Axle bent

Prime

I was wondering how hard it is to bend the rear axle? A friend of mine had a noise on his JKU and went to a shop they told him the piñon was gone so he took it to a local shop they told him his axle housing was bent.. He bought it used over a year ago and I know for a fact the only off roading it has seen is beach. It baffled my mind to hear a gear shop tell him it was bent. Wouldn't bending a axle have to come from a catastrophic event? Like slamming down hard on rocks or concrete?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering how hard it is to bend the rear axle? A friend of mine had a noise on his JKU and went to a shop they told him the piñon was gone so he took it to a local shop they told him his axle housing was bent.. He bought it used over a year ago and I know for a fact the only off roading it has seen is beach. It baffled my mind to hear a gear shop tell him it was bent. Wouldn't bending a axle have to come from a catastrophic event? Like slamming down hard on rocks or concrete?

While it is harder to bend a rear axle which is a true Dana 44, it's not impossible. Speed more than any rock crawling you could ever do will do it. Question is, how bent is it? If it's enough to cause leaking from the seals or make it difficult to reinstall shafts, it's time for it to be replaced.

Prime

I didn't ask him how bad it was bent. From what he said they called him and he saw it was bent. The axles or piñon was making a bad noise he pulled up to work the other day and I tried to hear the noise but I didn't I'm guessing he wasn't going fast enough. I'm just baffled that housing was bent. And it was so bent it had to be replaced. I hope he took pics of it I'm going to see if he did.

Tranquillity

While it is harder to bend a rear axle which is a true Dana 44, it's not impossible. Speed more than any rock crawling you could ever do will do it. Question is, how bent is it? If it's enough to cause leaking from the seals or make it difficult to reinstall shafts, it's time for it to be replaced.

While at it, would sleeving the rear axle be a good idea ? Just to avoid saving for a trail60 ... for now :crazyeyes:

thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't ask him how bad it was bent. From what he said they called him and he saw it was bent. The axles or piñon was making a bad noise he pulled up to work the other day and I tried to hear the noise but I didn't I'm guessing he wasn't going fast enough. I'm just baffled that housing was bent. And it was so bent it had to be replaced. I hope he took pics of it I'm going to see if he did.

Well, an axle housing that is slightly bent is really no big deal and you can drive like that without any problems for a long time. Certainly, I don't think it would have any effect on the pinion and it being bad is most likely unrelated. Still, we're talking about a 3" tube that only has 1/4" thick walls. Drive fast enough and jump or even hit a rut hard enough and things can bend.

While at it, would sleeving the rear axle be a good idea ? Just to avoid saving for a trail60 ... for now :crazyeyes:

thanks

You cannot sleeve a rear axle and I wouldn't waste your money trussing it. The odds of you bending a rear axle and to the point where it needs to be replaced is pretty slim for most people. In fact, the only people I know to have bend a rear axle housing are people with coil overs and live in the desert as they tend to drive a lot faster on rough terrain. Again, jumping will do that too but for your regular weekend warrior who just does a bit of rock crawling, I think you'd be fine. If you really are playing hard enough to worry about this, you really should be saving up for a 60.

Prime

I talked to him he said it was making a very bad sound and the jeep was shaking like crazy as if the jeep was going to tear itself apart. Sounded like death wobble to me but I guess not it was in the rear.. he didnt take pictures of the housing I was hoping he would have.. I think he got taken advanged of by the shop.

probably just a bent flange... ive bent them your tire wobbles like a mofo shakes teh jeep apart makes a bad noise... (brakes rubbing)

Just swap out the shaft and your good to go I agree to bed the actual housing you would really have to hit it hard

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed with him ^^^. After hearing what happened, he more than likely bent an axle shaft flange and not the housing. Easy to replace and not too expensive either.

Top Bottom