The Jeep That Never Was - The JJ

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a long time since I've heard anyone mention the B-Jeep to be and never was, the ol' JJ but, an interesting article about it was just published on AllPar and I thought it was worth sharing. It's a shame it never got built as I would have wanted to get my hands on it. :yup:

The Jeep JJ Project: the 1990 Entry-Level Jeep That Never Saw Production

1998-jeep-JJ.gif

JJ was to be a softly sprung vehicle, but it actually performed around as well as the then-current Grand Cherokee. It was to cost on the order of one quarter to one third less than the Grand Cherokee.

This was planned to go into production as a lower cost but still highly mobile vehicle for the third world countries and marketed in North America as a "beginner's Jeep."

Money was saved by using a conventional transfer case (the 2.2 Chrysler engine and 5 speed transaxle was lifted directly from the Plymouth Horizon and Dodge Omni), a fabricated frame ("toy-tabbed" for assembly - a trick that was proven out on the HMMWV body assembly), and minimal option availability (as I remember, A/C was not even an option). It was designed to be 13 separate modules, assembled by suppliers, and practically 'snapped' together at the assembly line.

The powertrain, lifted from the Chrysler parts bin, was turned north-south (from east-west). It worked out quite well, for what it was. No separate transfer case, a short, lightweight powertrain....for a Suzuki Samuri-type vehicle, it could beat the pants off anything in its class.

jeep jj[One issue is that] it was determined that the vehicle was too advanced and that there would not be sufficient market to justify the cost for setting up a totally new plant, considering the Grand Cherokee was to debut at the same time. Marketing determined that the money was better spent on the BR (Dodge Ram) and second-generation Grand Cherokee programs.

Ultimately, it was killed as it could not make it over the Rubicon unassisted and wasn't considered a true Jeep by the majority. The JJ could not traverse the Rubicon Trail completely without a towrope on one steep section. It lacked the tire static loaded radius to get across one particular technical challenge. That was the only failure to complete the test. Evan Boberg and I disagree on this point, as I feel it was a true Jeep, same as the original MBs were. A stock MB a friend of mine had was unable to cross the Rubicon trail without assistance.

We knew that we might run into this issue, but, due to the cost restrictions and suspension restrictions, we decided that we would try it with a 29 in tall tire, instead of a 31 inch tire. The 31 just would not fit without hitting and tearing up the front fenders and wheelhouse. I still firmly believe JJ would have sold well, primarily due to the two-thirds cost of the Wrangler. JJ still outperformed the Rocky, RAV4, and Samuari. We just did not meet the target.

A total of 60 some vehicles were built as preproduction prototypes and all met the durability standards for the regular Jeep line, surprisingly enough (especially when you realize that, with the exception of the engine and transmission, literally everything else was new).

Francois CastaingI believe the JJ could pass, easily, the requirements for Trail Rated badge. One of the differences is that, to drive the Rubicon trail, a vehicle must have sufficient traction and engine oiling capacity to climb a 100% grade (this means the highest naturally occurring grade of loose Type 3 soil, which is 45° from horizontal). Trail Rating and current military standards require a 60% grade (which is still steeper than what you can climb without an assisting rope, while walking upright).

JJ.gif

Full article and more images here: http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/jj.html

JayKay

Caught the Bug
As capable as the samurai's are, don't think the JJ would have had any trouble. Also the 2.2 is a noisy but bulletproof engine. Had an Aeries that I drove back and forth to college, couldn't tear it up!

crowrb29

It's funny that a few years later jeep made vehicles that weren't even trail rated. Even 2wd wranglers. Spose you have to please the market to survive though.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It's funny that a few years later jeep made vehicles that weren't even trail rated. Even 2wd wranglers. Spose you have to please the market to survive though.

Yeah, my mom had a 2wd 1993 cherokee. It was useless on the snow with studded snow tires and 300 pounds of sandbags in the back.

Top Bottom