiht 35's it will be difficult to get the jeep high enough to pull the tires.

To answer your original question. I bought my Jeep as a stock sport and I am glad I got the sport because it came with the 17's which I was able to put 35's on. If it had the 16" steelies I would have had to buy wheels as well and I just couldn't afford them at the time.

Bogi

I went with a stock JKU Rubicon because I have no experience working on vehicles, had no off-road experience at the time and wasn't confident what I'd "need" to make it off the trail without damage. I can afford it and felt it was the best place for me to start until I have more experience and knowledge. With the front and rear 44's, lockers and disco already there I may not "need" to do a lot more for where I intend on going with it. It's far more capable than I am at this time.

I'm sure more mods will come...I already have a short but growing list ;)

Rubicon008_zps26aa98cc.jpg

I've since added a Teraflex 1.5" Performance Leveling Kit (springs) and replaced the 255/75 17's with 285/75 17s

Last edited:

seanb123

I bought mine used but basically stock. I feel you should have it stock for at least a month it's helps you to appreciate your jeep once you do start modding it

JK1

bone stock 2010
429775_369619643068980_230732270_n.jpg
2"JSPEC lift, shock extensions and wheel spacers and stock tires
IMG-20120817-00181.jpg
2" JSPEC with 35s
IMG-20130206-00060.jpg
3.5" RK with 35s
IMG-20130513-00216.jpg
and 3.5' RK no shock extions Bilstiens shocks, EVO draglink flip, EVO rear track bar relocation bracket, no wheel spacers and slabs with 37's and cut fenders all this took about 1.5years plus doing it this way i learned alot about my jeep..:beer:
965907_616648965032712_8083847_o.jpg
IMG-20130809-00091.jpg

I put EVO Plush Ride 3 inch coils on Canvas JK in my drive way with a floor jack and two jack stands. Sure a lift would be nice but not required.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Stock. They are easy to work on. Like Canvas JK said a jack and two stands. I've done all mine in a parking lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom