Suspension Limits

Hey everyone quick question.

What limits your down travel on your rig?

I have all currie arms with 4" evo coils and bilstien shocks and currently my shocks limit my down travel well this weekend was my first trip out of 2014 with this setup used to have cheapo rough country lift...

First trip out a total on about 11 hours of wheeling and two bilstien shocks are blown already leaking oil...

Is this because my shock if my down travel limiter? they DO NOT bottom out when being compressed the bump stops take that load...

Cheers

noroad

what limits the drop on most jeeps is your sway bar links and shocks! unless you have limit straps!

Thats what im curious about haha do I need straps? or is it cool letting the shocks take the drop? because two shocks blown in 11 hours is nuts at retail of $130 a shock and there 8 weeks old... not impressed at all so is it my fault or just a fluke and they decided to kick the bucket already

noroad

Thats what im curious about haha do I need straps? or is it cool letting the shocks take the drop? because two shocks blown in 11 hours is nuts at retail of $130 a shock and there 8 weeks old... not impressed at all so is it my fault or just a fluke and they decided to kick the bucket already

I dont have straps on mine, im guessing the two that blow where the fronts when you where disco. I would say make sure they are in fact the right lenght needed for you lift, my shocks have been the only thing holding one side from falling out and have not blown! shocks could have been bad or to short for you lift.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
From my understanding shocks blow from bottoming out not drooping down all the way. Are you sure you didn't bottom them out?

Sent from my iPhone

It was both drivers side one front one rear

positive they dont bottom out dont many cycling tests but they do limit the down travel for sure

maybe ripping down the trail at 30kmh for an hour killed them hahaha it was like an old logging road so just rolling whoops and stuff so we were cruising building up heat inside them i dont know ill just run em let them keep leaking until it becomes bouncy and replace them then!

HILLZ

It was both drivers side one front one rear

positive they dont bottom out dont many cycling tests but they do limit the down travel for sure

maybe ripping down the trail at 30kmh for an hour killed them hahaha it was like an old logging road so just rolling whoops and stuff so we were cruising building up heat inside them i dont know ill just run em let them keep leaking until it becomes bouncy and replace them then!

If the things are only 8 weeks old get on to the supplier and get em replaced.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your shocks will be the ultimate limiting factor of your droop and this should not cause them to blow. When you say they have blown, are you saying that they simply offer no more resistance or just look a little wet? Have you checked to make sure the shock can has not been making contact with the frame rail up front or on things like the rear track bar mount in back?

During my suspension cycling they were hitting the frame so i Plasma cut the mounts off the axle and welded them back on 1" further out on axle, this gave the clearance needed for the shocks to not hit the frame.

The shocks are wet around the seal to shaft and the chrome shaft has oil on it... they still work there still doing their job so I was just gonna keep runnign them until the jeep is bouncy as shit and buy two new ones just wanted to learn and understand if I caused them to fail from flex or they just decided to fail on their own haha

thanks

I shoulda taken pics but it was just a thin film of oil about 3" down from the end of the shock after compressed and wet around the seal no pooling or running just a film

StrizzyChris

I am hoping its normal as well since I found this yesterday on my first post install inspection

1399303354253.jpg

A small bead of oil at the bottom lip of the reservoir(hard to see in pic) and some evidence of dried up oil on the body of the reservoir. :fingerscrossed:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am hoping its normal as well since I found this yesterday on my first post install inspection

View attachment 81785

A small bead of oil at the bottom lip of the reservoir and some evidence of dried up oil on the body of the reservoir. :fingerscrossed:

Yeah, you're fine and totally normal. For you with your coil overs, if it's pooling up or dripping (which is something that will happen over time and extended use), you will want to have your coil overs rebuilt.

StrizzyChris

This is my first, first hand experience with COs, but that's what I heard before as well. How many total miles did you put on Rubicat before your first rebuild?

chipper

I know this is an older thread but I have few questions on this subject. I did work on the jeep yesterday and noticed that when I disconnected my swaybar my shocks is what stopped the droop of the axle. I wanted to make sure that this was ok? And is not going to damage the shocks. The brakelines were good and so were the coils. I am planning to do a suspension test tomorrow at work with a forklift, What is the correct way to do it? And what am I looking for?

Top Bottom