Ramsey Winch vs WARN -- Advise needed

beans

Hello all! :D More NooB questions if anyone can help :blush: :blush:

We are in the market (as seen by previous posts - pretty much everything) for a good Synthetic Line Winch. We have ruled the VR series Warns out but they still make several other lines which look solid. They are a popular brand and we saw one guy yank his rig out of East Coast mud in one of the Wayalife videos without a hitch. HOWEVER, we are also curious about Ramsey. You hardly hear anything about them although they are 100% USA made. Anyone have any experience with either or both that may help? Videos? Testimonies? Personal experience?

We have a 2012 JK Wrangler COD if that helps.

As always, Thanks all!

Mikes Offroad

Good call on leaving the VR series winch out of the line-up. My son purchsed the VR10000 and what a piece of garbagenot even a year old and it's been to warranty shop twice. For what is't worth the shittybilt 10000 has not stopped pulling me out yet. Not as quick as some and not as quiet but she will pull when I ask her to.:twocents:

beans

Good call on leaving the VR series winch out of the line-up. My son purchsed the VR10000 and what a piece of garbagenot even a year old and it's been to warranty shop twice. For what is't worth the shittybilt 10000 has not stopped pulling me out yet. Not as quick as some and not as quiet but she will pull when I ask her to.:twocents:

Ok...you owe me a new keyboard (I literally spit out my coffee lol'ing) :D :D

Is the s**ttybilt...I mean Smittybilt worth a look do you think?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good call on leaving the VR series winch out of the line-up. My son purchsed the VR10000 and what a piece of garbagenot even a year old and it's been to warranty shop twice.

Agreed. The VR series are made in China and I don't know why WARN would sell them with their name on it.

For what is't worth the shittybilt 10000 has not stopped pulling me out yet. Not as quick as some and not as quiet but she will pull when I ask her to.:twocents:

Maybe I missed something but, I seem to recall that your winch stopped working at Redbird. That was the reason why the guys outside helping had to wrap your line around your bumper, right? :idontknow:

David1tontj

I have had a Ramsey Winch for 12 years and have put it through hell! It has been completely submerged on several occasions, used well past its duty rating and never quit, and just been straight abused. I constantly get myself into trouble, and also use it to pull out others.

When I was winch shopping 12 years ago, my uncle who was a tow truck driver and owned his own tow truck recommended a Ramsey Winch because he said that is the only thing that they run on a tow truck. I have since looked at every tow truck I see an they are all Ramsey winches!!

Warn winches are great, and they have a great reputation for off-road. Ramsey winches focus more on industrial applications but Are also made in the USA and are excellent winches.

I trust my Ramsey Winch 100% and know that it will always get me out of whatever mess I've gotten into.

If you go on the Ramsey website you will see that they have winches that even go up to 130,000 pounds!

So yeah, I like Ramsey.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Mikes Offroad

You are correct Eddie but it was a 10mm bolt that was holding the ground wire to the body of the winch motor, that I failed to tighten all the way after installing the PS fairlead mount. The only reason the winch cable was wrapped aroud the stinger was I did not want to hold up the group. Plus I knew I was going to get stuck later on anyway. lol

Last edited:

beans

Maybe I missed something but, I seem to recall that your winch stopped working at Redbird. That was the reason why the guys outside helping had to wrap your line around your bumper, right? :idontknow:

This had me cracking up half the night :clap2: :clap2:

I have had a Ramsey Winch for 12 years and have put it through hell! It has been completely submerged on several occasions, used well past its duty rating and never quit, and just been straight abused. I constantly get myself into trouble, and also use it to pull out others.

When I was winch shopping 12 years ago, my uncle who was a tow truck driver and owned his own tow truck recommended a Ramsey Winch because he said that is the only thing that they run on a tow truck. I have since looked at every tow truck I see an they are all Ramsey winches!!

Warn winches are great, and they have a great reputation for off-road. Ramsey winches focus more on industrial applications but Are also made in the USA and are excellent winches.

I trust my Ramsey Winch 100% and know that it will always get me out of whatever mess I've gotten into.

If you go on the Ramsey website you will see that they have winches that even go up to 130,000 pounds!

So yeah, I like Ramsey.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

NICE! :) This is one heck of a testimony! I haven't heard too much about Ramsey from off-road users but the winchs look pretty solid. They are pricey but we really want something we can trust 100% with proper maintenance. My husband (bless his heart) I fully expect to get us into some trouble with this newer Jeep--so I'm really hoping for a solid winch. I really appreciate your posting about this! :D :D

NY1982JK

Agreed. The VR series are made in China and I don't know why WARN would sell them with their name on it.

Glad I found this thread. The winch I was considering was the VR10000-S. Figured it was cheap and couldn't go wrong with Warn. Now I know better.

David1tontj

This had me cracking up half the night :clap2: :clap2:

NICE! :) This is one heck of a testimony! I haven't heard too much about Ramsey from off-road users but the winchs look pretty solid. They are pricey but we really want something we can trust 100% with proper maintenance. My husband (bless his heart) I fully expect to get us into some trouble with this newer Jeep--so I'm really hoping for a solid winch. I really appreciate your posting about this! :D :D

That was the short testimony! Glad I could help.

Top Bottom