Jeep Funding

rescue7

Okay guys, I've been curious about something for a while. How in the heck do people on this forum fund some of these Jeep projects? I make really good money, have a paid off house, and still am lost. I watch these JK experience videos like a bad addiction hoping to one day be apart of one. However, I look at what's required, and the amount of money that must be involved. Furthermore, incurring body damage and having the funds for those repairs. I look at builds like Moby, and some other members, and can only think, that's not cheap.

Anyways, I'm not trying to pry into anyone's personal business. I'm looking to get myself a rubicon, probably and older one with low miles. But, with a family to take care of, and putting money in 401k and saving, I'm like how do I save for these mods?

I hope no one takes this post wrong. I, like everyone here, loves Jeep. I want to build the most badass one out there, and go on these long adventures. I just get in a slump when I think about funding it all.

Cheers fellows, and enjoitheride.

computeruser6

I got most of my work done after a seven month deployment. Didn't get much of a chance to spend money during that time. I also don't have a wife or kids, that probably helps out a lot. Some people can do a lot of their own fabrication and work, others save up for a long time, and a few have deep pockets. I would say most JK builds aren't "extreme", and a lot of people won't agree on what that means anyway. What are you planning on OP?

JKVADER

I say for most of the people it just takes time. Like I have had my jeep for 2 years now this month and im still not even close to what I want on it. And for a Jeep like Moby same thing im sure just takes time, if you look on Youtube you can kind of see the progress its made over time. People will sell the old parts off the jeep to upgrade. (not so much the stock parts but still can be sold for something) I know for me I still don't have a lift kit but I have been saving so I can go drive out to EVO next year Tax return time and get it.:rock: Idk how much that helped but yeah. Also Northridge is awesome and we get a discount and free shipping. I have had a great experience ordering from them.:2thumbsup:

JKWrang

Youve gotta remember most of these guys have been Jeeping for years and took the time to build these rigs up one piece at a time. I have to remind myself that Eddie didnt have Moby on day 1 lol. So my Jeep can be halfway where i want it for awhile.

There was that 1 guy who was liquid for 100k....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

Work your ass off and save/spend smart! I sacrafice a lot in some aspects of my personal life decisions so I can live lavishly in others. Never finance ANYTHING and only buy something you have the cash to pay for it with. Debt and paying interest is your biggest enemy! Pay all debt, and then save....

There was that 1 guy who was liquid for 100k....

:cheesy:

rescue7

Work your ass off and save/spend smart! I sacrafice a lot in some aspects of my personal life decisions so I can live lavishly in others. Never finance ANYTHING and only buy something you have the cash to pay for it with. Debt and paying interest is your biggest enemy! Pay all debt, and then save....

:cheesy:

Does that include the Jeep? Paying cash for a new Jeep isn't easy. Heck, even used ain't cheap.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I just save. I don't finance any jeep parts..takes time. And i only spend after my family's needs are taken care of first.

KingCopperhead

Plan, plan, plan. Read lots of build threads. Know that there are a lot of parts that will need supplemental parts to make work. Set a goal, and make it happen. Sacrifice! I personally have forsaken all other hobbies in favor of my Jeep addiction.

Set up a financial system that works for you. Some folks are good at saving money, others are good at paying bills. I personally hate using my savings money (my income fluctuates seasonally so I always like to have cash available for emergencies.) so I use a low interest line of credit from my bank to fund most of my bigger mods. I never exceed what I know I can pay off easily and I pay it off before I move on to the next mod. This is dicey and I wouldn't recommend it for most, but for me it's worked very well. The small amount of interest is the price I pay for peace of mind knowing I have cash for a dire emergency.

Everyone's financial situation is different. Some folks use work bonuses, or tax return money to fund their build. Others use equity from previous vehicles or mods to lighten the cost of their purchases. Others, well some folks DO have deep pockets, God bless em.

Don't forget, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was Moby :) over time we all get closer to where we want to be.

I use the principal of building in phases. I plan the build with what I want then set a target date for completion. On Monday I found a Rubicon Sway bar that was for sale cheap and was able to pick it up. I have been looking for about a year and just happened to have the coin saved up. Speaking of coins I have a plastic box in my closet that I empty out all my change into. Once it is full I cash it in and use that money towards my build. Another thing I have on my side is SWMBO has the same idea for building up the Jeep so when a good deal comes along it is easier to sell. What is hard is when the total build cost is looked at. That is why I do mine in phases. The total is not as large but in the end j get what I want. Lastly is patience, which sometimes does not come to easy for me. As mentioned earlier look at the various video's from 2008 to present of Moby and you will see the transformation. You can even see the transformation of EVO1 from being a stock Sahara to what it is today. It took time. If you rush too fast then you will regret not taking the time.

R/
Will

StrizzyChris

Does that include the Jeep? Paying cash for a new Jeep isn't easy. Heck, even used ain't cheap.

EVERYTHING in life....at least thats my moto towards buying anything in life. Not all feel the same, but it's the only way I will ever live! :yup:

eddy

I think I get what your thinking. Unless you have tons of money, its hard to justify spending what money you do have, on upgrades you don't need but want, Amirite? I tell ya, I really want the dyna`s, the evo`s, the slabs, etc.., but something tells me that I must be a good steward of my money, you know what I mean. If I get axles then I know I everything else will follow. That`s just me. I mean I can`t even buy a pack of chewing gum without opening it and chewing all of it right then and there. There goes $1.59. Anyway, I would love to have a jeep like Eddies "Moby" or "Ruby Ruby Ruby"{see what I did}, but I personally can`t justify a that kind of build for where I live "the mid-west"...yet. So my 07 sahara with its RC lift will have to do for now. Oh, keep in mind that according to Suze Orman, a guy couldn't afford a $600 pedal bike having 15k in savings :thinking:

rescue7

EVERYTHING in life....at least thats my moto towards buying anything in life. Not all feel the same, but it's the only way I will ever live! :yup:

You're doing great to be able to buy a rubicon with cash! Ha.

That's awesome. And the only things I've ever financed are my more expensive vehicles.

rescue7

I think I get what your thinking. Unless you have tons of money, its hard to justify spending what money you do have, on upgrades you don't need but want, Amirite? I tell ya, I really want the dyna`s, the evo`s, the slabs, etc.., but something tells me that I must be a good steward of my money, you know what I mean. If I get axles then I know I everything else will follow. That`s just me. I mean I can`t even buy a pack of chewing gum without opening it and chewing all of it right then and there. There goes $1.59. Anyway, I would love to have a jeep like Eddies "Moby" or "Ruby Ruby Ruby"{see what I did}, but I personally can`t justify a that kind of build for where I live "the mid-west"...yet. So my 07 sahara with its RC lift will have to do for now. Oh, keep in mind that according to Suze Orman, a guy couldn't afford a $600 pedal bike having 15k in savings :thinking:

Yes, you are correct. It's about being responsible. I think I just conclude a lot of these guys doing JKX have deep pockets. Maybe my thinking needs to be retooled, so I don't get bummed out about it. Even with an excellent job it still seems hard. IDK....

KingCopperhead

Yes, you are correct. It's about being responsible. I think I just conclude a lot of these guys doing JKX have deep pockets. Maybe my thinking needs to be retooled, so I don't get bummed out about it. Even with an excellent job it still seems hard. IDK....

It's all about what you want. Most of us work really hard for our money. I know I hate spending mine. The cost has to be worth it to you. Start out with some smaller mods. Go wheeling and see what you need. Sorting out need vs want is something that's helped me a lot. I'd love to be rocking out a full dtd coil over setup with pro rocks and slabs. But right now I'm nowhere near needing any of those mods. As my jeep sits right now, it exceeds my driving ability. In time that will change, and I'll build accordingly. We don't need to spend 50k in one shot to have a bad ass rig. That's just me though. I'm a newb :) now if you're a seasoned off reader and want a jkx capable rig tomorrow I hope you've got massive pockets (or a willingness to plunge head first into unrecoverable debt) but in reality a nice slow build works for most people.

I'll tell you this: I have a very decent job, a home, several children. I see to their current and future needs. (i.e. Bills are paid, kids and wife are spoiled, money is saved for the future) what I spend beyond that is my reward for working hard. I do it guilt free and with the support/blessing of my significant other. It makes me happy. As my better half says "boys need their toys."

Jackal01

Don't get bummed. Dreaming is half the fun (for me at least). I am nowhere near my phase 2 (18 months out at the rate I am going) but I read the threads, watched the videos for the 3453rd time, etc and just know that one day I am going to get there. This also gives me time to "perfectly" plan the build.

jeeeep

Hooked
I rethink everything I'm doing to my Jeep before I buy anything even with the cash in hand. it's easy to get lost in the build but for me I've decided to save up 3x what the upgrade costs and if I still want it when that time comes then I'll move forward. most times I realize it's not something I really need, this has saved me a lot of mistake purchases...but my friends have mentioned they miss the good deals they used to get from my mistakes lol

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Okay guys, I've been curious about something for a while. How in the heck do people on this forum fund some of these Jeep projects? I make really good money, have a paid off house, and still am lost. I watch these JK experience videos like a bad addiction hoping to one day be apart of one. However, I look at what's required, and the amount of money that must be involved. Furthermore, incurring body damage and having the funds for those repairs. I look at builds like Moby, and some other members, and can only think, that's not cheap.

Anyways, I'm not trying to pry into anyone's personal business. I'm looking to get myself a rubicon, probably and older one with low miles. But, with a family to take care of, and putting money in 401k and saving, I'm like how do I save for these mods?

I hope no one takes this post wrong. I, like everyone here, loves Jeep. I want to build the most badass one out there, and go on these long adventures. I just get in a slump when I think about funding it all.

Cheers fellows, and enjoitheride.

This forum, like most, has members on it in all income brackets. There are guys that can afford a Moby in cash, and others that need to build one over a decade. Most (including Eddie) build slowly as time and wheeling progresses. Buy what you need, when you can afford it, and you will enjoy it. A stock rubi is nothing to sneeze at, but as you get more hardcore with your wheeling, you can upgrade based on your needs, not what looks awesome on the internet. As much as I love Moby, I would have zero use for something like that in the NYC area.

Top Bottom