Plasti dipped wheels project

kgw350

I have my raceline beadlocks plasti dipped just the inner the rock ring is paint. The wheels are holding up great no issues they have been packed with mud a couple times. 1421424690427.jpg 1421424718860.jpg 1421424767838.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I think you and I are talking about completely different worlds in terms of use.

Yes a slight rub from some dirt and you could peel off the plastidip and do it again and no one would ever know...but that wouldn't damage/scratch off bedliner either.

Hit a boulder with your plastidip and it can't be touched up to cover a deep gouge. Bed liner won't fill the gouge either, but it can be touched up. The ONLY benefit from plastidip there is, is that it's reversible back to stock.

Don't really get your point. If you hit a rock, you will destroy any finish, including the stock one. Plastidip is as durable or more durable than ANY paint (including spray on bedliner) and can easily be touched up, with the added bonus of being completely removable, and cheap to boot. Saying that it doesn't hold up to rocks and such isn't really a fair comparison, considering nothing holds up to rocks.

StrizzyChris

OK.... what I'm saying is....

Scratch a painted wheel and you'll just have a scratch.

Scratch a plastidipped wheel and it'll tear and rip across the wheel.

If you really wheel and abuse your jeep....then plastidip is silly and will require constant removal and redoing. Scratch paint and you only have to perform a 5 second TouchUp. Why do you not EVER hear of or see a truly used of road vehicle with plastidipped wheels? Why are rock rails nit covered with the crap? Because its dumb to waste your time and energy constantly fixing it. That's all I'm saying.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
OK.... what I'm saying is....

Scratch a painted wheel and you'll just have a scratch.

Scratch a plastidipped wheel and it'll tear and rip across the wheel.

If you really wheel and abuse your jeep....then plastidip is silly and will require constant removal and redoing. Scratch paint and you only have to perform a 5 second TouchUp. Why do you not EVER hear of or see a truly used of road vehicle with plastidipped wheels? Why are rock rails nit covered with the crap? Because its dumb to waste your time and energy constantly fixing it. That's all I'm saying.

I touch up with plastidip. Dab a tad of xylene on the torn edges, smooth em out, and spray on a little more. New dip melts in with the old making it pretty invisible. Beat wheels are going to look beat regardless of what finish you apply, but IMHO, dip makes them easier to fix with cleaner results than paint. Just my experience. Having said that, when it comes to wheels, if I was constantly bashing them, I wouldn't bother with any finish.

chipper

Here's my stock plasti dip wheels. I tried to give it a fake beadlock look. I used blue painters tape on the edge cut in small pieces to get a even edge. Looks good from a distance but up close not so good. I also used the glossifier so it wouldn't be so flat black looking. Also kept the center cap and lugs unpainted.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421456718.053872.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Here's my stock plasti dip wheels. I tried to give it a fake beadlock look. I used blue painters tape on the edge cut in small pieces to get a even edge. Looks good from a distance but up close not so good. I also used the glossifier so it wouldn't be so flat black looking. Also kept the center cap and lugs unpainted.
View attachment 119728

Thats a pretty bad tape line....I bet your mistake was peeling the tape after the plastidip dried. If you want sharp lines, you need to peel it while it's still wet, and if you use blue tape, you need to use the edgelock tape, not the regular one.

chipper

Thats a pretty bad tape line....I bet your mistake was peeling the tape after the plastidip dried. If you want sharp lines, you need to peel it while it's still wet, and if you use blue tape, you need to use the edgelock tape, not the regular one.

Yup. That's what happened. It was just tearing when I went to pull off the tape. I thinking of just making it all black. Should i peal off what's on there and start over? Or just clean it and spray on top of what's there?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yup. That's what happened. It was just tearing when I went to pull off the tape. I thinking of just making it all black. Should i peal off what's on there and start over? Or just clean it and spray on top of what's there?

You can smooth out the edges with xylene and then spray over. Watch the Dipyourcar YouTube video on how to repair plastidip.

Top Bottom