Rancho vs Teraflex

Spartan

I was planning on getting the EVO Enforcer, but family comes first, and due to unforeseen circumstances the Enforcer along with most of the build I had planed has to be put on hold. As some of you may know I ran a 2.5in Teraflex BB with shock extensions on my last Jeep and loved it. After reading some of the Rancho Reps post on here I started looking at at $600 or less Rancho boosts/lifts. Other then the package that comes with the Rancho 9000 shocks. I don't really see the benefits to going. With Rancho over the Teraflex BB with shock extensions. It would be going on a 2014 JKUR with 35's. It will be a DD, and a Rock Crawler. My family and I love going down to Moab, and driving down dirt back roads. Along with some of the local trails.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice and input.

Spartan,

To some degree I understand about putting mods on hold due to family. May I recommend you do a stage lift build. Over the past 4 months I have upgraded my suspension from a Pro-Comp 2.5 in coil and shock lift to the EVO 3 inch Plush Ride coils paired with Rancho RS9000 XL shocks, Rock Krawler front LCA's and adjustable front Track Bar. I started with the coils then, LCA's and RK front track bar and finished last weekend with the Rancho Shocks. If you have the opportunity to space the build out that will help. A little at a time is better than all at once. I hope this makes sense.

R/
Will

JKUx

Spartan,

To some degree I understand about putting mods on hold due to family. May I recommend you do a stage lift build. Over the past 4 months I have upgraded my suspension from a Pro-Comp 2.5 in coil and shock lift to the EVO 3 inch Plush Ride coils paired with Rancho RS9000 XL shocks, Rock Krawler front LCA's and adjustable front Track Bar. I started with the coils then, LCA's and RK front track bar and finished last weekend with the Rancho Shocks. If you have the opportunity to space the build out that will help. A little at a time is better than all at once. I hope this makes sense.

R/
Will

Well said Canvas, so I purchased a very similar setup as yours with different shocks; it doesn't break the bank doing it in stages as I have a family as well, gotta have a hobby so I balance it out and all is well in the world!🍻

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was planning on getting the EVO Enforcer, but family comes first, and due to unforeseen circumstances the Enforcer along with most of the build I had planed has to be put on hold. As some of you may know I ran a 2.5in Teraflex BB with shock extensions on my last Jeep and loved it. After reading some of the Rancho Reps post on here I started looking at at $600 or less Rancho boosts/lifts. Other then the package that comes with the Rancho 9000 shocks. I don't really see the benefits to going. With Rancho over the Teraflex BB with shock extensions. It would be going on a 2014 JKUR with 35's. It will be a DD, and a Rock Crawler. My family and I love going down to Moab, and driving down dirt back roads. Along with some of the local trails.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice and input.

Being that you have a 2014, what you need to remember is that if you install a set of shocks that will allow for too much droop, you will have to budget for a new front drive shaft. Of course, if you run a BB kit with shock extensions, you will not have this problem.

Having said that, it's hard to go wrong with a small budget boost or even a basic budget lift and with the rebate that Rancho has going on now, I don't know how you wouldn't just go with them. The shocks you'd get are far superior to the TeraFlex shocks and unlike TeraFlex where all there stuff comes from China, Rancho parts are made in the USA.

No need to build up your Jeep to be badass as it's already that now. Any enhancements you can make will just make it that much better. Get out and have fun with it and modify it when you can afford to. :yup:

Spartan

Being that you have a 2014, what you need to remember is that if you install a set of shocks that will allow for too much droop, you will have to budget for a new front drive shaft. Of course, if you run a BB kit with shock extensions, you will not have this problem.

Having said that, it's hard to go wrong with a small budget boost or even a basic budget lift and with the rebate that Rancho has going on now, I don't know how you wouldn't just go with them. The shocks you'd get are far superior to the TeraFlex shocks and unlike TeraFlex where all there stuff comes from China, Rancho parts are made in the USA.

No need to build up your Jeep to be badass as it's already that now. Any enhancements you can make will just make it that much better. Get out and have fun with it and modify it when you can afford to. :yup:

Would the Rancho 3in Sport or Trail require a new drive shaft?
Would it be better to stay in the 2-2.5 range to avoid drive shaft problems?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would the Rancho 3in Sport or Trail require a new drive shaft?
Would it be better to stay in the 2-2.5 range to avoid drive shaft problems?

Honestly, if it were me, I would just get the 3" kit even though it will require you to address your front drive shaft. For the interim, you could always install the exhaust drop kit or other y-pipe kit to help prevent drive shaft contact with it. In the long run, you should still save up for a front shaft as the steep angle that it will sit in will cause the cv boot to fail and will require replacement at that time.

Spartan

Honestly, if it were me, I would just get the 3" kit even though it will require you to address your front drive shaft. For the interim, you could always install the exhaust drop kit or other y-pipe kit to help prevent drive shaft contact with it. In the long run, you should still save up for a front shaft as the steep angle that it will sit in will cause the cv boot to fail and will require replacement at that time.

Since I will need the new drive shaft for the Enforcer anyway. That might be the smart way to go. From what research I have done JE Reel seams to be the drive shaft to go with. What I'm unsure of is witch one would give me the most bang for the buck.

2trackin

Since I will need the new drive shaft for the Enforcer anyway. That might be the smart way to go. From what research I have done JE Reel seams to be the drive shaft to go with. What I'm unsure of is witch one would give me the most bang for the buck.

I just went with a coast 1310 on my 14 jkr and wheel the daylights out of it without any problems so far. Knock on wood.
I'm running 37s to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Prime

I bought Adams drive shafts front and rear less than 800.00 work great no issues took it on some rocks two days after I put them in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Depends on how big of a tire you're hoping to run. Up to 35", you can get by with a 1310. 37's and up, I would highly recommend a 1350.

Top Bottom