Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasti dipped wheels project

Plasti dipped wheels project

Hey everyone,

I decided to stay with my stock wheels when I purchased new Toyo Open Country tires, but I desperately wanted them to be black. Plasti dip was my inexpensive solution, and everyone seemed to love the results! I know many people have done this, but I don't seem any harm in giving one more example for someone who may be borderline on wanting to attempt it! I applied very thin coats after surrounding each wheel with notecards, and I probably ended up with anywhere from 6-8 coats on each wheel. I allowed around 10 minutes in between each of these. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask. Here are the pics and enjoy!
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070267.439309.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070278.873273.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070291.269542.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070303.959586.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070327.868837.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070361.337789.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070375.436318.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070392.219879.jpg

How does it hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyprice View Post
    How does it hold up?
    My brother has had his for almost two years and they look the same as the day he sprayed them. The great thing is that if you don't like it then just peel it off!

They hold up just fine to water, very soft/loose mud.

It doesn't hold up at all to sand, thick mud with rock or debris, rocks, trees....you get the point.

If you don't take your rig off road where the wheel will contact anything solid in the environment, then you'll be fine. I even had deep sand take some of it off. It's great, though, if you are not sure if you will like your rims blacked out and want to just try it. Otherwise I would personally bed line them.
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

looks good man! we just touched up my brothers wheels on his subi on sunday. it holds up really well but not to curbs lol
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post
    They hold up just fine to water, very soft/loose mud.

It doesn't hold up at all to sand, thick mud with rock or debris, rocks, trees....you get the point.

If you don't take your rig off road where the wheel will contact anything solid in the environment, then you'll be fine. I even had deep sand take some of it off. It's great, though, if you are not sure if you will like your rims blacked out and want to just try it. Otherwise I would personally bed line them.
    The only problem I have with bedline is that it is permanent. If you have any scuffs on these then you can simply touch them up and not even tell. I agree that it is a good test for black.

I think you and I are talking about completely different worlds in terms of use.

Yes a slight rub from some dirt and you could peel off the plastidip and do it again and no one would ever know...but that wouldn't damage/scratch off bedliner either.

Hit a boulder with your plastidip and it can't be touched up to cover a deep gouge. Bed liner won't fill the gouge either, but it can be touched up. The ONLY benefit from plastidip there is, is that it's reversible back to stock.
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Jeep does look better with black wheels! I did the index card thing also but I used cheap paint from tractor supply. My rims are already chewed up. Too lazy to retouch. Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    Jeep does look better with black wheels! I did the index card thing also but I used cheap paint from tractor supply. My rims are already chewed up. Too lazy to retouch. Looks good!
    Thanks! I understand the laziness as it took me over a month to finish my project after I got the plasti dip haha

Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post
    I think you and I are talking about completely different worlds in terms of use.

Yes a slight rub from some dirt and you could peel off the plastidip and do it again and no one would ever know...but that wouldn't damage/scratch off bedliner either.

Hit a boulder with your plastidip and it can't be touched up to cover a deep gouge. Bed liner won't fill the gouge either, but it can be touched up. The ONLY benefit from plastidip there is, is that it's reversible back to stock.
    You read my response almost as an insult. I understand a gash is not going to be fixed by plasti dip. I was referring to if some of it (the plasti dip) came off the rim then you could easily touch it up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast