TRONA : a Short Film

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's a small desert town out along the shores of an ancient dry lake bed called Trona. It's hard to imagine that anyone would want to live here and yet, there's something beautiful about it when you hear it told like this.

Clem319

Lol oh Trona. I used to travel there during my youth football days. The football field was just dirt with various rocks scattered everywhere. It was miserable!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ahhhhh Trona. Great video with an awesome message, sure puts things into perspective.

Btw I hear Trona is where you get stationed when you are on the Sheriff's shitlist in SB County. :eek: :yup:

Zstairlessone

Ha! Used to cut through Trona on the way back from Death Valley. I worked with people that lived and grew up there, still don't understand why/how people stay there (except for the jobs), maybe the desert and all the open land (what I loved about being in the Mojave).

.... I do miss being out there though

I think it's important to note that the video is mainly filmed showing "Pioneer Point" which is the nicest neighborhood. Doesn't show Trona or Argus or the dirt football field the school has.

Always felt sorry for the kids in Trona. Definitely have met some interesting people in that town.

Stop at the Trails Drive Through on your way to Death Valley and eat a pastrami burger. One of the best I've had.
Decent shakes too.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhhhh Trona. Great video with an awesome message, sure puts things into perspective.

Glad you enjoyed it. I thought the guy narrating essentially a mini-biography of his life was powerful.

Ha! Used to cut through Trona on the way back from Death Valley. I worked with people that lived and grew up there, still don't understand why/how people stay there (except for the jobs), maybe the desert and all the open land (what I loved about being in the Mojave).

.... I do miss being out there though

Trona is in a weird way a piece of heartland America only their harvest is minerals from a dry lakebed instead of grains from a field. We've been through it many times but never looked at it quite in this way before. I'm a sucker for the desert and love the place for what it is.

Thanks for posting the video, I enjoyed it.

You're most welcome. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I think it's important to note that the video is mainly filmed showing "Pioneer Point" which is the nicest neighborhood. Doesn't show Trona or Argus or the dirt football field the school has.

Always felt sorry for the kids in Trona. Definitely have met some interesting people in that town.

Stop at the Trails Drive Through on your way to Death Valley and eat a pastrami burger. One of the best I've had.
Decent shakes too.

This is correct, most of the shots were of Pioneer Point. It's hard to imagine that kids play football on rocky dirt.

Nicely shot video and cool story......however, it left me feeling very sad.

LOL!! Indeed, it does leave you with a sense of melancholy.

Clem319

This is correct, most of the shots were of Pioneer Point. It's hard to imagine that kids play football on rocky dirt.

I still have the scars on my elbows from that field. Almost all of us would be a bloody mess after the game.

Top Bottom