Yokohama 38's opinions/experience

Relic

Been considering these tires called the Yokohama Geolander m/t's that come in 38x13.5r17 and weigh in at 80lbs! Found them on tire-rack and although they may not have as high mileage and quality as toyos/nittos, their price is great! Anyone here have experience with these tires, maybe in the size I'm considering. I don't see the problem with 1 inch more than toyo m/t's and quite a few pounds less. Any thoughts?

Relic

Price: $331
Weight: 80lbs
Max load: 3,000lbs
Tread depth: 21/32
Measured diameter: 37.7"

stweasel

I loved my Yokohama's for my old Mustang, but in this instance especially since it's a bigger tire I would worry about where they saved all that weight. With all the rocks we encounter in the desert I would worry they left it out of the sidewalls.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I loved my Yokohama's for my old Mustang, but in this instance especially since it's a bigger tire I would worry about where they saved all that weight. With all the rocks we encounter in the desert I would worry they left it out of the sidewalls.

x2 on this. i would worry about where they cut corners on making the tires so light. if its going to be only a mall crawler they will work but if your going off road i would look at something more stout. the extra coin put in now will be worth it in the end when you dont blow out a sidewall in the middle of a trail.

check out discount tire as well. they have great prices and fast shipping! i got my mud grapplers from them in 2 days when the delivery said 5 days.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, there are two things that would keep me from running this tire and the first of which is that it's direction and the second, it's an odd size. Directional tires will prevent you from doing a proper rotation and the odd size will keep you from bumming a spare if needed or finding a spare out on the road.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't run them because they'll cup out and get noisy as hell. Of course, probably no worse than Mud Grapplers when they're new. Plus I'm not a fan of Yokohamas in general

Relic

I wouldn't run them because they'll cup out and get noisy as hell. Of course, probably no worse than Mud Grapplers when they're new. Plus I'm not a fan of Yokohamas in general

Are there any other 38" tires with decent weight? I only need something for light trail riding and going hunting. I'll upgrade to iroks or pit bulls when I upgrade to a pr44 front axle.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Are there any other 38" tires with decent weight? I only need something for light trail riding and going hunting. I'll upgrade to iroks or pit bulls when I upgrade to a pr44 front axle.

I would look at an advertised 37 like Wayalife mentioned if I were you. Or if your worrie about weight look at some 35's for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone

JayKay

Caught the Bug

I wouldn't even worry about running 38s, just go with 37s being they're a more common size and easier to find. Go back and search some of the tire measurement threads and you'll find that there most likely won't be a very noticeable difference between 37s and 38s in overall diameter. And I would just look at tire specs online and do comparisons as far as weight goes. As others have said; where are they shedding the weight? If it is in the sidewalls, carcass, or the use of silica in the tread, I'd stay away from them. They'll be bouncy and squirrelly on the road and unpredictable on the trail.

Top Bottom