General Off-Road

leximann

Alright, so this is definitely a newbie post... I am beginning to add different mods to my JK, with the hope of successful trail rides in the near future.. What are some of the basic do's/dont's of off-roading or some tips/ suggestions from past experiences and/or stories from things that have happened? Any input is appreciated!

If everything goes according to plan, I hope to run 32" bfg tires with a 2" Rancho suspension lift, and adding a winch in the near future. Thinking about skid plates? Any other preventative measures I should be taking/ adding to my JK? When is the best time to use 4H & 4L when off the beaten path?

Thanks & keep on Jeepin' on!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have them already, I would highly recommend that you get tow points front and rear and get some rocker guards. Pick up a good recovery kit, tools and an air compressor and try not to go wheeling alone. Aside from that, try to have fun :thumb:

NAUXJ

I'm still fairly new to off roading myself, and one thing I have learned is to always keep your nose pointed downhill, you don't want to try going down a slant at an angle...

Last edited:

JKU EXTREME

Don't go uphill at an extreme angle, learned that from Eddie's video(haha), sand and mud= momentum, use 4H even when you think you don't need it because it's better to have it in and not need it than be stuck and try and use it, rocker guards, tow points, d-rings, skids, JK's are awesome an can really outperform what you think they can, trim the fenders unless you want some expensive metal fenders that will damage the body down the road, travel with a buddy if at all possible, and tread lightly, leave the area better that how you found it.
Have fun out there, and if you know you can't make it don't block other 4x4ers, they will get mad and make a thread about it on their awesome forum.
Good luck
-John W.

leximann

Awesome, all great tips guys! I really appreciate it and can't wait to get out there! I'm attending a Citrus County Jeepers meeting in April and can't wait!

leximann

Don't go uphill at an extreme angle, learned that from Eddie's video(haha), sand and mud= momentum, use 4H even when you think you don't need it because it's better to have it in and not need it than be stuck and try and use it, rocker guards, tow points, d-rings, skids, JK's are awesome an can really outperform what you think they can, trim the fenders unless you want some expensive metal fenders that will damage the body down the road, travel with a buddy if at all possible, and tread lightly, leave the area better that how you found it.
Have fun out there, and if you know you can't make it don't block other 4x4ers, they will get mad and make a thread about it on their awesome forum.
Good luck
-John W.

Thanks! Better safe than sorry! Also what does trimming the fenders do, just more clearance on the sides? I'm assuming there's a thread here for that lol

JKU EXTREME

Top Bottom