Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There sure is a lot of WRONG info and stupid opinions on here. Mostly from Edie

Exclamation There sure is a lot of WRONG info and stupid opinions on here. Mostly from Edie

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I know there are a lot of people on the internet who really sound like they know what they're talking about and will tell you that you need to replace your factory 10.9 metric track bar bolt with a new 9/16" grade 8 shouldered one. And, I know there are even a few reputable vendors out there who sell whole grade 8 replacement bolts kits as if there's something wrong with all your factory bolts, BUT, I'm hear to tell you to NOT buy into the stupidness and save your money. Just because it's said on the internet doesn't make it true and let's face it, vendors are in the business of making a buck - they will sell you whatever it is you are willing to buy. Fact of the matter is, there nothing wrong with your factory bolts, they are the right size, they don't need to be shouldered and Chrysler purposefully put them on your Jeep for a reason.

To put things into perspective, you need to know that there are over 1,000,000 Jeep JK Wranglers out there on the roads today and 99% of them or more are still running these so called "wrong size bolts", for about the last 8 years now and without ANY issues. If all these bolts are really the wrong size, you would think it would be all over the news and some kind of recall issued by now. What the naysayers don't understand is that if bolt size were really the only thing that mattered in keeping things from moving around, there would be no need for torque settings.

Still not convinced? Let's take a closer look at how things work. When you look at the bushing of your track bar or control arms, the metal piece in the middle where your bolt will go through is called a "crush sleeve". AS IN, it's designed to get pushed really really hard from either end. The purpose of your bolts and nuts is to provide "compression" and cause your mounts to act like a vice by clamping down really really hard on the crush sleeve. The crush sleeves is NOT supposed to rotate AT ALL when installed correctly but rather, the bonded rubber bushing will twist around it. Of course, if you have a polyurethane bushing, heim or other aftermarket joint, the bushing will rotate around the sleeve or misalignment spacers - again, there is NO movement around the bolt and therefore, shouldered bolts are NOT necessary. This is the reason why bolts are rated for "torque" and NOT "sheer" - the value of compression strength is all that is necessary to hold things together. Don't believe me? Place a pencil between your index finger and thumb and hold it in the air. Why doesn't the pencil fall? I mean, there's no bolt going though your finger and thumb to hold it in place. Pinch it harder and it will even take effort to move the pencil around. Imagine that - compression alone made that possible.

If you really want to spend money on your Jeep, invest in a good torque wrench and use it as a part of regular maintenance.
    I call BS! You are wrong! Shoulder bolts are the RIGHT bolts to use. Instead of always running your mouth about thing you are guessing about try getting the truth. My back ground you ask? Machinist for 42 years and Millwright.

Originally posted here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ally-Need-Them

Quote Originally Posted by madjeeper View Post
    I call BS! You are wrong! Shoulder bolts are the RIGHT bolts to use. Instead of always running your mouth about thing you are guessing about try getting the truth. My back ground you ask? Machinist for 42 years and Millwright.
    Lol put the internet down and grab the prune juice grandpa.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Wow

There sure is a lot of WRONG info and stupid opinions on here. Mostly from Edie. DO NOT JUST TAKE HIS WORD ON THINGS, look it up. Most wheelers I know ether don't fallow this loser or stop soon after reading his post or watching his BS teck info on youtube. LOOK IT UP PEOPLE!

Lol. I was about to question your expertise on the subject with only 2 posts here. Thanks for informing us of your 42 years of machinist experience (that we didn't ask for). Jeep has been building Jeeps for about 79 years. They should have consulted you about your fastener experience decades ago, huh? Maybe you should put in an application.
    “To secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Most wheelers I know ether don't fallow this loser.............
    With the 42 years you spent as a machinist, you should have been taking spelling and grammar classes instead.
    “To secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

My back ground you ask?
    Said no one here
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    With the 42 years you spent as a machinist, you should have been taking spelling and grammar classes instead.
    Don't forget his teck videos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing boardsurfer's Avatar
    Yes, yes. Please educate us poor peasants, oh wise one.

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    There sure is a lot of WRONG info and stupid opinions on here. Mostly from Edie. DO NOT JUST TAKE HIS WORD ON THINGS, look it up. Most wheelers I know ether don't fallow this loser or stop soon after reading his post or watching his BS teck info on youtube. LOOK IT UP PEOPLE!
    Do us a favor and go breath in some rona.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Do most of the people you know read? You damned sure can’t spell, so I have my doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast