Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Rubicon/sahara/sport

  1. #11
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    newfoundland
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post
    There's not a rear PR44, you would just keep your stock sport D44(what I would do) and add an ARB locker and 35 spline chromoly axle shafts....or get a Dynatrac trail 60 rear axle.



    Well if you don't beat the shit out of it, and only wheel mild to moderate trails, a stock D44 could last as long as you own the Jeep. Give it hell(and drive like an idiot IMHO) and the 37's could go out on your first trip or within the first year. It's all dependent on your terrain and driving style
    if i ran 35" tires they would be fine tho right ?? and i dont no if i can afford the pr44 or dynatrac 60 to be honest cus by time i buy the jeep/lift/tires/rims/gears im gonna be without a left or right arm(not to say me misses will kill me) but is there a way to make my 44s a little more solid i plan to get c gussets will that help much

  2. #12
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    53,690
    Still depends on how hard and fast you drive over rough terrain but yeah, you can make a Rubicon 44 last a lot longer with 35's.

  3. #13
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    newfoundland
    Posts
    64
    Agreed. I beat the crap out of my 2012's D44 running 37's and still got about 60,000 miles out of it before it was so bent that it had to be replaced.
    wow 60,000 miles on a jeep would last me about 4 years i dont have travel to far where i live, i have my truck 2-3 years not and only got 40,000 km on it so if i ran 37s, 5:13 gears and never offroad to hard i could last good while, i also do little bit mud riding so the tires will be spinning a bit going few little donuts will this cause them to bend quicker ??

  4. #14
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    349
    I wheel a great deal with my factory Rubi axles on 37s. But I am smart about it. Here in Michigan we don't have any of the crazy terrain out west. Just ask yourself what kind of wheeling you'll be doing. I think you can make a front 44 last quite a while on 37s being smart about it though. Just my 2 pennies.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #15
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by hickey800 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife
    Agreed. I beat the crap out of my 2012's D44 running 37's and still got about 60,000 miles out of it before it was so bent that it had to be replaced.
    wow 60,000 miles on a jeep would last me about 4 years i dont have travel to far where i live, i have my truck 2-3 years not and only got 40,000 km on it so if i ran 37s, 5:13 gears and never offroad to hard i could last good while, i also do little bit mud riding so the tires will be spinning a bit going few little donuts will this cause them to bend quicker ??
    You should be fine in mud. The real damage is going to come from higher speed rough terrain. It really puts a lot of stress on the axles. Just be careful about getting to much wheel hop going on as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #16
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    newfoundland
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 2trackin View Post

    You should be fine in mud. The real damage is going to come from higher speed rough terrain. It really puts a lot of stress on the axles. Just be careful about getting to much wheel hop going on as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    This might be a stupid question but could you explain wheel hop I feel like it's a basic thing and I'll understand if I just never heard "wheel hop" before

  7. #17
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    53,690
    Quote Originally Posted by hickey800 View Post
    wow 60,000 miles on a jeep would last me about 4 years i dont have travel to far where i live, i have my truck 2-3 years not and only got 40,000 km on it so if i ran 37s, 5:13 gears and never offroad to hard i could last good while, i also do little bit mud riding so the tires will be spinning a bit going few little donuts will this cause them to bend quicker ??
    Truth be told, it's not the rock crawling that'll jack up your axle - it's the speed. Out in the west, we have hundreds of miles of wide open desert to bomb through and when you're running coil overs, it's hard not to go fast. Still, time will most likely catch up to you - it'll just take a lot longer.

  8. #18
    Been Around the Block
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by hickey800 View Post
    This might be a stupid question but could you explain wheel hop I feel like it's a basic thing and I'll understand if I just never heard "wheel hop" before
    This happens when your tire(s) are spinning and then start to get traction, then lose traction, and catch traction and the vicious cycle starts to make the wheel "hop". This with big heavy tires has the potential to cause some serious damage in the axle and drivetrain. Believe me, any smart guy will feel the wheel hop and let off the gas.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

  9. #19
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    newfoundland
    Posts
    64
    Oh ok ya I know what your talking about n it kinda feels like your getting a little jumping or j hop kinda feel to vehicle

  10. #20
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    newfoundland
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Truth be told, it's not the rock crawling that'll jack up your axle - it's the speed. Out in the west, we have hundreds of miles of wide open desert to bomb through and when you're running coil overs, it's hard not to go fast. Still, time will most likely catch up to you - it'll just take a lot longer.
    Thanks man I might just run the 35s to be safe I don't want risk it than break the Dana 44 and not be able to afford a replacement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS