Plasti dipped wheels project

dwest80

Hey everyone,

I decided to stay with my stock wheels when I purchased new Toyo Open Country tires, but I desperately wanted them to be black. Plasti dip was my inexpensive solution, and everyone seemed to love the results! I know many people have done this, but I don't seem any harm in giving one more example for someone who may be borderline on wanting to attempt it! I applied very thin coats after surrounding each wheel with notecards, and I probably ended up with anywhere from 6-8 coats on each wheel. I allowed around 10 minutes in between each of these. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask. Here are the pics and enjoy!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070267.439309.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070278.873273.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070291.269542.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070303.959586.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070327.868837.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070361.337789.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070375.436318.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409070392.219879.jpg

StrizzyChris

They hold up just fine to water, very soft/loose mud.

It doesn't hold up at all to sand, thick mud with rock or debris, rocks, trees....you get the point.

If you don't take your rig off road where the wheel will contact anything solid in the environment, then you'll be fine. I even had deep sand take some of it off. It's great, though, if you are not sure if you will like your rims blacked out and want to just try it. Otherwise I would personally bed line them.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
looks good man! we just touched up my brothers wheels on his subi on sunday. it holds up really well but not to curbs lol

dwest80

They hold up just fine to water, very soft/loose mud.

It doesn't hold up at all to sand, thick mud with rock or debris, rocks, trees....you get the point.

If you don't take your rig off road where the wheel will contact anything solid in the environment, then you'll be fine. I even had deep sand take some of it off. It's great, though, if you are not sure if you will like your rims blacked out and want to just try it. Otherwise I would personally bed line them.

The only problem I have with bedline is that it is permanent. If you have any scuffs on these then you can simply touch them up and not even tell. I agree that it is a good test for black.

StrizzyChris

I think you and I are talking about completely different worlds in terms of use.

Yes a slight rub from some dirt and you could peel off the plastidip and do it again and no one would ever know...but that wouldn't damage/scratch off bedliner either.

Hit a boulder with your plastidip and it can't be touched up to cover a deep gouge. Bed liner won't fill the gouge either, but it can be touched up. The ONLY benefit from plastidip there is, is that it's reversible back to stock.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Jeep does look better with black wheels! I did the index card thing also but I used cheap paint from tractor supply. My rims are already chewed up. Too lazy to retouch. Looks good!

dwest80

Jeep does look better with black wheels! I did the index card thing also but I used cheap paint from tractor supply. My rims are already chewed up. Too lazy to retouch. Looks good!

Thanks! I understand the laziness as it took me over a month to finish my project after I got the plasti dip haha

dwest80

I think you and I are talking about completely different worlds in terms of use.

Yes a slight rub from some dirt and you could peel off the plastidip and do it again and no one would ever know...but that wouldn't damage/scratch off bedliner either.

Hit a boulder with your plastidip and it can't be touched up to cover a deep gouge. Bed liner won't fill the gouge either, but it can be touched up. The ONLY benefit from plastidip there is, is that it's reversible back to stock.

You read my response almost as an insult. I understand a gash is not going to be fixed by plasti dip. I was referring to if some of it (the plasti dip) came off the rim then you could easily touch it up.

StrizzyChris

No, no insult inferred. I was just making my point in contrast to yours. I have used it in the past, and have no qualms about using it in the future. I just know that its nearly the equivalent of plastidipping your belly skids and hoping a few touchups here and there will get you by.

If you drive only street and/or conditions where your rims will not touch anything, then it's a great product. If you wheel a lot, then its not. That's all I'm staying.

David1tontj

No, no insult inferred. I was just making my point in contrast to yours. I have used it in the past, and have no qualms about using it in the future. I just know that its nearly the equivalent of plastidipping your belly skids and hoping a few touchups here and there will get you by.

If you drive only street and/or conditions where your rims will not touch anything, then it's a great product. If you wheel a lot, then its not. That's all I'm staying.

And I truly believe you would know the best about the importance of touching up a trail damaged slider/wheel/skid. 😁

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Hack12

Sorry to revive an older thread but are the cards absolutely necessary? I've heard the plasti-dip will just peel off the tires cleanly.

I'm asking because I'm about to do my XJ's wheels.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sorry to revive an older thread but are the cards absolutely necessary? I've heard the plasti-dip will just peel off the tires cleanly.

Yes it will peel off the tires. Just spray it on.

Rubizon

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421362569.558378.jpg

Did my old set. As long as you use a thick enough coating around the edge, it should all peel up relatively easy. If there is any small pieces you missed, then as you drive they will loosen up and you can catch em

StrizzyChris

Yes it will peel off the tires. Just spray it on.

this! I never used any "barrier" when I did an old set of wheels a while back...I rubbed it off with my hands after it dried(or you can leave it because its almost unnoticeable since it's black rubber on on black rubber)

Top Bottom